Community
Search
Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

NEED HELP with Marui Ninja

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Yamahamarui

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP with Marui Ninja

Greetings!

Trying to restore my one, and only, REAL R/C car. I received it as a gift WAY BACK - pre-assembled/used with Airtronics 250 2-ch AM radio - so my familiarity with it is limitted. Looking for information on cross-references (canibalized-parts, upgrades, etc... that will work) to get it running. I may have the local machine shop mill me a gear-box and gears if it comes to that??? Sadly, this car was notorious for destroying diffs. After the last set (needs it's 3rd now) Isaid the heck with it and put it away for 20 yrs. I guess I was hoping to get into an RC-10 or something more reliable/common at the time. I put a w@nt3d add in the marketplace too, under the vintage section.

So far I've refurbished the speed controller, and one of the servo's is flaking-out... I've forgotten a lot of the electronics I studied 20+ yrs. ago - WIRE splices and nuts EVERYWHERE a mannual in .pdf would be VERY helpful if anyone knows where to find one.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:51 AM
cpear760

Default RE: NEED HELP with Marui Ninja

Marui Ninja

aka:
Marui Shogun (had sway bars, metal diff gears)
Marui Coors Melling Thunderbird

I have a scan of the Ninja manual (and a physical one) and a list of screws, bearings, and things. I'm still cross-referencing gear-box and lower A-arm stuff. If you can cross-refence the gears themselves (I'm sure is possible, just time consuming), the car will probably run forever.

I have two of the mechanical speed controllers. If someone actually wants these things, I will gladly sell them. I'm only going ESC now.
I also have the drive shaft (aka center link) that links the front and rear gear boxes if someone needs one.

I have:
runner with near blown diff, Tamiya Sport Tuned 540 motor, Futaba electrics (ie ESC), 12mm axle hex conversion
near-runner w-o electrics, stock all the way
parts car

Bodies and decals:
Ninja Body and Wing (teambluegroov on Ebay)
Ninja decals (tamkyo-reprodecals on Ebay)
-I've purchased both the bodies and decals and they are recommended. If anything, these will give you an excuse to keep running the car.

Driver: ebay. One shows up every now and then. Better luck cross-referencing with HPI or Pro-Line.
-haven't tried one, but perhaps the Tamiya Avante driver would also work since that was just re-released.

Shocks: Same size as the Tamiya DF-02 chassis (3" front, 4" rear)

Stock wheels and tires: I see Rear sets show up all the time on ebay. I've resolved to just put rears on the front when I shelve it

Wheels/Axles: I've done a 12mm hex conversion on my running car so I can run modern wheels.
-uses the original front and rear hubs
HPI RS4 rear axles (need 2 sets, length is dead-on and meshes perfectly with the dog bone axles)
12mm locking hexes with 2x10mm pins (HPI or Tamiya)
4mm nylon nuts with toothed flange
5x10x4mm inner metal bearing (Traxxas)
5x10x3mm outer metal bearing (Team Associated)
-Note: You cannot run the 4mm bearings inside and outside unless you want a car with a parking brake. And running the 3mm both in and outside creates too much slop in the axle.

Wheels: (after the 12mm hex conversion, this will put you in the ballpark)
(again using the Tamiya DF-02 as a reference)
Front: 60x30mm
Rear: 60x35mm
-I currently run HPI's 57x35mm star wheels and M Compound Rally Tires

Chassis: I have not found a modern replacement, but a top-loading battery would be nice.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Big Alice

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Quite a bit of stuff on e bay for it.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313
Old 11-17-2011, 06:22 PM
cpear760

It tends to cycle almost monthly. It floods, dries up, floods again. You have keep an eye on it.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:14 PM
cpear760

Found the manuals online by accident:

http://www.competitionx.com/pdf/vehicle-manuals/mauri-ninja-4wd-manual.pdf

http://www.competitionx.com/pdf/vehi...ird-manual.pdf

The thunderbird manual has the parts list and spare parts list in it. They are basically the same car except for the body posts, height adjustment, and alternate driver placement.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Yamahamarui

Thanks for the help all! I stumbled on a limited supply of Gears, Cases, Screws, Tires/wheels, etc... Ninja parts on ebay - Check Midagekid's store. He has lots of parts and is great to deal with. Ebay was the best place - I got 2 more Ninjas, a Hunter, and a Coors since. I now have a nicely restored original Ninja roller as a result.

BTW: After test driving a Slash - I'll most likely shelve the Ninjas.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:33 AM
pascalfusco

Hello there,

I was wondering if you still have the center prop shaft for Marui Ninja.

I am on a restoration project and I'm looking for one shaft.

Please let me know. Best regards,

Pascal
Old 03-07-2012, 09:45 PM
cpear760

If you go to ebay right now there are several sets of center links for sale.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:03 PM
cpear760

About the wheels: If you've done the 12mm axle conversion, just use the 2.2in size. You can find that wheel and tire size anywhere as I've come to realize that's the modern 1/10 buggy wheel.

Now finding red wheels is the hard part. May have to resort to painting some white wheels red.

ORIGINAL: cpear760

Marui Ninja

aka:

I have a scan of the Ninja manual (and a physical one) and a list of screws, bearings, and things. I'm still cross-referencing gear-box and lower A-arm stuff. If you can cross-refence the gears themselves (I'm sure is possible, just time consuming), the car will probably run forever.

I have two of the mechanical speed controllers. If someone actually wants these things, I will gladly sell them. I'm only going ESC now.
I also have the drive shaft (aka center link) that links the front and rear gear boxes if someone needs one.

I have:
runner with near blown diff, Tamiya Sport Tuned 540 motor, Futaba electrics (ie ESC), 12mm axle hex conversion
parts car

Bodies and decals:
-I've purchased both the bodies and decals and they are recommended. If anything, these will give you an excuse to keep running the car.

Driver: ebay. One shows up every now and then. Better luck cross-referencing with HPI or Pro-Line.
-haven't tried one, but perhaps the Tamiya Avante driver would also work since that was just re-released.

Stock wheels and tires: I see Rear sets show up all the time on ebay. I've resolved to just put rears on the front when I shelve it

Wheels/Axles: I've done a 12mm hex conversion on my running car so I can run modern wheels.
HPI RS4 rear axles (need 2 sets, length is dead-on and meshes perfectly with the dog bone axles)
-Note: You cannot run the 4mm bearings inside and outside unless you want a car with a parking brake. And running the 3mm both in and outside creates too much slop in the axle.

Chassis: I have not found a modern replacement, but a top-loading battery would be nice.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:41 AM
NBCTANK

I wish I still had that Mauri Melling T Bird. I know there's 2 on ebay now but at over $600.00 each. A little out of my pocket range.
I think I may have some misc parts. I'll take pics and see if any you may need.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:11 PM
cpear760

Ok, Thanks!

If you have gear box parts, I need those the most. Might be some Tamiya cross-referencing as the diff from the Hotshot/Boorang cars look a lot similar.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:57 AM
Lucozade

Default Holy thread revival !

Originally Posted by cpear760
Marui Ninja

aka:

I have:
parts car

Bodies and decals:

Hi. Can you tell me what RS4 axles please? There are nitro and electric ones.
Thanks
Old 11-15-2016, 05:03 AM
Lucozade

There are few types of RS4 axles and i want to buy the right ones.
Can anyone tell me the correct ones fir this masterful plan?