Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

3pk w/spektrum or FASST?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:13 AM
channah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3pk w/spektrum or FASST?

I have decided with our lovely economic stimulant to get a Futaba 3pk. I love the feel of it in my hand. My question is this.... I curretly have 2 Spektrum receivers, so I am debating whether to go with the Futaba system completely (meaning my Rx can't be used), or getting only the radio (no futaba module around 229.00) and the spektrum Module (like 100). Obviously the cheaper route would be the Spektrum since I can still use my receivers. Are there any downsides to either? Thanks for any help!
Old 04-28-2008, 03:39 PM
systemlord

Default RE: 3pk w/spektrum or FASST?

I don't know much about Spektrum brand radio systems, but I love the grip and feel of my new 3PKS 2.4GHz FASST system! Are the 2 Spektrum receivers 2.4GHz? Not that you must have a 2.4GHz system to run your truck, I'm sure there will be crystal users years from now that still see no reason to switch over to 2.4GHz.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:37 PM
slawhammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok Guys..spectrum locks on too a signal..The furtuba uses spectrum technogly but serches in micro seconds always looking for a signal...
Very good buy for the furtuba 2.4 ghz at www.amainhobbies.com less than $200.00 Think like $189.00
I my self use a specrtum DSM 3 channel and have never had any problems...Have been 400 Yards away no electrical inteference of
any kind or glitchs or twiching of servos....Just my 2 cents worth..
Old 04-28-2008, 06:43 PM
systemlord

If you want to save some money and buy better quality servos with your radio, I suggest getting the 3PM 2.4GHz FASST system. I would go for the 3PKS myself.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:53 PM
nomobux
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: slawhammer

Ok Guys..spectrum locks on too a signal..The furtuba uses spectrum technogly but serches in micro seconds always looking for a signal...
Very good buy for the furtuba 2.4 ghz at www.amainhobbies.com less than $200.00 Think like $189.00
I my self use a specrtum DSM 3 channel and have never had any problems...Have been 400 Yards away no electrical inteference of
400 yards is almost a 1/4 mile ... I don't think so unless you have one hell of a pair of binocs.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:54 PM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: nomobux

400 yards is almost a 1/4 mile ... I don't think so unless you have one hell of a pair of binocs.
[sm=lol.gif]
Old 04-28-2008, 06:55 PM
SManMTB

He was asking if he should go with the Futaba FAAST system or Spektrum, not what kind of servos to buy.

It's up to you. To save a few bucks go with Spektrum since you already have a few Rx for it. I got a FAAST myself but can't compare it to Spektrum since I never owned one. Many uses Spektrum modules and there are no issues with them.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:16 PM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

He was asking if he should go with the Futaba FAAST system or Spektrum, not what kind of servos to buy.
Thanks for the heads up, but I already knew that. He ask for my opinoin and thats what he got.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:20 PM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: systemlord

Thanks for the heads up, but I already knew that. He ask for my opinoin and thats what he got.
Too bad you gave your opinion on something he didn't ask. LOL
)
Old 04-28-2008, 10:15 PM
RevToTheRedline

The only plus I can think of going with FASST is better failsafe integration in to the 3PK(S) and better failsafe all together imo, if you want better value go Spek, if you want better integration go Futaba.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:12 PM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: systemlord

Too bad you gave your opinion on something he didn't ask. LOL
)
Just drop it would yea? Leave it aloan, I don't come here to argue!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:18 PM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: RevToTheRedline

The only plus I can think of going with FASST is better failsafe integration in to the 3PK(S) and better failsafe all together imo, if you want better value go Spek, if you want better integration go Futaba.
If he wants to use the failsafe feature and have it stored permanently he will have to use the HRS mode. If you decide you want to use the spread spectrum technology, you have to use all digital servos or you'll fry your analog servos.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:01 AM
slawhammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whooooo sorry about that..I asked my son he said 400 Feet not yards..I miss understood him..I thought that was far too away..
The truck was out there just hardly see it..Thanks for bringing that to my attention...
Old 04-29-2008, 06:48 PM
SManMTB

