Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

Spektrum DX3R vs. Futaba 3PM "STEERING SPEED"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Spektrum DX3R vs. Futaba 3PM "STEERING SPEED"

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Gyroguru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum DX3R vs. Futaba 3PM "STEERING SPEED"

I am going to purchase my first 2.4MHz radio. The Futaba has "speed control" feature which adds a timer delays when turning which was explained by the rep at Hobbytown USA. He said only the Futaba has this feature.

Futaba has been around for a long time and I am sure they make a good radio. The Spektrum DX3M "feels" so good my hand. No other radio feels this natural in my hand. Because it uses only 4 cells, it very light and does not feel cumbersome and the screen is awesome but it is $320 vs. $200 for Futaba 3PM.

My question is does the Spektrum DX3M has this steering “speed control†and is it necessary?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49156.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	1012571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17861.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1012572  
Old 08-16-2008, 12:35 PM
dkastil

Default RE: Spektrum DX3R vs. Futaba 3PM "STEERING SPEED"

get a lipo pack for the futaba and it will lighten up and run for like 10 hours the futaba has the dual antena s in the recever so no blind spots and the futaba is 120 less i have a 3pk with
the fasst module and rever it is the best transmitter and recever i have ever used the 3pm is like its little brother i am shure it is great with the 120 you save you can get some futaba digi highspeed/tork metal gear servos for 80 to 100 a servo
Old 08-16-2008, 05:05 PM
systemlord

Don't get a Spektrum, I have been into RC for over 20 years and Futaba has always been at the top of technology. JR and Airtronics are also very good, but Spektrum uses lower technology in their radios which is why they cost less than most. The 3PM is an awesome bargan for only $189.99, its whats on the inside that counts!
Old 08-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Gyroguru

systemlord,

Can you please tell me more about Spektrum? You said that they uses lower technology in their radios.

Are there people having a lot of failures out in the field?

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:29 PM
RevToTheRedline
My Feedback: (4)

Ummm you are comparing 2 completely different radios to one and other? 3PM is comparable to the Spek DX3.0, if you want to compare the DX3R to a Futaba then compare it to the 3PKS or 4PK, which are above and beyond anything Spektrum has.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:58 PM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: Gyroguru

systemlord,

Can you please tell me more about Spektrum? You said that they uses lower technology in their radios.

Thanks.
The kinds of failures I hear about the most in this forum is loss of contact with model, one guy had a new 2.4GHz Spektrum system that "would not" work around others at the track not that far away. Futaba's 2.4GHz tech is based off the system the US military is currently using (except for the signal boosters), Futaba had the same guy that designed the system for the US Military build their 2.4GHz system.

Spektrum's technology is behind most modern 2.4GHz radios, Futaba, JR and Airtronics are all using very high quality 2.4GHz systems. I did some research on Spektrum's technology awhile back and it does not come close to what Futaba, JR and Airtronics are all using. I will say this, "that Spektrum's customer service is excellent"! Spektrum's radios look "Very attractive", but this on its own is not enough for a company to last. I have nothing against Spektrum as a company, just the facts here.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:31 PM
dkastil

you had me till you told me jr is better then spec they are made in the same plant same co.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:46 AM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: dkastil

you had me till you told me jr is better then spec they are made in the same plant same co.
Just because they are going through the same plant has nothing to do with what tech their using, alot of different products can pass through a plant. JR's helicoptor and airplane radios are some of the best in the world along side Futaba, have you seen some of JR's top of the line radios. Spektrum doesn't even come close!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:45 AM
dkastil

i have a 3pk fasst and se that specs have probs how cant they all be bad or good when you are talking top of the line dx3m 2.4 spec vs top jr 2.4 dont you think they would use the same quality i am just strange i have to se benchmarks and stats i could se how there low end 2.4 transmitters cut corners and spec has 2 dif spred modules but you are saying the top of the line is junk i think it looks like a toy but i felt it had to be atleast close in performance to a futaba 3pm
Old 08-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Gyroguru

No disrespect to anyone.

I have been in RC since 1986 and what I find is that people are biased to one brand or the others and that is fine. I have owned JR, Futaba and Airtronics and finally switched over to Multiplex Royal EVO 9 about three years ago for my airplanes. People often make comments as to why one system is better then other with out really backing up facts from technical point of view.

Pratt & Whitney makes turbofan jet engines for F-15r, does it mean that General Electric’s GE90 which powers the 747 & 777 are not as good because they also makes light bulb? Of course not.

