Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

What is a good radio?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 03:34 PM
!Racerx!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a good radio?

What is a good radio? Money no object.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Druss

Default RE: What is a good radio?

Money no object then I'd say the best radio available right now would be the Futaba 4PK 2.4ghz but you're talking $580. For very good radios look at the Spektrum DX3R or Futaba 3PK which are $370 and $290 respectively.

For slightly cheaper radios look at the DX3S and Futaba 3PM which are $290 and $210 respectively.

There are also the Airtronics and KO Propo but not as popular although very good radios.

All prices are in CANADIAN dollars from www.greathobbies.com
Old 08-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Steve.

Money no object, 4PK. Great radio that won't break the bank, 3PKS. I have 2 3PKS, one with a 75mHz FM synth module and one with the 2.4g module. I love the 3PKS and wouldn't trade them for any radio made to date. I have always placed a high value on the radio as it is the conduit between you and your model. The best car in the world sucks with a turd for a radio, however a mediocre car's perfomance is elevated by adding the features and performance found in a radio like the 3PKS. If you want the best buy a Futaba.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: Steve.

Money no object, 4PK. Great radio that won't break the bank, 3PKS. I have 2 3PKS, one with a 75mHz FM synth module and one with the 2.4g module. I love the 3PKS and wouldn't trade them for any radio made to date. I have always placed a high value on the radio as it is the conduit between you and your model. The best car in the world sucks with a turd for a radio, however a mediocre car's perfomance is elevated by adding the features and performance found in a radio like the 3PKS. If you want the best buy a Futaba.

You started out sounding intelligent and non biased until that last sentence. Just make your recommendations and leave the fanboy stuff at home....
Old 08-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Steve.

Guys like you are why many Americans think Canadians are rude and arrogant. Why would you recommend radios that have notoriously high failure rates ? He wants the best and Futabas are the best radios. I've owned six of Futaba's top radios over the past 20 years and have never had a failure, how many Spektrum owners can say that.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Chris_RC

Guys like you are why many Americans think Canadians are rude and arrogant. Why would you recommend radios that have notoriously high failure rates ? He wants the best and Futabas are the best radios. I've owned six of Futaba's top radios over the past 20 years and have never had a failure, how many Spektrum owners can say that.
I have had JR/Spektrum radios for 7 years and NO problems at all. I dont know what kind of failure's you are talking about, since I have never had one or heard of anyone else have problems.

At least Spektrum thinks about the customer. If a newbie were to get a 2PL 2.4ghz, and say he has 4 cars, he would buy 3 rx's. Then say a year later he goes to the track and finds out he is lacking in features so he goes to buy the 3PM or 3PK. Well, he will have to change all of his receiver's, when with Spektrum, their budget DX2.0 will work with their race DX3R and DX3S radios.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Druss

LOL, I find it funny that you say Americans find Canadians rude and arrogant when the entire world thinks that way about Americans. Do you realize how many Americans actually have Canadian flags on their backpacks in Europe??

I've owned many DIFFERENT radios in the past, including both Spektrum and Futaba. I've been through 4 spektrum based radios in the last 3 years and have had NO problems. How many have you owned?

My point is that I've actually never had ANY radio problems in the past but you're the standard definition of a fanboy, mouthing off about something you have obviously never tried yourself.

Anyway, I hate getting into arguments with guys like you, you're always right....[:'(] and I'm the arrogant one right?
Old 08-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Steve.

What is your problem ? You were a dick to me, loser.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Mick.C.

I have been useing a Nomadio for the past 3 years no problems but unable to get rx's for it down here in Aus, so I have just bought a 4PK. 4 of use same buggies all different radio's flat field. the Nomadio and the 4PK had no range problems the the older and the newer DX3 both could not get the range that the other two were able to get.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Airbus 9e

I wouldn't sweat it....he does that to anyone that says anything even remotely positive about a Futaba radio...

I got called a fanboy when all I did was relate events of Spektrum failures I'd seen at my local dirt oval....
Old 09-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: Airbus 9e

I wouldn't sweat it....he does that to anyone that says anything even remotely positive about a Futaba radio...

I got called a fanboy when all I did was relate events of Spektrum failures I'd seen at my local dirt oval....
Find me a quote anywhere where I say anything negative about a Futaba radio...
Old 09-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Mick.C.

sounds like some people have nothing better to do than put others down, maybe they should get themselfs a hobby. in regards to radio's you are the only one that can decide what is best for you. my previous post is through past experences, that was over about 500mtrs without a raise pilots stand.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:30 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay guys and gals, keep your thoughts on the subject matter and quit flaming each other or the thread will be removed. Thanks Dave
Old 11-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Ace2Be

2nd that [sm=thumbs_up.gif]