I noticed while restoring the chassis that there were some small cracks along the screw holes. I glued them for now, and I will think about a stronger fix like epoxy if I run into any problems down the road. The chassis has a million scratches on the bottom and the bumper that came with the car was chipped up pretty bad and cracked.
Wherever it was possible, I switched out the original brass and brass alloy hardware with identical gun metal colored ones that I set aside as spares for my other R/Cs. The car was inexpensive but had a long list of problems, but yet it still worked. Around five months after I got the car, I was able to track down all the replacements I needed to restore it.
I found a spare set of wheel covers and bought them because my cousin Ja-Rome said that if they're not glued in they'll fly off and are pretty easy to loose. He had only one wheel cover left from the kit he bought back in the mid 1980s, but he also bought a spare set at the same time I got mine. I started restoring this car over a year ago, but it got sidelined for other projects at the time. Here are the old wheels made new with a polished silver color. The wheel covers are also painted pure white, and all these parts were sealed with two spray coats of clear gloss lacquer.
I bought a new in box Porsche 962C body kit for this car, especially since it came to me as a Frankenstein machine. It had the sport version's rear end system, which uses a different linkage setup than the GTP or longer wheelbase cars. The body I got was from a Ford Mustang Probe, but that too was beaten up badly thru the years. Since the only manual I could get in print was the Porsche, I decided to restore it as that car. The other cars are the Lancia Delta, the BMW, and the Ford Mustang Probe.
The controller is bigger than the car - it reminds me of the Walkera 4#3b! The CPR unit is a receiver and esc built into one, and has a single steering servo, hardwired in the chassis compartment with a smart length of wire attached. The on/off switch is located under the chassis, and is a clicking round dial. The instruction manual even called out to install all the switch parts - fancy, eh?
I know that next to the name of the transmitter says "digital proportional R/C system", but it's from 1986 and uses 75mHz AM. Maybe it is, perhaps the first basic form of digital tech in controllers. Who knows . . .
I added a leftover Tamiya sticker to the front of the chassis, and then hand-painted the raised surfaces of the top of the CPR unit. All six racing bearings were well cleaned and oiled, and reinstalled. I had to make two attempts to assemble the rear axle carriage and chassis; the splits along the screw holes got bigger, and I even broke off two standoffs for the carriage linkage. After fixing that for good (hopefully) I put them together again without a hitch.
The planetary gear and pinion were the dirtiest gears of the bunch, and I was really worried that a car this old was going to have bad problems with the tranny. After taking it apart, there wasn't anything to worry about at all. Ja-Rome said that the diff gears are really small (about the size of two 3mm diff balls) and he lost one for his diff and ended up making the rear end into posi/ direct drive. I used an old toothbrush and some soft scrub on all the plastic parts and they cleaned up fantastic, and there's no chips, cracks, or pits anywhere on any of them. The soft scrub also brought back the whiteness of all the gears and made them look brand new.
I had trouble installing the axle into the bearings and realized that my epoxy repairs made a mess where I couldn't see. I ended up able to drill thru a channel that runs along inside the carriage body and clear away all the gunk. I put a 3mm washer up behind the axle drive hub, to take up any slack from decades of wear and tear, test fitted it, and was pretty happy. The drive hub polished up nicely on the dremel tool, and the assembled diff works pretty well considering it's protected with a double layer coating of molybdenum grease.
I'm still working along, getting this project completed so I can shelf queen it for good and move on to the next project.
I will post more pics when the whole car is complete, which I hope will be late next week.