RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

Worlds Fastest Tamiya Hilux Monster Racer/King Cab

Old 05-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Tyco Bandit King

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Worlds Fastest Tamiya Hilux Monster Racer/King Cab

I have spent the last 5 years beefing up the stock transmission in this truck trying to make it hold brushless power, I even went as far as to machine out the diff housing. Well I got sick of replacing parts over the years and decided to swap out a Traxxas full steel VXL transmission. It took a bit of work to get it to fit and work right but it is by far the best mod I have done to it.
Now.......
It uses traxxas driveshafts(had to modify the hubs).
Can handle all the power I wanna throw at it.
But best of all, it looks bone stock.
This truck is now 23 years old but runs like a bat out of hell. Using the same motor, speed control, transmission etc on my stampede I can get 74mph w/11.1v lipo on radar using a small brick to keep the front end down.

I went from the 8.4v 5000mah to my 5400mah 11.1v lipo and this truck is insane. I cut the shock tower and was able to mount the battery all the way up front at the lowest position. This chassis is lighter and has much better weight balance and center of gravity than my stampede,a rustler or bandit. On my bushnell radar its already gone over 70mph pedeling the throttle. My biggest problem with the stampede was keeping the front down. Instead of having to add weight to this or a bandit/rustler the battery is soo far forward that I wont have to add extra weight to keep the front end down at speeds over 60mph. I will be testing the max speed soon but I have no doubt it will do 80mph+ and probably closer to 85mph. Im not sure of anybody who has gotten one of these to do over 50mph yet but i'd sure like to see more of them out there.

Its most fun to drive it with the 8.4v and lower gearing but with the 11.1v mounted up front I can actually go full throttle through a grass field and it wont try to wheelie over at speeds of around 40mph which I could never do with the stampede.
Name:  8e827c71.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  251.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0570.jpg
Size:  144.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0571.jpg
Size:  164.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0574.jpg
Size:  199.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0573.jpg
Size:  212.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0572.jpg
Size:  215.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0575.jpg
Size:  237.2 KB
Old 05-11-2012, 11:30 AM
t9dragon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Worlds Fastest Tamiya Hilux Monster Racer/King Cab

How do you know if it is the world's fastest Hilux?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Tyco Bandit King

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There are not many out there with a Hilux Monster Racer, at that none of them with any kind of stock modified transmission can handle this kind of power. It takes a lot more work than just adding power to achieve the speeds ive already gone. In no forum or anywhere else can I find anyone with a swapped transmission and near the modifications and nobody has ever claimed above 50mph to my knowledge. I will be posting some videos soon of the trucks top speed runs on radar and the highest speed I can achieve with it. If anyone else can come forward and show a faster Hilux than more power to em, I would like to see more people modding these trucks. But for now Im about positive its the fastest in existance and by a long stretch
Old 10-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Mister Sinister

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nevermind the haters, that thing is awesome. I'm a big Hilux fan myself, and own a stocker. It was always my favorite RCvehicle.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:03 PM
puffdogg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This i awesome dude.I still have my Tamiya King Cab from when i was a kid and i just sold one of these.I have to say this is must be the fastest or one of the fastest Tamiya Hillux that i know of.Well done for holding onto most of the car in this project.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:36 PM
BMKTW2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow! That hilux is awesome!
I had one of these when I was a kid, I really wish I would have not lost it... My older brother and me put it together. I was in 7th grade. I did the box paint job exactly like how you have, my mom helped me mask and paint and it looked awesome! Those red rims are super cool. I drove it stock for a while but eventually upgraded it with a trinity experimental 13t triple motor and novac rooster ESC.
Unfortunately after I saved up money and bought my SRT, the old tamiya hilux fell to the wayside and eventually got lost.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:27 AM
jbarbee00

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

@TycoBanditKing - I have recently resurrected my Toyota Hilux to start and teach my boys about the r/c car hobby world. I am looking to upgrade the stock transmission with a all steel Traxxas VXL as you did. Any chance you could share some more pics particularly around the areas where you modified the transmission housing?
Old 12-05-2016, 01:29 PM
n20cpri

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pretty awesome. I love the vintage stuff. My friend has a Monster Racer going 65 - it's a work in progress. Hard to keep it from wheeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyhbQpFZhnc&index=5&list=PLSv0dlSlpMh1j1TyXKuUMZOyrLAey2lIL

Search this Thread