Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

3PM-FS Pro versus 3PM-FASST?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Xyzzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3PM-FS Pro versus 3PM-FASST?

I'm looking for a radio for my son's RC10GT2. It is going to take us a month or two (physically and financially) to finish the kit, so I'm not in a rush with getting a radio. That said, I am comparing models to see what is out there. We have two 9451 Futaba digital servos already and I think we want to run "HRS" mode. (All this is new to me, the last time I bought a radio was in 1987!)

Right now we have narrowed it down to the 3PM-FS Pro and the 3PM FASST.

3PM-FS Pro ($165):

Available today
Digitally synthesized Tx and Rx
"HRS" compatible with digital servos

3PM-FASST ($200)

Will have to wait until March or April
Uses some sort of spread spectrum deal that makes channels obsolete?
"HRS" compatible with digital servos

We had budgeted $200 for the Rx and TX.

My questions:

1) What is "HRS"? I can't find anything about it that makes sense.
2) Which radio is best for us? I assume (?) the 2.4GHz model is more "future proof"?
3) We really can't afford to buy a new radio that often.
4) Reliability is our primary goal, with responsiveness second.
5) If the FASST system adds a "layer of abstraction" between the driver and the car that wouldn't interest us.

We don't mind waiting for a month or so. In fact, we have a 3PM-FASST on backorder at TH, just in case.

We appreciate any thoughts or comments!
Old 02-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Nomadio_Sales

Default RE: 3PM-FS Pro versus 3PM-FASST?

HRS is just a way to burn up slow frame rate servos it sends redundant packets of data within a 75Hz frame rate structure it will fry some analog servos but the digitals can take the data. That said you already have digitals. The FASST system is the second fastest 2.4GHz on the market, Nomadio at 100Hz is faster and will not over drive analog servos.

Now 2.4 FHDSS / DSSS is MUCH better then 75MHz for rejecting glitches and or some one turning on their radios over your ch and forcing you into failsafe or the wall.

Line up the features of the radios side by side I think you will hold on for the 2.4GHz system even though its already a generation behind other 2.4GHz on the market but it is quantum leaps above 75MHz.

I see you also joined the Nomadio forum WELCOME!
Old 02-14-2007, 12:13 AM
Xyzzy

I see you also joined the Nomadio forum WELCOME!
Yeah, I'm checking out all the options out there. My old radio from 1987 is a Futaba so I have an emotional attachment to the brand I guess. Their website is a little hard to extract info from, though. For example, I cannot find even one paper that explains HRS.

Looking at the Nomadio I'm not really interested in the 2way data collection so I figured maybe the 3PM would be "simpler". Plus, Futaba has been around for quite a few years. I'm not saying these are things that are deal breakers but I won't lie to you and tell you they don't matter.

At this point I am in over my head on all of this technology. I have a ham license but I'm stuck back in the 1960's when it comes to transmitters.

Again, thanks forthe reply, and any links or comments are greatly appreciated. The good news is I have time to decide and I have an open mind.

(I bet the real test between the Nomadio and the 3PM would be the "we ain't got no manual lets go racing" test.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:15 AM
IamDisaster

The big thing about the 2.4Ghz systems is they are spread spectrum technologies that bind the radio to the receiver. They operate over a wider range of frequencies which increases their range and reduces interference. Because they aren't linked to a frequency you don't have to deal with matching the frequency of the receiver to the radio and you don't have to worry about someone else on your same channel. You will never have someone else turn on their radio and interfere with your car.

I wouldn't consider a radio for a new car with the old technology...especially if there is any chance you will run with other RC's...or race at a track.

There are many different ones to chose from. At the low end, Spektrum sells the DX2 which is a two channel very basic radio for $170. Futaba is coming out with a 3PM-FASST and Airtronics a MX3-FHSS (both 3 channel radios) which have more features like exponential and lap counting for about the same price. I expect both will have the same features as the non-2.4Ghz versions...which get great reviews. The Nomadio React is even more feature rich...much closer to a high end radio, like the 3PK...but a much better value.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:30 AM
joffacn

Hi

With the 2.4GHz systems (DSM, Nomadio, Futaba, ..) are we locked into using only that manufacturers Rx?

