Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

New Spektrum rx/module will increase range?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

New Spektrum rx/module will increase range?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 03:45 PM
zanga254
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Spektrum rx/module will increase range?

Hey guys. I have a Losi 2.4ghz radio(remember that it only uses 4 AA batteries which is terrible for range) that came with my Desert Truck and the reciever antenna got ripped off, reducing the range dramatically. I will need to get a new reciever eventually, but i have a few questions. Is there a difference between recievers in terms of range within Spektrum's radio line?

If i just got a basic reciever, like this
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPMSR300

Would the range be different than say my other choice
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM1205

And what exactly do modules do?

About how much better is the range of this
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM1011
vs just the pro reciever.

Sorry about all the range questions but i really do not want to ever lose control of my car and truck.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:47 PM
1320Fastback

Default RE: New Spektrum rx/module will increase range?

Most 2.4 TX only need 4 batteries, they operate at 3.3V and use CDMA which provides processing gain, effectively increasing distance but using less power. Some TX that use 8 batteries use a voltage regulator to reduce the power by basically turning it into heat. They use more batteries to up the capacity so they last longer between changes.

Suggest getting a receiver with a antenna!
Old 03-15-2010, 05:35 PM
zanga254

The new receivers have antennas though....don't they?

The main question from me is if the basic spektrum rx has a lower range than a better reciever like their pro series and whether or not a module will help with distance.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:19 PM
1320Fastback

The SR3001 just processes a little faster, is it enought to justify the cost difference? Thats up to you, if you race it probably is.

The modules are for older TX's
Old 03-15-2010, 10:47 PM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned both the DX2.0 and the DX3S, currently the DX3S. I've "Heard" that guys have range issues. But I never have. I've used the SR300, SR3300 and the SM3001 Micro. I've never had a range issue. The farthest I've had my truck was 1,000 FT. The Losi XXL with the Telemetry receiver. I just bought 2 more $49 Spektrum Receivers and I've never had a problem. Their technology is Good. You shouldn't have any problems.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:11 PM
1320Fastback

We run into issues in planes with carbon fiber shielding the signals sometimes. Is your chassis/braces CF?
Old 03-16-2010, 03:50 PM
zanga254

I just got the desert truck used but the antenna was missing on the receiver. I will be using this mostly for bashing. I will probably interchange the receiver between my sprint 2 and my desert truck, both with brushless but far away from the esc and motor.

The only CF that i have is my spur gear on the Sprint.

Thanks for telling me about the modules 1320Fastback!
Old 03-16-2010, 05:47 PM
1320Fastback

You could try sending it back to Spektrum for repair, they might even give ya a discount or freebie.

I know one the Futaba RX's the antennas are easily replaceable, they basically just clip to the circuit board. Dont know about Spektrum though.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:58 PM
zanga254

That sounds good but i don't know if they would replace it for free because i had to cut a 1mm hole for the steering plug and they might say that that voids the warranty etc. I will email them though, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Mr Terminator

I have a Sanwa/Airtronics M8 and the SM1000 Spekkie module,was using SR300 RX's but the range is poor to say the least,i've just spent £86GBP on a new SM1001 Pro series module with SR3001 Pro series RX and its no different,not sure why it is like this but the range is just over 100m or so and worse when installed in the Baja SS.

I never had any issues with range with the 2 DX3S sets i've had and the DX3.0 I had but this combo is terrible,can only assume its a fault on the TX itself but the voltage getting to the module is more than adequate,basically the module is just the TX finals part of the DSM Spektrum radios,all RF power is delivered from that so can't understand why its so poor,the new pro system has got RF link boosting aswell so i'm officially stumped and considering going for another DX3S or the 40Mhz FM module for the M8,its a shame as I really like the TX's feel and functionality...[]