Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Who makes a Good radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 12:05 AM
French_Fry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who makes a Good radio

I am new in the rc world. The radio that came with my ct4s, well its cheap. What is a good radio package without the servos. I want to switch from AM 27mhz to something with longer range. I'm looking to spend up to $200.00
Old 03-07-2007, 01:56 AM
okFAB

Default RE: Who makes a Good radio

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SPM20200

Im picking this up tomorrow from the local hobby shop. Longer range, no glitchs, good looking radio IMO and its CHEAP!!!
Old 03-07-2007, 11:07 AM
SportCrystals

All the major brands are great! If your local hobby shop has decent sales people that know their products, they should properly suggest the right radio for you. Be prepared to spend a little more to meet your needs a year or so from now if you think you will stay with the hobby. Don't rule out the extra money for a Nomadio type of radio, it's great technology! (YES, this came from a guy that makes hs living manufacturing and marketing R/C crystals!!!).

ORIGINAL: French_Fry

I am new in the rc world. The radio that came with my ct4s, well its cheap. What is a good radio package without the servos. I want to switch from AM 27mhz to something with longer range. I'm looking to spend up to $200.00
Old 03-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Nomadio_Sales

If its pure range your talking about a good 27MHz radio will give you more range then the radio listed in the link above. 27MHz has a longer wavelength and longer range then 75MHz with the same power output.

And thats from a guy who sells 2.4Ghz that used to sell crystal radios LOL
Old 03-07-2007, 11:41 PM
French_Fry

thanks for the input
so is it better to go with a radio system without crystals
Old 03-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Nomadio_Sales

YES! IMHO Nomadio makes the best.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:11 AM
FalloutMan

yeah because with a cyrstaless radio, which are called PCM radios, there are no channels that you have to worry about. When you turn on the reciever adn transmitter, they talk to eachother, then encrypt the signal like a WEP or WPA key for a wireless network. This way there is no interference from other channels and frequencies. In short, if you race or drive with friends a lot, it is deffinently worth it to get a PCM radio because you wont have to carry around a pocket full of crystals.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:04 PM
SportCrystals

<In process of drafting a sale agreement of my company to Nomadio>
ORIGINAL: Nomadio_Sales

YES! IMHO Nomadio makes the best.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Nomadio_Sales

PCM = Pulse Code Modulation = Crystal based even with a synth RF deck. Has nothing to do with running another radio on the same Ch as can happen with normal crystal basaed radios . Yes it filters out some of the unwanted RF but it takes time is slow and can lead to PCM lock out.

YOU SHOULD NEVER run on the same CH as another racer even if you have PCM (I call it Pre Crash Mode) ALL PCM does for you is filter out some stray RF to cut glitches and force you to buy high priced receivers from the same company. Multiplex was the first with PCM and the first to drop it for software based receivers IPD. That stull use crystals or are crystal based synth receivers.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:48 AM
FalloutMan

wait, so a radio lik ehte React has crystals? damn, if nVidia can make my graphics cards (2 8800GTXs in SLI ) more powerful than most of your guy's computers, then they shoudl be able to make a crystaless radio. i thought with pcm, it was flick on and your reciever and tranmitter talk and choose an empty channel adn there was no crystal telling you what to do.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:40 AM
Nomadio_Sales

We have no Crystals in the React
Old 03-09-2007, 05:53 AM
Sgt_BF_Gunner

Airtronics MX-3FHSS (Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum!)

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPNM6&P=7

At $164.99 minus $20 on-line "Ad Number", $144.99 for a great Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum radio.

I just hope they come out soon!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65887.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	638443  
Old 03-09-2007, 07:50 PM
FalloutMan

yeah, thats what i though, but wasnt sure after your post. So, if you wouldnt mind, would you care to tell us about how they work? im kinda guessin its like a wireless network.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Rob6

IMO i tested the Nomadio to day and it just wasn't me ya know? But the DX2.0 is a real good radio that isn't "odd shaped".. ()
Old 03-09-2007, 09:45 PM
FalloutMan

its not about feel, its about performance when comes to racing. You can get used to almost anything.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Rob6

For me.. I am only 13 so SOME radios don't fit my had or some things i don't like about them...
Old 03-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Sgt_BF_Gunner

I agree with CRTracer. I was looking for the best Hopping Spread Spectrum... I ended up chosing the Airtronics MX-3FHSS because of its traditional look and feel.

I LOVE the Nomadio technology, but... I don't care for the clunky looking "transceiver" and more so the React's case. I haven't held one yet but from what I have read the case isn't up to snuff, build quality wise.

I want a radio that when I am holding it, has some mass to it. I don't want the handle twisting and the seems shifting like a RTR AM radio.

I mean no disresepct to Nomadio... Just calling it like a consumer sees it. I can't take the look of the Sensor... The React is more of a high-tech traditional but doesn't "look" solid. Even with the same shape case, if it used a different or thicker plastic with maybe a rubber grip coating or something it would feel better to the consumer.

