Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Which 2.4 GHz system for me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 07:38 AM
joffacn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which 2.4 GHz system for me?

Hi

I am looking to buy a new Car Radio and the choices seem to be a DX3.0 or a Fut 3PM FASST.

Binding and Using:
Do you have to go through the binding steps everytime you power up? Or is it only the first time so the Rx gets the Unique coding from the Tx?
After this first time binding it is just a matter of turn on Tx, turn on Rx and wait while they link?
What about Fail Safe - each time or just the first time?

Channels:
What is the range? The Air info is stating 3000ft.
In time with all manufaturers offering 2.4 GHz products - will Channel availability become blocked by other users?
Are there only 79 channels?

Because a system cannot use a channel already in use - it may mean that there will have to be some regulation at busy races to permit free channels.
If everyone thought they could just turn on their system to check out and tune cars then maybe channel space could be an issue.

I am wondering if I just go with a 3PKS until the systems really sort themselves out. Then at a later date go for either a FASST system of the DSM Pro module.

What thoughts on this?

Jeff
Old 02-28-2007, 09:27 AM
OneFastRCRacer8

Default RE: Which 2.4 GHz system for me?

buy a Nomadio, it is the best there is no one has anything better.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:54 AM
t-hayden

I go with the Nomadio sensor or the Nomadio React 2.4GHz Radios
Old 03-01-2007, 11:12 AM
TheLinkster

Of the two... get the 3PM. The DX3.0 doesent have many features.
If you have another $60 to spend you can get the Nomadio React or Sensor from unlimitedengineering.com. Nomadio's stuff is top of the line!!!!
Old 03-01-2007, 03:02 PM
pox67

Hi,

I am looking into a new radio as well. Unfortunately Nomadio is out as there is no local supplier I can find for Canada (add Canadian taxes, shipping and duty to US orders).

So I had come down to the Futaba 3PM FASST or the Spektrum DX3.0

Futaba 3PM 2.4GHz Tx/Rx Only - $229CAD
- no servos
- single receiver
- rechargeable battery pack?

Spektrum DX3.0 - $259CAD
- 2 servos
- 2 receivers (big bonus here)
- rechargeable battery pack?

I already have servos but "free" ones are always handy. That extra receiver is a real big plus for the extra $30.
This will be for 1/18th cars at the moment but I never know where I will be in 6months...

So are there any reasons that I can't see that the Futaba is better than the Spektrum?
Old 03-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Jeckler
My Feedback: (2)

Let's see if I get this right....

Spektrum's 2.4Ghz tech is DSSS. It locks onto one channel, and stays there, until you turn it off and back on again. I've read (somewhere) that there is a theoretical limit to how many people can have their Spektrums on at any one time. I wanna say it's 79, but am not 100% sure.

The Nomadio, and I believe the Futaba FASST system use FHDSS. It's constantly (100 times/second?) switching channels on the band, so potentially billions (or something equally outrageous) of people could have their systems on at the same time and not interfere with each other.

I'm not sure on any of this, so hopefully someone else will chime in if I got it wrong.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Nomadio_Sales

We have an importer in Canada [email protected]