By the way, I am trying to compare $200-300 radio. Futaba’s 3PKS 2.4GHz is a $400 radio. The Futaba 3PM 3-Channel 2.4GHz radio feels about the same as my $50 radio which came with Hot Wheels Dune Devil RC Buggy. This does not mean that it is cheap on the inside by no means at all. On the other hand as soon as I placed the Spektrum DX3M in my hands, you realized that someone did their homework. This is why I asked if the beauty of DX3M is skin deep or not. What am getting for additional $100?

I changed over to Multiplex because it offered synthesized FM frequency (72 Mhz), polarity switching capability (+/-), capability of upgrading the firmware via my pc and tons of other features. They are working on a 2.4GHz module which should be available later this year. The EVO9 also “feels†more natural in my hands.

http://www.multiplexusa.com/multiple...oyal_evo_9.php

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:33 PM
ametek

ORIGINAL: systemlord

Just because they are going through the same plant has nothing to do with what tech their using, alot of different products can pass through a plant. JR's helicoptor and airplane radios are some of the best in the world along side Futaba, have you seen some of JR's top of the line radios. Spektrum doesn't even come close!
systemlord you dont know what your talking about JR is Spektrum. Spektrum was first out JR uses Spektrum tech.But as far as this post goes if you do not have Futaba its junk.Some of your info is very bad.Spektrum and Futaba both have good and bad points .Futaba is not the be all end all best in the world sorry.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:40 PM
SManMTB

systemlord,

Thanks.
The kinds of failures I hear about the most in this forum is loss of contact with model, one guy had a new 2.4GHz Spektrum system that "would not" work around others at the track not that far away. Futaba's 2.4GHz tech is based off the system the US military is currently using (except for the signal boosters), Futaba had the same guy that designed the system for the US Military build their 2.4GHz system.

Spektrum's technology is behind most modern 2.4GHz radios, Futaba, JR and Airtronics are all using very high quality 2.4GHz systems. I did some research on Spektrum's technology awhile back and it does not come close to what Futaba, JR and Airtronics are all using. I will say this, "that Spektrum's customer service is excellent"! Spektrum's radios look "Very attractive", but this on its own is not enough for a company to last. I have nothing against Spektrum as a company, just the facts here.

Do you actually have any indepth knowledge about the technology to back up your jibberish or is this yet another case of armchair engineering by someone who really has no knowledge about electronics?
Old 08-29-2008, 08:50 PM
mtbkym01

systemlord,

Thanks.

Could you please provide a link to these JR 2.4 systems that are different to what Spektrum uses. The only ones I can find certainly list that they utilise Spektrum technology [X(]. All I can say is that my DX3R is awesome, as are the Futaba systems.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:33 PM
systemlord

[quote]ORIGINAL: ametek

[quote]ORIGINAL: systemlord

systemlord you dont know what your talking about JR is Spektrum. Spektrum was first out JR uses Spektrum tech.But as far as this post goes if you do not have Futaba its junk.Some of your info is very bad.Spektrum and Futaba both have good and bad points .Futaba is not the be all end all best in the world sorry.
I never said if you don't have Futaba its junk, if thats what you are implying?

Some of your info is very bad.
Care to point out the bad info I gave? Can you be a little more specific than just saying, "Some of your info is very bad". Duh???...

Could you please provide a link to these JR 2.4 systems that are different to what Spektrum uses. The only ones I can find certainly list that they utilise Spektrum technology . All I can say is that my DX3R is awesome, as are the Futaba systems
What I meant was the radio's JR/Spektrum are different in user function and clearly there is a price difference. A picture is worth a thousand words, these computer radios don't even come close to one another feature wise and the price difference is HUGE!. The JR computer radio is $1599.99, while the Spektrum is LOT cheaper in many ways!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92188.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	1022042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82416.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	1022043  
Old 08-30-2008, 12:23 AM
ametek

Care to point out the bad info I gave? Can you be a little more specific than just saying, "Some of your info is very bad". Duh???...

Could you please provide a link to these JR 2.4 systems that are different to what Spektrum uses. The only ones I can find certainly list that they utilise Spektrum technology . All I can say is that my DX3R is awesome, as are the Futaba systems
What I meant was the radio's JR/Spektrum are different in user function and clearly there is a price difference. A picture is worth a thousand words, these computer radios don't even come close to one another feature wise and the price difference is HUGE!. The JR computer radio is $1599.99, while the Spektrum is LOT cheaper in many ways!

JR 9303 9channel is around 599.00
Old 08-30-2008, 12:31 AM
Druss

Just to throw my 2 bits in here....

