Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

SPEKTRUM DX3S

Old 09-15-2009, 10:43 PM
basketballfan60123
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPEKTRUM DX3S

I have the SPEKTRUM DX3S and was wondering how many people have had issues with the telemetry set-up on a rc car and how reliable it is ?
Has anybody had issues with getting it to function properly ?
Old 09-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Chris_RC

Default RE: SPEKTRUM DX3S

Temp works fine, never tried the rpm and never will.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:56 AM
BigTb17

For the most part it works great. The only problem I've has is one of my temp sensors went bad. It totally stopped reading one day. The other temp sensor still works fine, there is nothing wrong with the radio or the telemetry connection, it's just the sensor.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:42 PM
basketballfan60123

How about the RPM sensor.
My LHS is having a !@#$ of a hard time trying to get it to work on my Savage and have already replaced the RPM sensor twice.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: basketballfan60123

My LHS is having a !@#$ of a hard time trying to get it to work on my Savage and have already replaced the RPM sensor twice.
Remember, it is telemetry so everything wont work 100% as Spektrum is the first mfg to incoorperate this. That being said, what does the RPM sensor do? Who cares about your top speed anyway?
Old 09-16-2009, 09:30 PM
etivac13

it also has a limited range..... 100 to 200ft...
Old 10-04-2009, 09:06 PM
mowery1

Just intalled my Spektrum Dx3S telemetry tonight and there has to be a better way to get those rpm decals to stick to the flywheel....Wondering if a guy could use chrome paint to make a dot on the back of the flywheel...I'm using associated flywheels which are dark in color......Saw a thred on another site where a guy had a shiny flywheel and used black nailpolish to make his dot on the flywheel...makes sense...Those decals would never stay on after a few runs....Any tips on this would be helpful..Thanks...
Old 10-04-2009, 09:47 PM
basketballfan60123

The manual says you are supposed apply superglue around the edges (not on top of the sticker) of the sticker to secure it to the flywheel but even then it will still fall off; at least that is what my LHS has told me.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:21 PM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: basketballfan60123

Who cares about your top speed anyway?
I Do! I don't have to second guess how fast I'm going when I run against an aftershock and a Tmaxx. There's no lying about how fast I'm going. As long as I adjust the Roll-out setting properly, I'm good to go. I bought the Losi XXL and got the DX3S and I've had no problems at all with any of the telemetry features. As far as distance I've had mine work up to 600 FT. I just had it out today and had MPH readings everytime I looked at the screen. And I was running the distance of a city block. From standing at one end I had MPH reading all the way to the other end and back. Perhaps it was because my batteries were fully charged.
I also run my Hyperdrive PRO2 on an indoor track without telemetry and it runs awesome. Don't need the telemetry on my pan car. Good luck to ya'all
Old 11-26-2009, 01:36 AM
lomdel

Anyone calculated the correct Roll-out for the Losi 8ight T 2.0 truggy to adjust the value on the DX3S? Default is set at 4,1", but is this true?...
Old 12-02-2009, 05:12 AM
etivac13

what's the length of your rx antennas? i just got my dx3s last sunday and was comparing it with the futaba r603fs (now sold).. and its shorter..by about 2 or 3 inches...
Old 12-02-2009, 01:23 PM
conradj87
My Feedback: (1)

I've had problems with the RPM sensor as well, but everything else works fine. The range seems a little iffy, sometimes I can read it the whole time, most of the time it flickers on me. My temp reading on the controller is about 20 degrees over what a handheld temp gun says when the truck is hot, when at room temp they read the same. I trust the temp gun more, anybody else noticed this?.

I think my antenna was only a few inches long 3 or 4 maybe?
I'm gonna try the black nail polish trick.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:27 PM
bigblock454XXL

I never monitored temps until I got the DX3S. I had 3 Tmaxx's Broke in two engines and never checked temps. So as far as comparing, I have nothing to compare it to. 20 Degree difference is pretty close to me.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:21 AM
dacaur

I would personally NOT try to put the sticker on the flywheel. That's the fastest moving part of the whole system!! It would be MUCH better to put it on a driveshaft between the transmission and diffs. Its moving so much slower, that getting it to stay on will be like child's play compared to the flywheel. Plus, on a 2 speed setup, thats the ONLY way to get reliable speed readings at both low and high speeds.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:03 PM
bigblock454XXL

If your looking for RPM's, putting it on the driveshaft won't work. When you stop, the driveshafts stop and that's not going to give you RPM. You need to find a way to adhere it to the flywheel. Clean it with alcohol. There is a way to make it work, just gotta find the right person to do it. Or the right method.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:58 PM
dacaur

Thats true by why would you care about RPM's? MPH is what matters