Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Running LEDs off radio channel?

I've seen these 3w LEDs for sale that are setup to run off a spare channel on the radio. All its doing is doing is grabbing power.
    Is this a bad idea powering LEDs off the radio? Personally I think it is, but I may be incorrect.

Thoughts?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I would say generally not a good idea, unless you're running an external BEC. You don't want to compromise your Rx power, or risk overloading the on-board BEC. Now, that said, if you're only talking about one or two LEDs, you might could get away with it. Depends on the ratings of the particular LED. Some LEDs require more voltage to emit enough light. Red LEDs require less voltage than blue LEDs, and therefore will be brighter than the blue ones on the same circuit. So you then have to get into balancing the circuit if you're using multiple LEDs and more than one color. Balancing the circuit requires some knowlege of electronics, or a good Google search might turn up an "LED balancer" app that can help. But in the end, you're better off using an external BEC or a 9V battery.
    Just a schmoe....