Spektrum's technology is owned by JR, developed first by spektrum then bought by JR. JR uses the same technology and does not allow spektrum to build radios over 7ch (for their airplane/heli models). There is no difference in the technology, JR radios can use spektrum receivers and vice versa.

As a note on the lost of signal issues, the old spectrum receivers had an issue with low voltage, if the voltage dropped below 4.5v then the receiver would reboot, it would take 2 seconds to reconnect. If you were using a good voltage regulator or bec then you shouldn't have had this issue, if you were using the linear bec used in most escs then it was possible. I run everything on 6V through a voltage regulator and never had this problem. There is also new firmware which reconnects the receiver to the transmitter instantly now available. I sent in all my old receivers for this upgrade (heli receivers).

Interestingly enough, I used to own a DX7 and now own a 12X, this has nothing to do with technology and all to do with features. I don't even really need 12 channels for my helis, I just wanted more mixing options.

I owned mostly Futaba in the past (both air and car) but went with Spektrum/JR when they came out and have never regretted it.

As to comparing the DX7 with the 12X... why would you? just because they're made by different companies doesn't mean the tech is better in one than the other... compare the futaba 7C to their 14mz and see what you get.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:35 AM
ametek

The Futaba 10c 10channel is around 599.00 and also a fine radio . Sorry for going off the topic Ed
Old 08-30-2008, 12:42 AM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: ametek

JR 9303 9channel is around 599.00
$599.99 is nowhere near $1599.99, anyone still think these two computer radios are the same? They use the same technology, but thats where these two radio's part ways! This is why I say that the JR is no Spektrum, the features this thing has is massive when compared to the 7ch Spektrum.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Pathous
My Feedback: (12)

You guys are comparing very different radios. JR doesn't have a 7ch 2.4 and Spektrum doesn't have a 12ch radio. JR and Spektrum are different companies that share technology and hardware. The DX7 is a JR 7202 radio with the same programing with Spektrum RF. The JR 9303 and 12X are JR radios with Spektrum RF. Now Back on Topic Both Radios are great and you will not go wrong with either. I love my DX3R and have not had any proplem. I did notice that my steering was more sensitive when I switched but that was nothing that EXPO didn't Fix. Also my spectrum doesn't drain batteries quickly I can get around 10 hours before I need to recharge.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:32 PM
hkenvy91

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

systemlord,

Thanks.

Do you actually have any indepth knowledge about the technology to back up your jibberish or is this yet another case of armchair engineering by someone who really has no knowledge about electronics?
ahhhhh yes....... its an attack of armchair engineers!thats my only gripe about online forums! these so called engineers ruin products b4 they even come out without any knowledge whatsoever of the product!
Old 09-04-2008, 10:20 PM
ametek

ORIGINAL: Pathous

You guys are comparing very different radios. JR doesn't have a 7ch 2.4 and Spektrum doesn't have a 12ch radio. JR and Spektrum are different companies that share technology and hardware. The DX7 is a JR 7202 radio with the same programing with Spektrum RF. The JR 9303 and 12X are JR radios with Spektrum RF. Now Back on Topic Both Radios are great and you will not go wrong with either. I love my DX3R and have not had any proplem. I did notice that my steering was more sensitive when I switched but that was nothing that EXPO didn't Fix. Also my spectrum doesn't drain batteries quickly I can get around 10 hours before I need to recharge.
+1
Old 10-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Chris_RC

I dont know why everyone is saying Spectrum is cheap. The DX3R is very popular amoing racers and the Futaba FAAST systems arent as popular.

EDIT: And tell me the difference between the Spectrum z590M and the JR z590M servo. A different name is all!
Old 10-03-2008, 07:48 AM
qaiz

I dont know what everyones going on about over here, but Systemlord, no offense, all you do is stir things up. Ive noticed ALL your posts about Spektrum radios. Just because you ' feel ' they're not good, dosent mean they're not good.

I use the Dx3R, and love it, response speed is amazing, it is the easiest radio to program and use, and batteries last for an EXTREMELY long time. Its a winner in my books, and nothing anyone says can change that.

Now with the issue of Spektrum being owner by JR or vice versa, its not true. They are two totally differient companies, JR which stands for Japan Radio is not by any way owned by Spektrum. They do share technology inbetween them, my Dx3R has DSM 2 technology, and so does my JR DSX9 ( X9303 ).

It even says it on my Air radio ; " 2.4GHz Spread Spektrum Technology by SpeKtrum " . And says DSM2 on the screen when switched on.

As for servos, Spektrum just rebadges JR servos, but only a few, they dont do the high end stuff ( 8511's, 8711's etcc ) as far as I know...