Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

Old Spektrum DX3 and brand new Radiolink RC4G going nuts.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Old Spektrum DX3 and brand new Radiolink RC4G going nuts.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 02:25 PM
Tommygunn792

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Spektrum DX3 and brand new Radiolink RC4G going nuts.

I've just purchased a Radiolink RC4G to replace my old Spektrum DX3 since I was having problems with the Spektrum, probably the Rx.
Anyway, both are acting up in similar, or rather random ways, in that when two separate servos or two paired servos (e.g. LST2 twin steering servos) are plugged in they jitter, function LED flashes, do random movements, sometimes I can control them and other times a mixture of all.
Since I was using an old Nimh 5 cell pack from my Losi LST2 to power the Rx and servos I figured it was tired and even though it was freshly charged it was giving out 2. something Volts under load. So I ditched that and knocked five Eneloops together giving out a nice 6.3Volts but even with that both radio sets are acting up.

My best guess is that this is an issue of Amps and I need more. Are these classic signs of a lack of Amperage? Can I expect my problems to be resolved once I receive my Hobbywing 150A ESC which puts out 6V/3A.

Incidentally, I just conducted two tests with the Radiolink RC4G which is crucial to the electrification of my Losi LST2. With two steering servos plugged into the one steering socket they go mad, jittering, swinging left and right. However, if I plug in two other Losi standard size servos (which used to be for throttle and gear change) into the steering and throttle sockets they work absolutely fine. Why is that?

Any ideas?
Tom.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:27 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
You tested this battery pack that you made?
How many battery packs have you successfully soldered together in the past?

What are the make and model numbers of the servos you are using?

Try plugging one of the steering servos in the throttle and one of the "regular" servos in the steering ports. If both work OK then remove the one steering servo and plug in the other steering servo in its place and see if both servos work.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:25 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Separate BECs are cheap and small. I make it a habit to never use the BEC on a motor controller.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:40 PM
Tommygunn792

Flyinwalenda,
Soldering is not the issue here(my soldering is exemplary), see my copied post from RC Groups, below.

Rgburrill,
I am seriously considering a UBEC.

Ok, some more information.
The Nimh pack is as old as the truck so nearly 10years, it's done. The Eneloops are just knocked together in one of those plastic spring type battery holders, so obviously not the best contacts from cell to cell.
I did do a test when the Eneloops were under load, i.e. waggling both throttle and steering with servos that work and the worst I got was about 4.8V. or thereabouts.
I've got my converted PC power supply on the bench but only socketed for 12V. I'll mod the 5V line with a socket tomorrow and see if proper amperage does the trick.

I did a more complete tests today to see what differences if any there are between the old Spektrum and the new Radiolink. I should point out the Spektrum came with the LST2 (ready to run) and when I got it, it all worked with the now knackered Nimh pack. However, since it has been sat in it's box for a long time it seems to have decayed. Nothing, however, has been changed, only the radio gear, so the steering servos are still the Losi branded HT-1 (High Torque) servos - which used to work just fine.

Anyway....

Spektrum:
2x Towerpro Micros - OK.
2x Turnigy TGY-50090M - Goes nuts.
1x Turnigy TGY-50090M - Out of control, then nothing (both steering and throttle).
2x Losi SS-1 (Heavy Duty) - Both just shut down, nothing.
1x Losi SS-1 - Works then shuts down.
2x Losi HT-1 (High Torque) - Goes nuts.
1x Losi HT-1 (High Torque) - Goes nuts.

Radiolink:
2x Towerpro Micros - OK.
2x Turnigy TGY-50090M - Goes nuts.
1x Turnigy TGY-50090M - Goes nuts (both steering and throttle).
2x Losi SS-1 (Heavy Duty) - OK, momentary LED glitch.
1x Losi SS-1 - OK.
2x Losi HT-1 (High Torque) - Goes nuts.
1x Losi HT-1 (High Torque) - Goes nuts.

As you can see the results are pretty much the same which makes me suspect the power supply.

Thoughts?

Tom.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:16 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need a bec with those servos. What you need is a good battery pack. Get one or wait until you get the ESC.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:43 AM
Tommygunn792

All sorted. I tracked down 4 Alkalines and also used a nearly discharge 2S lipo and everything works great.
Definitely a case of crappy/incapable battery cells.

Tom.