Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
Futaba 3PM 2.4ghz
70.11%
Airtronics MX3 FHSS
29.89%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Battle of the cheap 2.4ghz radios

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 08:40 PM
chrobar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battle of the cheap 2.4ghz radios

Hello everybody. I'm looking to get a new radio, but I don't want to spend that much (up to $200). I have been researching for a while, and I made up a few choices. I might add the Nomadio React on to the poll because it is amazing for the price.
Thanks everybody, and if you have any other radios you have in mind, please post.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Damin69

Default RE: Battle of the cheap 2.4ghz radios

My Vote is on the Nomadio React. I have had it for about 6 months now and for the money can not be beat. So many features packed into a radio for great price.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:26 AM
JRexA

In Europe, Carson is comming with the Acoms/Technisport Hayabusa 2.4ghz 2 channel radio, list price is € 99.95. Some has had it listet at prices at around € 80(US$115), but not in stock yet.

Receiver is 3 channel, at some time they where mentioning a Telemetry compatability..... Wonder if it is a Spektrum copy?
http://www.carson-modelsport.com/de/...uktdetails.htm (Radio, In german)
Old 10-23-2007, 01:30 AM
cheech4

ORIGINAL: Damin69

My Vote is on the Nomadio React. I have had it for about 6 months now and for the money can not be beat. So many features packed into a radio for great price.

he did say up to 200, the nomadio unless you get lucky and pick upp a used one doesnt fall in that catergory for under 200, I have the futaba fasst 3pm and this thing is AWSOM, fast fast fast.. and even faster when you use digital servos in hrs mode.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:06 PM
chrobar

I just read that the Airtronics MH3 is just as fast as the Nomadio React, 100hz. This was said by a nomadio official. Now I'm sort of leaning toward airtronics, and the new receiver is smaller than a quarter [X(]
Old 10-23-2007, 04:49 PM
GYNAIKAS

If one of the two...I'd go for the futaba!
Old 10-28-2007, 09:44 PM
D-Fly
My Feedback: (9)

I like the futaba beter becuase the reciver wire in only five inches where the airtroncis in 14 inchs so if can get ripped of if you flop you car. The futaba wasw also recomended by my lhs he told me that the new fhss mx3 has short range and his freind tried both and like the fubata. but the airtronics dose look awsome
Old 10-29-2007, 06:26 AM
Damin69

ORIGINAL: cheech4

he did say up to 200, the nomadio unless you get lucky and pick upp a used one doesnt fall in that catergory for under 200, I have the futaba fasst 3pm and this thing is AWSOM, fast fast fast.. and even faster when you use digital servos in hrs mode.
I saw he said up to 200. He also said he might add the Nomadio React if you read all the way through his post. I just stated That if he added it to his list that would be my Vote. Great Radio for a Great Price.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:50 AM
-Inverted-

Honestly they are all great. Also consider a Hitec SRX/CRX with the Spektrum module!

Do a feature comparison and lots of research before you purchase. Also remember, the holidays are coming which is a key time for new items.

Vert
Old 10-29-2007, 12:00 PM
cheech4

ORIGINAL: cheech4

I saw he said up to 200. He also said he might add the Nomadio React if you read all the way through his post. I just stated That if he added it to his list that would be my Vote. Great Radio for a Great Price.

i still would pick the futaba fasst, with a digital servo and in HRS mode, its just as fast as the nomadio, and 120 $ cheaper.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:18 AM
Losi18

Hey guys, I currently have a Sanwa MX-3 FM and am looking to go 2.4MHz and am deciding between these 2 radios. I was leaning towards the Airtronics MX3 FHSS because I am already familiar with how it works but I want to learn a little more about the Futaba. Is it as easy to use as the MX-3? Is there any noticable differences in features or performance between these 2? I plan to race but I don't need the best stuff out there.

Also what are those 2 buttons on the handle where your thumb would be? Is it possible to accidentally hit them?

Old 10-31-2007, 01:05 PM
rchotrodz

ORIGINAL: JRexA

In Europe, Carson is comming with the Acoms/Technisport Hayabusa 2.4ghz 2 channel radio, list price is € 99.95. Some has had it listet at prices at around € 80(US$115), but not in stock yet.

Receiver is 3 channel, at some time they where mentioning a Telemetry compatability..... Wonder if it is a Spektrum copy?
http://www.carson-modelsport.com/de/...uktdetails.htm (Radio, In german)
I like that radio just because it is different looking...
Old 10-31-2007, 01:17 PM
Jetdktr
My Feedback: (21)

Of the 2 posted I would go Futaba. But I think you should look at th Spektrum DX2 and the DX3. The DX2 goes for about $169 at most Hobby Shops and the DX3 goes for about $229. The DX3 also comes with 2 recievers so you can outfit 2 vehicles. For the extra $29 over the $200 limit you have posted its worth it for the extra Rx. Another plus is that the antennas are only an inch long, so no getting ripped off when you bite the dust.
Just my $.02 worth,
Jim
Old 11-02-2007, 08:33 AM
tcochuck

cheap is such a relative phrase...
can you add telemetry to any of these other radios?? spektrum/jr sure, but for an additional $135 or so.. so now there well over the $350 mark.. nomadio radios come with it standard, yup u will have to buy sensors separately to go with the react, but the sensor radio in one configuration comes with them standard, included, no extra charge.

