Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Classic Cars & Trucks
Reload this Page >

(Chasing a ghost RC) - Nikko Toyota Landcruiser

Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

(Chasing a ghost RC) - Nikko Toyota Landcruiser

Old 01-27-2011, 02:36 PM
MdniteToker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Chasing a ghost RC) - Nikko Toyota Landcruiser

Hey..

Recently i have been amazed by the simple fact that you can find the strangest andmost forgottenthings on theweb.
Just last week I found an old lost friend, that I've been searching for since ever..! The Shinsei Mountain Man.. My very first "real" RC car.. A side from the lowgrade Toy-shop standards..
Now.. finding one for sale is another thing. But still, I had almost given up looking. I should add that I had no idea what it was called until last week..

This time,the search is foranother oldie that my dad let us play around with in the early 80's.
I only have my memory to go by on this one, and my dads.. I actually had him over today for pancakes with my son and me And we started adding up some descriptions and possible matches.

Now, I distinctly remember some of the features.
A mix between a Marui Golden eagle Jeep, and the Tamiya Sand Rover.

It had the same tire setuplike thepicture in the middle.
My dad was kinda clear on the fact that it was a Toyota, and aopen jeep.. Something like an oldLandcruiser. Which makes sense with the Marui, exept it was longer. And no Wheelie machine.

Now here is something we both could remember clearly...On the bed in the back, ithad a2- possibly 3 speed shifter stick. In the shape of a T.. going left-right.. well you get it..
The colour was a dark Olive green, and it may have had some (today)retro 70'scoloured stickers.. (but we couldn't agree on that one)

Can anyone remember something fitting to the description?

I'll post some more, when my memories clears a bit..+ i gottaget up early.. lol

Old 01-27-2011, 05:40 PM
gulfstreamI

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: (Chasing a ghost RC) - Nikko Toyota Landcruiser

ORIGINAL: MdniteToker

Hey..

Recently i have been amazed by the simple fact that you can find the strangest and most forgotten things on the web.
Just last week I found an old lost friend, that I've been searching for since ever..! The Shinsei Mountain Man.. My very first ''real'' RC car.. A side from the lowgrade Toy-shop standards..
Now.. finding one for sale is another thing. But still, I had almost given up looking. I should add that I had no idea what it was called until last week..

This time, the search is for another oldie that my dad let us play around with in the early 80's.
I only have my memory to go by on this one, and my dads.. I actually had him over today for pancakes with my son and me And we started adding up some descriptions and possible matches.

Now, I distinctly remember some of the features.
A mix between a Marui Golden eagle Jeep, and the Tamiya Sand Rover.

[img][/img] [img][/img] [img][/img]

It had the same tire setup like the picture in the middle.
My dad was kinda clear on the fact that it was a Toyota, and a open jeep.. Something like an old Landcruiser. Which makes sense with the Marui, exept it was longer. And no Wheelie machine.

Now here is something we both could remember clearly... On the bed in the back, it had a 2- possibly 3 speed shifter stick. In the shape of a T.. going left-right.. well you get it..
The colour was a dark Olive green, and it may have had some (today)retro 70's coloured stickers.. (but we couldn't agree on that one)

Can anyone remember something fitting to the description?

I'll post some more, when my memories clears a bit.. + i gotta get up early.. lol
I'm not sure this is the vehicle that you're referring to in your description but here's what I have stashed away in my 1980's toy memorabilia. This vintgae toy grade r.c was called the Nikko ALBAR . It's 1:10 scale and has a six speed transmission. The 'T' handle for the transmission at the back gives you the option to choose from Low, Mid and High. There is also a switch at the bottom of the chassis marked "1" and 2" for the gear speed ratio.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57324.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1554324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38828.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1554325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94552.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1554326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31187.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1554327  
Old 01-27-2011, 05:59 PM
gulfstreamI

Here's a more "high end" version of that buggy. The Nikko Sand Eagle. I also have this buggy in my collection of 80's memorabilia. This "toy grade" buggy also has a six speed transmission.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYxwlW5XDCA[/youtube]
Old 01-28-2011, 07:14 AM
MdniteToker

UNFRIKKIN BELIEVEABLE! I now believe in miracles
That's them!
Well 2/3 i should say... But in a second it all came back to me! I remember now, there were three of them..
The red buggy "ALBAR" and the Top of the line - Sand Eagle with the wings. A kid in my street had that one. I was sooo jealous!

