Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

Installing RC in an old Tandy Buggy - help needed!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Installing RC in an old Tandy Buggy - help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 04:15 AM
suomidude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing RC in an old Tandy Buggy - help needed!

Hi Guys

I have recently purchased a used, old Tandy Buggy EP 1:10 called Fox 7, which I believe was rather a toy then a serious model. I am new to RC cars (albeit I've been driving nitro Kyosho PureTen) and I want to install a proper RC system into it.

As a first thing, I've purchased transmitter MEGATECH AM T-2PHKA Robbe Futaba 1-F2223 40MHz and now I need to buy receiver, regulator and servo. However, I have no clue what to buy for such a car and what are technical specs for such equipent:

- Which servo - what torque, speed etc ? I have got an offer for the Hitec Ht-422 servos, are they any good?
- Receiver - I know that it should be 2 channel, but : any brand would do with this radio? How will I deal with a channels (crystals)?
- Speed regulator - again, technical specifications needed for such a model

A last question: how can I figure out the voltage of the motor if there is no technical spec on it? Is there any simple technique?

I would appreciate any reccomended links to the articles, which would explain me those basics, or definitely your advice written here will be as well appreciated.

Just fyi, I live in Belgium thus the equipment which you would reccomend shold be available in continental Europe.

Thanks a lot

Milan
Old 06-14-2008, 02:03 AM
dacaur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Installing RC in an old Tandy Buggy - help needed!

The car was likely originally 7.2 volts so i would go with that. Any 1/10 scale ESC (speed regulator) will easily handle it, look for something that will do around 100+ amps to be on the safe side. You probably should replace the motor anyhow if the buggy has seen some use.... a 27 turn closed can motor is probably all the drivetrain will handle...

The hs 422 servo will do, but its definitely not a powerhosue... its about what you would expect in a RTR truck... Buts its a good bet is miles better than the "servo" the car originally had. I like my servos to have 80+oz-inches of torque and less than .20 transit speed, higher torque and faster speed is always better...

for the reciver, a 2 channel futaba or hitec RX should work, make sure its 40 Mhz, and get it on whatever channel the TX is on.