Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Videos Place your links to rc car videos in this dedicated forum. Please include clip title and short description plus filesize and format (wmv, rm, mpg, mov)

Jeeps in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 04:27 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Jeeps in the snow

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfyjq9VyRf8[/youtube]
Old 12-23-2011, 05:22 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Jeeps in the snow

Cool little trucks, but I didn't see any hooning. I'da had 25-30T pinions in there and been powersliding them like a madman in the snow.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:47 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: 378

Cool little trucks, but I didn't see any hooning. I'da had 25-30T pinions in there and been powersliding them like a madman in the snow.
whats "hooning"?
I do need bigger tires for my jeep. even with the duelly rear, i didnt have half the traction my buddy did with his imex swamp dawg tires. tho, now he has to mod the body so he can get rid of all that tire rubbing body noise.

I have some 6 inch+ tall spiked tires i may run on mine for the winter.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:58 PM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

whats ''hooning''?
Driving around in the snow like an idiot merely because you can. Powerslides, donuts, nailing the throttle and watching it go wherever it damn well pleases while throwing snow everywhere, that sort of thing. Not something I'd advise doing with a 1:1 unless you're on a closed course, but our RCs are far more suited to doing so without causing damage to anything or anyone.

I do need bigger tires for my jeep. even with the dually rear, i didnt have half the traction my buddy did with his imex swamp dawg tires. tho, now he has to mod the body so he can get rid of all that tire rubbing body noise.
No. Bigger tires won't help, just digs bigger holes and puts more strain on the gearbox...I know what will though.

This is RC. The worst penalty for getting stuck is you have to walk out, pick it up and set it down a couple feet away. No need to be all ginger on the power like you would in a 1:1, get heavy with the trigger finger! Channel your inner Jezza! That's how I drive my RCs in the snow. My rule of thumb for snow running: If I can see any part of the car except the engine I have been too judicious with the power.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:06 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

LOL, to funny!

i love any top gear reference.

whenever myself or my buddy fixes a RC out on the trails, we always say "I mended something!"

and "more power" is often heard from us.

But in snow wider tires make a difference. the larger the footprint keeps the tires from digging down into the snow as easy.

those imex swamp dawgs work pretty well. but the tires i have in mind are taller and wider. they will look funny, but keep from getting stuck.

BTW, we really were scared of out trucks falling into the pond. The spot where the red jeep drops its tire in the ice, that really was a hole in the ice...one big enough for the truck to fall into.

After spending an hour in the snow watching my buddy's red jeep out perform mine, i was happy to win the tug o war. then he got the idea to go side/side and that broke the traction of my duellies!
Old 12-23-2011, 06:10 PM

Wider, sure. I thought you meant bigger as in larger diameter though. There's still a limit until you get rubbing issues, though.

Also, just waterproof your electronics. I've seen people run their crawlers 100% submerged without issue. Far enough below the surface where the antenna poking through was the only indication it hadn't swept downstream yet. Someone in the crawler forum can help you out with that, my waterproofing is limited to just keeping the throttle servo alive when it's packed with snow.

And yeah, TG references are for the win. I always keep Jezza's famous two phrases in my mind when running my RCs. POWWWEERRR, and How Hard can it be?!
Old 12-23-2011, 06:27 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

OH, my truck is waterproof.

but that pond was a good 6 feet deep right at the edge. its a man-made pond, some water district thing.

If our trucks had fallen threw, it would not have been fun trying to retreve them.

I have also been known to taunt my buddy by calling him a "pilluck"

I gave the amarican top gear a chance. but it turns out that the funny terms those guys on BBC use is part of what makes it so great to watch.

The budget that show has must be insane!

I have wanted to make some "top gear" style RC videos. but i need way better cameras(note more than one) and some models that i dont mind if they get destroyed.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:52 AM
rc2008
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how did you make the duellies?

Old 01-01-2012, 03:57 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: rc2008

how did you make the duellies?

I used standard 2.2 rims...each with 2 scx tires stretched over them and glued on the ouside beads.

I actually have them for sale right now on ebay.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:16 PM
rc2008

what do you have them listed as on ebay.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:03 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

what do you have them listed as on ebay.

not supposed to post ebay links...but if you want them im asking $17 shipped.
the rims could use paint, and i glued the wheel hex's to the rims(so they would be stronger and not strip)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58546.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1708281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85974.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1708282  
Old 01-01-2012, 05:49 PM
rc2008

i dont have any use for 2.2's my crawler has 1.9's on it. i just wanted to see the pics of yours to help give me an idea of how they would really look.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:10 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

i dont have any use for 2.2's my crawler has 1.9's on it. i just wanted to see the pics of yours to help give me an idea of how they would really look.
well the rims are 2.2, but its axial 1.9 tires stretched over them. the total diameter is the same as stock 1.9 tires.