I love the tech of the Nomadio, hooking up to the PC is awesome. I just can't deal with questional build quality (materials) and RTR looking buttons and trigger. I know Nomadio doesn't want to invest or wait for a new case design but if they used something with more sturdiness to it I would be sold. Even the power switch "looks" cheaper than one that was more traditional looking.

I think you guys know what I mean. Wrap that Nomadio radio in the MX3 or 3PM body (not that their plastic case is any stronger) and they would sell even better.

IMHO
Old 03-10-2007, 07:40 PM
rcxboy

So you judge strength by looking at pictures on the internet? Where did you read that it wasn't strong?
Old 03-10-2007, 07:46 PM
NYCrewF150

I love the tech of the Nomadio, hooking up to the PC is awesome. I just can't deal with questional build quality (materials) and RTR looking buttons and trigger. I know Nomadio doesn't want to invest or wait for a new case design but if they used something with more sturdiness to it I would be sold. Even the power switch "looks" cheaper than one that was more traditional looking.

I'm with Gunner. My home track buddies and I would buy the React in no time; but, the quality of the plastics and overall quality of the materials is not equal to the other products on the market. Guys who have bought the React are reporting how fragile the React is. Some people who have purchased the React have reported simply bumping or tipping the React over on a table and it is cracking or breaking the case and or stearing mechanism. The technology appears to be super but the method that Nomadio delivers the technology, i.e., radio body/case, appears to be questionable from a functional/performance/durability perspective. The RC market is very competitive and companies need to deliver quality, functionality, durability, technical support, etc. etc. to entice those who are in the market to purchase their product. Otherwise, the company will loose the market share potential they could have gained. Nomadio appears to have cut corners and do it the "quick" way by using a product that was available, i.e., radio case and installing their technology into this case. This decision may prove to be a mistake.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Nomadio_Sales

LOL if you only knew.. hehehehehehe

NYCrewF150 did you know we buy the cases form Multiplex who is known for the top radios in the world?
Old 03-10-2007, 08:40 PM
NYCrewF150

Yeap, I sure did know that the case is made by Multiplex. I'm reflecting the sentiments of several seasoned racers and people who are and have been in the RC business for many many years. Those people that I have talked to in the RC business not only sell but produce RC products for the mass market. Thats why I trust what they have to say. I've asked those people who are far more experienced than I in terms of years of experience in the business and as fellow racers and they are not providing me with favorable feedback relative to the React. I was sincerely hoping they would provide positive feedback for the React. Yes, they have seen and used the React and have gained some experience with the product. As with most products, there are those who are very supportive and those who are less supportive of any particular product. I'm reflecting some very positive aspects of the React product, ie., technology/electronics are superior; but, maybe myself and others, e.g., Gunner, have some comments and observations that may have some degree of objectivity and merit with regard to the React.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:51 PM
bentgear

I think he is just getting the Sensor and the React mixed up. I love the feel of the Sensor but feel the React may be of better materials quality. To me feel is very important in radio selection, either wheel or stick radio.

Frech_Fry, lots of good basic radios out there and some of the high end jobs have a dumbed down mode for use untill you get deeper into the hobby. Look around, feel a few in the hands, read over the specs, download a few manuals to see if they make sense to you. Nothings worse than getting a radio and discovering that you don't want to do any study to make use of the features. As far as high end radios go, this is one point where Nomadio excells, ease of use.

Ed M.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Sgt_BF_Gunner

rcxboy
Examples and statements are everywhere. Again, I mean no disrespect to Nomadio or their radios. I applaude their high tech (I always want leading edge). But, the build quality has to be beefed up. The radio chassis has to be worthy of it's capabilities.

I am just hoping that Nomadio can take the constructive critisim and put it to use for their good as well as ours. Listen to the consumer! We are giving feedback about a product and have recommendations to improve it.

I would love to have all that Nomadio's radios can do. I just can't, along with many others, because we don't like the "cheap" plastic. You all deep down know what I mean. What do you think all the fancy aluminum parts, carbon fiber, the latest materials being used in the cars if for. We love it. Buy the generic plastic version of a same car, ou couldn't give it away.

So Karlton, no offense intended man. Beef that unit up, give it a little more rigidity, maybe a little more classic lines and they'd be selling like hotcakes.

Man, good old made in the USA. I wanna do it but I want a Ford F350, not a Ford Ranger with GPS.

My 2 cents,
Gary
Old 03-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Rob6

ORIGINAL: Nomadio_Sales

LOL if you only knew.. hehehehehehe

NYCrewF150 did you know we buy the cases form Multiplex who is known for the top radios in the world?
I'm sorry but right now i am questioning if you are a professional... The last couple of posts seem "childish" But we all have to have fun sometimes..
Old 03-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Nomadio_Sales

CRTracer we race toy cars for bowling trophies come on lighten up we are with friends here....

Sgt_BF_Gunner no offense taken but the React has better build quality for the $$ then other brands and more features.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.