The failsafe with FAAST only works in HRS or PCM mode which means you need to use digital servos.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:22 PM
systemlord

The failsafe with FAAST only works in HRS or PCM mode which means you need to use digital servos.
One quick question, I have tried to use the PCM mode on my R603FS receiver and nothing worked. I'm thinking that the R603FS receiver is no a PCM receiver, would I be correct about that?
Thanks Systemlord
Old 04-29-2008, 09:32 PM
SManMTB

Yeah I think so. I could be wrong but FAAST is PPM (for analog and digital servos) and HRS (for digital servos) only but don't quote me on that yet. The manual said something like that.
Basically, to use the failsafe you need digital servos.

I got analog servos and can't use the failsafe.

[]
Old 04-30-2008, 09:07 AM
RevToTheRedline

Oh that's true about the analog servos, It's been so long since I've used them I forgot they existed :x
Old 04-30-2008, 09:12 AM
ezveedub

FASST is Futaba's 2.4 Ghz system. HRS is their "high response system" mode which is made for digital servos only and was available way back when first released with FM modules. If you run any analog servos on the receiver, then you must use PPM mode, as HRS will burn out the servo. PCM mode is an FM system mode. It appears you need to just switch to PPM mode for your selected model if you have a analog servo installed and the R603FS will auto select the same settings from the Tx settings.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:50 AM
channah
My Feedback: (5)

So now I need to get new Servos? I just purchased the 3PK with FASST 2.4 Ghz, but am running analouge servos
Old 04-30-2008, 11:57 AM
RevToTheRedline

You don't NEED to, but you will get failsafe functionality with digital servos, don't go running out and buying digital servos yet though.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:15 PM
SManMTB

You don't NEED to, but you will get failsafe functionality with digital servos, don't go running out and buying digital servos yet though.

What he said. I use analog servos with mine.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:21 AM
ftt4maniac

From personal experience, i would buy futaba. I spent 250 dollars on the spectrum 3.0 a while back and i couldnt go 75 feet with it. I have also seen many other people having same problem. My best friend bought one same time i did and has no problems with it. I have sent my radio and recievers to horizon hobbies 2 times now and they havent fixed it yet. I am getting really irritated with them and am buying a futaba from tower today. I will send my 3.0 back one more time, if it dont work this time, iwill give my 2 recievers to my friend and run the controller over with the lawnmower. Also horizon hobbies will lose my business unless its an emergency.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:14 AM
dacaur

Regardless of the system, you will have faster response with an integrated system than you will with a module system... if you dont run digital servos that it wont matter... but then there is the fail safe thing already mentioned..... and then there is the aesthetics of having a gerular antenna along with a 2.4Ghz antenna... looks crappy if you ask me.... sell your spectrum Rx's and get some futaba Rx's, problem solved
Old 05-18-2008, 09:30 AM
SAVAGEJIM

402.25 meters is very close to a quarter mile, 400yrds is closer to 390meters, (Sorry, I could not help myself! )

In either case, 400 yards, 390 meters, or whatever, trying to control an RC at that distance is like trying to remote control a mosquito to fly through a needle eye (I have runmy RCs to up to 250 meters and they are indeed very hard to see at that distance).
Old 05-18-2008, 09:36 AM
SAVAGEJIM

I say get teh Futaba 2.4 GHz module, the FASST module has sveral key benefits over the Spektum (most of which have already been said above but I agree with 100%):

1) The Futaba module is made specifically fo Futaba radios, that means that Futaba had the chance to do extensive tesing and regressive testing to hammer out any new arising bugs.
2) The Futaba module is a frequncy hopping spread spectrum radio, so if a specific channel is suffering interference, the Futaba module will ditch it like a rat from a sinking ship (except the Futaba module it is not in the same quandry as the rat, the rat will of course have to jump into the ocean to get off the ship!)
3) I have used both the Spectrum modules and the FAAST modules for my 3PK radios. The Spektrum does not have ner the control distance of the FAAST. Also, the Spektrum causes the servos to chatter and hum, even after properly adjusting teh EPA, linkages, etc. (This is not good on th batts).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.