airtronics nor futaba have that feature allowed that i am aware of.

the built in failsafe, abs brakes, and all the other features on the react in my mind makes it a winner hands down.

but on a side note, if i were to HAVE to stick in that price range and was not interested nor needed the telemetry function i think the futaba would be a better choice from comparing specs. and talking with a few that own one..

have fun, and good luck..
Old 11-09-2007, 03:58 PM
JagImaging

I just got the 3pm 2.4 yesterday..I love it..For me it was between that and the DX 3.0..I tried both and for me the Futaba felt a lot better in my hand( compared to the Spektrum ). Between the Futaba and the Airtronics Im sure they are both as good as each other( I also have a MX-A and it feels good in the hand too) but I love my 3PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:44 AM
DriftProjectR

i had the nomadio react before, it was a great system. to bad someone knocked it off the table at the local track[:@]. if not the nomadio go with the mx3, i use to work at hobby people (global hobbies own airtronics now). i think it has a lot to offer. its like a m11 just watered down.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:44 PM
chrobar

Well, I have been researching for a while and I see that there are flaws with both the airtronics and Nomadio, mostly the nomadio. Futaba doesn't have a forum, so I can't comment. I don't like how weird the battery is on the React, and how many rules you hav to follow as to not ruin the radio. It just seems very fragile, and so many times there are people needing help for their transmitter not working with the PC, and such. The Airtronics looks a bit more promising for me. I just with that the Futaba or Airtronics had an external module so I can upgrade to a 3PK or M11 one day.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:44 PM
chrobar

Ok, well I ended up ordering the Futaba 3PM 2.4ghz off of B main hobbies for $168. I think it was a good deal, hopefully I'll like it. I was literally a click away from ordering the Airtronics M11 for $250, but I stayed away from it. I was equally close to ordering the Nomadio, but both of those radios just seem too much for me. I only really need a 2.4ghz system with enough features for some once a month club racing. The reason I didn't get the react was because of the weird battery pack. If it was regular, I would have gotten it. Oh well, whatever..wouldas, couldas, shouldas. Tell me your opinion on my order.
Thanks
Tom
Old 11-24-2007, 08:47 PM
cheech4

you got your self a great radio, you will not be dissapointed.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:48 PM
CrazyCooydog

Chorbar.. Please give us youor thoughts on your new 3pm..
would like to know how you like it I'm thinking of getting same system for my E maxx

One question though "is it possible to programe more than one modle into this system.
Or was that the 3pk I was thinking
It will work with the stock traxas servo....right....not being digital
Old 12-06-2007, 04:45 PM
phoenex1

Crazy--I have the Futaba 3PM 2.4ghz radio and I love it ----I use it with my E-Maxx and T-Maxx as well as with 2 HPI RS4-3 ss nitro touring cars. Each car and each truck have their own receiver so I just have to change the model number on the transmitter and I set to go. I think you should spend the extra money and get the rechargeable battery with the radio ---The charger plugs right into the transmitters handle.

Have fun
Old 12-07-2007, 01:18 AM
CrazyCooydog

was at the lhs tonight and gut trying to sell me 3pksuper($300...)
I think thats a bit over kill for bashing .. and the ocational backyard race with the buddies.
3PM FASS is only $189.00
I think I will get the 3PM fass tommorrowbut The wife says I will have to wait till Xmas morrning to try it out.[:@]
Old 12-07-2007, 01:26 AM
phoenex1

Oh man that's cruel --Christmas is a long time away --Maybe you could let her have the box and she could wrap that up for you and you get to use the radio now. She can't kill a guy for trying! good luck I don't think you will be sorry with the choice

Old 12-07-2007, 08:09 PM
CrazyCooydog

Yea I guess that wouldn't hurt anything.Till xmas mornning,[X(] then look out ...[sm=punching.gif]
I thhink I WILL HAVE TO GIVE IT A TEST RUN just TO MAKE SURE it works..[sm=lol.gif]

This is the first time I used Beadlocks.. was a bit tough to put them together. but got easyer by the time I was done all four.

off to the lhs to get 3pm fass. I will post my thoughts tommorow
Old 12-07-2007, 08:19 PM
chrobar

Alright guys, well I'm on the same boat as crazydog, so I can't really tell you personally how it performs. It has 10 model memory, so you can store up to 10 vehicles. I'm not sure though, but really, how many of us have more that 10 RCs that they run constantly?? I only have one so I don't really worry about that. The receiver wire is very short, which I like. It'll probably only stick out for the box a tiny hit, definitely under the lid. Both digital and analog servos will work fine with the radio. However, if you plan on using the HRS mode, it can only use digital servo because analog servo are not as advanced with the circuitry. The HRS mode functions at 75Hz, I think, making it up to 50% faster than standard FM radios.
Good luck with your purchase, and all I have to say is that you should jump on the band wagon, that way we should make a thread for only the Futaba 3PM radio. Hehe, maybe I should make one now! I think I will...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.