All this time trying to figure out the perfect searchphrase on Google, and it's NIKKO!!! lmao...

Still, the one i was looking for didn't appear until I put the word Nikko in front...! And, Voila.. Presto..! Eat my shorts!!
THEREITWAS... I sat still grinning for like two minutes in shear joy...

(Here I'll try uploading a pic.) Nikko Landcruiser

Not only did I find it... It's going in the mail on monday.. And you can try guessing the adress!!! It's MINE

Thank you "gulfstreamI" for refreshing my memory...

You see, this is why I love this Hobby.. After almost 25 years since it was last seen, it's gonna be treasured once more. And now with a new grown love and respect!
I will certainly keep you guys posted. right now i'm just lost for words..

have a nice weekend...

(Oh, and one more thing.. Notice the description i gave with the colour, retro stripes & everything. Last time i saw it I must have been like 4 years old)

Name:	Ay74690.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	1554517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88505.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1554518  
Old 01-31-2011, 01:09 AM
martsrc

That's a nice looking jeep. Now I need to find me one
Old 02-01-2011, 08:59 AM
TIGER76

That green jeep was released in the UK under the TANDY brand (ie an electrical 80s store) if that helps out m8 i found one last year at a carboot boxed with little mini traffic cones packed as well lol

Name:	om33754.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	1556815  
Old 02-03-2011, 02:22 AM
MdniteToker

Turns out there are a few different models of this one.. You have the ones mentioned above here, and the the smaller versions like the Tandy model.
also there was a CJ jeep model i think. Though it did not have the shifter stick on it.

Just a few days now, and i can pick it up at the post office...

The Olive Green Nikko Toyota Landcruiser (above) is a bit bigger then the others, except the ALBAR and SAND EAGLE. They share the same chassi as far as i can remember.
You have the small one here: But as you can see it has plastic rollbars and fewer details.

Also found a Sweet couple @ Tamiyaclub.com. The Sand Eagle & it's twin, the Sand Spider

Name:	Ol31662.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1557795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56190.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	1557796  
Old 02-03-2011, 02:36 AM
MdniteToker

Well, all I can say is Good Luck! In the best sense.. I've been looking for so many years now, and got lucky i guess.
But one thing is for sure... Nothing is impossible!

I got to give a thumbs up & a high 5 in general to all you guys out there who share the same joy and interest in these forums.
It really is a great place to share both whatever hides in your old basement, and also finding the ones you've been looking for since kindergarden!

Another moment of joy today.. Got lucky and found an old Kyosho Landjump that was sitting in an old barn for ages...
Made an offer and got it, before he could establish what he actually had in his posession

ORIGINAL: martsrc

That's a nice looking jeep. Now I need to find me one
Old 02-03-2011, 01:23 PM
gulfstreamI

You are welcome Mdnite Toker.

Back then the r.c. cars were focused more on scale and realistic features. The six speed "dual" (Low and High) ban be found on certain 1:1 scale cars from the 1980's.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:41 AM
MdniteToker

Well... Here it is...!!! came in the mail yesterday.. Along with the other car i was expecting.. The Landjump (Which I am now suspecting is a Thunder Tiger Silver Fox)

Here's a small video i did yesterday, just to show how it looks..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orYABX4ln8I

Name:	Ki18639.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1559306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79982.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1559307  
Old 09-17-2012, 10:09 AM
palaka46

I have one of these land cruisers, its the nikko not the Tandy, same as the one mdnite toker's images, its seen better days and isn't working but its here if anyone is interested, one day about 25 years ago it just stopped working and i loved it so much i kept it with the intention of fixing it but i never have and its followed me around the world since then, so no the time has come that i have to let it go as it will never work again in my possession. Whilst looking into it i stumbled across this site.  so if anyone is interested let me know and ill upload some pics of it
Old 12-04-2014, 02:54 PM
MdniteToker

Long time since I've checked in here, but thought it wold be the right place to announce my possible parting with this fantastic memorabilia.
It is now on Ebay. -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151498714303...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

After moving, I have to free up some shelfspace. And some of my vintage models are sadly going to be put on Ebay. But hopefully make room for more fun