Thanks Jeff
Old 02-25-2007, 06:57 AM
IamDisaster

ORIGINAL: joffacn

Hi

With the 2.4GHz systems (DSM, Nomadio, Futaba, ..) are we locked into using only that manufacturers Rx?

Thanks Jeff
Yes, with one exception. Nomadio posted earlier that their React can operate the Spektrum Rx. They are planning on developing compatibility with the other 2.4Ghz systems as well. The radios will be able to be upgraded with the computer link when this compatibility becomes available. That compatibility sold me on the React.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:42 AM
Xyzzy

Just a follow up to our original post.

We purchased a 3PM-FS Pro yesterday from TH for $144.99 with free shipping. I was going to wait another month for the FASST version but at our (novice) level the regular version should be fine and it still has HRS and is fully synthesized. Plus, the price is real good. They must be moving them out to make room for the new ones. In case anyone is interested the special price stock number is WS1704. One other thought we had is we usually don't buy "first generation" electronics. We realize the FASST system has been available in the 3PK line for a while but we'll feel better after there are a few million user hours behind the design. Maybe at Christmas we'll upgrade?
Old 02-25-2007, 09:04 AM
IamDisaster

ORIGINAL: Xyzzy

Just a follow up to our original post.

We purchased a 3PM-FS Pro yesterday from TH for $144.99 with free shipping. I was going to wait another month for the FASST version but at our (novice) level the regular version should be fine and it still has HRS and is fully synthesized. Plus, the price is real good. They must be moving them out to make room for the new ones. In case anyone is interested the special price stock number is WS1704. One other thought we had is we usually don't buy "first generation" electronics. We realize the FASST system has been available in the 3PK line for a while but we'll feel better after there are a few million user hours behind the design. Maybe at Christmas we'll upgrade?

That is a good price for the synthesized Pro. However, when I check Tower's price now it is $170 and the MX3 2.4Ghz is coming out at around that price. I've got a bunch of cars and several older radios. I'll probably upgrade my 3PK to FASST, buy an MX3 or two and a React. I've got a Spektrum DX3 now but I'm not happy with the limited features on the radio. I'm not sure why they didn't choose a slightly higher feature set because it is based on a JR radio and JR has more features. I miss the throttle and steering fine tune controls like exponential. The 3PM is very nice in that regard.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:08 AM
Xyzzy

That is a good price for the synthesized Pro. However, when I check Tower's price now it is $170 and the MX3 2.4Ghz is coming out at around that price.
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=WS1704]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=WS1704[/link]
Old 02-25-2007, 09:22 AM
IamDisaster

ORIGINAL: Xyzzy

That is a good price for the synthesized Pro. However, when I check Tower's price now it is $170 and the MX3 2.4Ghz is coming out at around that price.
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=WS1704]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=WS1704[/link]
Looks a lot like this one.
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLZP2&P=ML]3PM Pro at Tower[/link]
I hate how difficult it is to search for things on Tower's site. Sometimes I have the exact spelling and it still shows no results in the search.
Did you use a special code that came from a flyer or stumble onto that price?

This is the puppy I'm going to pick up as soon as it becomes available.
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000137278&I=LXPNM6&P=K]Airtronics MX-3FHSS[/link]
Old 02-25-2007, 09:25 AM
Xyzzy

Looks a lot like this one.
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLZP2&P=ML]3PM Pro at Tower[/link]
I hate how difficult it is to search for things on Tower's site. Sometimes I have the exact spelling and it still shows no results in the search.
Did you use a special code that came from a flyer or stumble onto that price?
If you look the manufacturer code is the exact same. I got a little coupon in yesterday's order with the "special" price and stock code.