Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Classic Cars & Trucks
Reload this Page >

Kyosho TUrbo Optima Mid SE Questions.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

Kyosho TUrbo Optima Mid SE Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:15 AM
imagesowner2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho TUrbo Optima Mid SE Questions.

HEllo there!! I am new here to the boards so hello to all!!!

I have been building a Vintage Turbo Optima Mid SE from ground up over the past year or so and have recently gotten it to the point of testing it out. Ibuilt it all from new parts that I orderedd piece by piece from all over the world. Now that I have it just about done I have some quesrtions that you all here might be able to help me out with. Iused to be into RC cars years ago (around 1989-1992) But have just recently got back into it so I am waaaay out of the loop on stuff now. THis started as a project that me and my Son started and blew up from there.

Here goes the questions. Thank you in advance for anby help.

1. What is the best spur gear to use if you are looking to reach top speed? I have seen a 74 tooth SPur gear for sale but don't know if that is the best one or not.

2. off of question #1 , what is the best motor geat to use with the best Spur gear if you are trying to optain top speed?

3. Does anyone know where to buy hop up parts for these cars other than on Ebay? I have bought a wide variety of stuff on Ebay but dopn't know if it my only avenue.

4. Tires, Tires, Tires. I believe the Optima has a 1.9" wheel . If that is , in fact correct do any of you know where to get good tires for it? Ihave some that I stumbled across on Ebay but they are not the est quality.

5. Foam inserts for these tires? I don't seem to be able to locate foam inserts for these tires any where. please help.

6. body painting. If I wanted to get a custom paint job does anyone here know where to egt it done at? somewhere i could send it possibly. I live in Kentucky and don't knpow af any where around here. Maybe am airbrush shop but i don't think so.

7. I am running a Mamba Max 7700 KV motor and ESC with a 7.4 V 2 S Lipo battery. Is this too much for this car? or can I push it more?

I think that is it for now. Thank you all again for the help. I will be a regular on here for a while now. I am trying to see if I can learn any tricks of the trade.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Eman77

Default RE: Kyosho TUrbo Optima Mid SE Questions.

Cool! I used to have one of these, but sold it years ago. I'm sorry, but I can't help you much on your questions. I really do think ebay might be your only decent parts option, unfortunately. Either that, or find a Kyosho forum with vintgae guys buying/selling vintage kyosho stuff.

I never ran foams in mine (they didn't have 'em back then!), so I wouldn't sweat it. Either that, or buy some 2.2 foams and trim them down.

I do think that a MM 7700 is way too hot (meaning, too fast) for any 4WD offroader, including this one. A more suitable choice is normally a 5700 tops for offroad 4WD. So I would not get anything faster. In fact, I'd be worried if the belts could take either setup (5700 or 7700).

Either one will yield insane speeds and power.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:54 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with eman, the belt is going to have a hard time dealing with that power.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:00 PM
imagesowner2

I think I am already having that problem now. Ihear a grinding sound when I hit reverse to fast. I cant tell if the belt is slipping or ther rear differential is slipping. hmmmmm. I think I need to tone it down a tad.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:02 PM
imagesowner2

I found so e good repro tires for cheap. PNly problem is they are from a foreign site. But I do have a swedish friend that will order them for me. If any of you are looking for these tires the link is here. They look dang close to the original OT-66 Tires

http://www.conrad.com/1%3a10-BUGGY-Q...0_1202312&Ctx={
Old 04-29-2011, 09:12 AM
Eman77

Cool, good luck! I ran a 19T brushed motor in my Mid SE for a bit, and that was fast enough to be fun w/out damaging things.