Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Classic Cars & Trucks
Reload this Page >

1989 VINTAGE MUGEN AND TAMIYA RC CARS...WHAT ARE THEY WORTH

Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

1989 VINTAGE MUGEN AND TAMIYA RC CARS...WHAT ARE THEY WORTH

Old 05-14-2012, 01:50 PM
denversbest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 VINTAGE MUGEN AND TAMIYA RC CARS...WHAT ARE THEY WORTH

I have a 1989 Tamiya Frie Dragon its in the box and appears to be complete and about 95% unbuilt
Also have a 1989 MUGEN Super Sport 92 appears to be complete and unbuilt
Both have bodys and sticker sheets unused.

Anyone know anything about these or what they might be worth??

Came from a trip to the flea market one weekend, took a gamble thinking I could trade them for a modern RTR 4wd truck for my girlfriend.

If you need pics let me know!!!
Old 05-15-2012, 05:29 AM
jkmrs

Default RE: 1989 VINTAGE MUGEN AND TAMIYA RC CARS...WHAT ARE THEY WORTH

Hi!
I am after a Mugen Super Sport and lost a bid on eBay this afternoon for one that went at 42£ (about 65$). There was another one here in Czech that went for about the same price. Both were used with traces of rust on some screws, but otherwise looked OK, so I guess 60-70$ is the average, maybe a bit more for an unbuilt one?
I have one and cannot find spare parts anymore ( and I only need a spur gear!!) so I can't see anyone paying a lot for something that they won't be able to fix if something happens.

Good luck!
J.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:49 PM
denversbest

I hope thats not the case it would be a shame, i saw on other forums that they are worth some cash. I find lots of parts on ebay just no completed listings for the cars themselves.

I did see fire dragons that have sold for $100 but its the MUGENS Im wondering about.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:52 PM
denversbest

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54176.jpg
Views:	1915
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	1762949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23879.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	1762950  
Old 05-15-2012, 07:30 PM
denversbest

Name:	Ki18605.jpg
Views:	1383
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	1763077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47387.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	1763078  
Old 05-16-2012, 12:19 AM
jkmrs

I looked around and found a French forum where someone asked the exact same question as you, and got pretty much the same answer : worth about 50€. He (user name KoZak) sold it for 60€ in the end.
Here's the link, it's all on the first page : http://www.automodelisme.com/index.p...&topic=38602.0

This said, some RTRs are pretty cheap, so you might still find someone who's into vintage cars who would be willing to swap.
Otherwise, why don't you put it together and use it? It's a great buggy.

You wrote that you found spares on ebay? I only found some for MBX4/5/6, so would you mind posting/PM the links?

Thanks!
J.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:34 AM
soops

Hiya mate,

don't take this the wrong way and think that I'm boasting but I'm the one who outbid you on the the 15th for the Mugen Super Sport chassis. I wanted it because of the lightweight chassis, the adjustable shocks, mugen stamped battery plate and various other parts like the alloy steering cranks and the front wheels.

At present I have a fully complete Super Sport and a nearly finished roller.Here's my complete one, minus it's shell,

When I bought it a couple of years ago it cost me £120 and was filthy so I gave it a full stripdown and clean and put it back together. It has an OS engine fitted and I also have two more period motors that I will try in my other chassis and see how they go. One is a Serpent S-Max with matching exhaust and the other is a MondialMotors .21. I bought that from a bloke selling an SS a couple of years back, he was selling a complete chassis but he took the engine out as he though that it was seized. I wanted it because it has the option exhaust manifold. I gave him £15 for both the engine and pipe and when I got it I managed to get it moving again, it wasn't seized it was just tight as if it had never been run in fully and it was just old fuel that had gummed it up.

I will have a look around for you and see if I have a spare spur gear for you. if not there is a bloke on tamiyaclub in France called Damien. He put up some pictures a while back of an SS that he had made up out of several chassis. I got in touch with him as I was enquiring about some spares(I have a diff that needs apart)but what he wanted for them was more than what I wanted to pay. If you go on there http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model...06692&id=33492and he may be able to help you.

Later mate

D.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:47 AM
denversbest

Soops so you paid almost $200 in US dollars for a super sport that was built and in bad shape??
And was the one you won on the 15th just a chassis???

Name:	Ig13124.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	1763983  
Old 05-19-2012, 12:08 PM
soops

LOL, not quite as bad as it seemed in my description.This is a picture of it that the seller took with some of the bits in the background

Outwardly it was clean enough but there was all kinds of grit and grime in all the hard to reach places. I like to strip down any car I get anyway just to make sure that everything is hunky dory and there is no hidden surprises.

There was the usual stuff that crept under the gearboxes and in the hingepins but I drop all my stuff in underground penetrating oil, it's evil smelling stuff but gets everything out and leaves all plastics gleam.

There was also the box and instructions for the OS engine, two original bodyshellsand one rear wing all in top condition, the original mugen instruction/build manual plus an unused sticker sheet. There was also a few promotional flyers and as I said before, about 10+ still sealed parts bags as well as a still sealed in bag, crank and conrod for the OS. All in all the boot of my car was quite full in my journey home.

I got bitten by the old Mugen bug when I bought this off ebay. It was just labelled as '1/8 buggy'. The bloke selling it was part of an aero club and was selling it for one of the other members, who in turn knew nothing about it so it was just listed as is. I saw it and took a punt and got it for £16.I had a poor condition shell and the wing was in pieces, but mechanically it was in sound condition. This is the one that I got the Serpent S-Max engine and pipe out of.

The one that I bought the other day is this one. It has the lightweight option chassis, the alloy steering cranks the front wheels I need to make up a set of four and a host of other little bits and bobs that I need for my purposes. Now I plan to make a pure shelfer with all the correct screws that I am missing in places and have a runner as well.
These are the pics I have saved from the ebay auction. Whenever I find another Sport or SS I try to save the image just to get any idea of option parts or mods.

Just needs a strip, clean and polish.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:37 AM
jkmrs

Hi Soops,

no hard feelings at all!! (I KILL YOU!!! : )) I had a look at my Mugen again (its a 2WD sport, not a SS) and think I'm just going to let it go. I am really not that much into cars (planes and helis) and only had it around for a bit of fun in the garden from time to time. I've found out during my search for a spur gear that there are people really into refurbishing old RC cars who might enjoy my mugen much more than I do. I only want something that goes, I don't care about the historical value! So I'll put it up for sale on one of those vintage forums and get myself a cheap RTR.
Do you have a lot of vintage RC cars?

Here are some pics. The Picco engine is running like a clock so I might keep it. I'll see.
[img]Computer\Xperia neo\Memory Card\DCIM\100ANDRO\DSC_1683.JPG[/img]
[img]Computer\Xperia neo\Memory Card\DCIM\100ANDRO\DSC_1678.JPG[/img]
Cheers!
J.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:56 AM
jkmrs

Oouupps, not sure the pics are showing up, if not,  they are in my Gallery...
Old 05-21-2012, 03:05 AM
soops

Hi J,

wow, your car certainly looks like it's been in the wars, those wheels have been really hammered! It's not a big job to convert a Sport to 4WD SS spec, it's just the drive cup from the centre diff, propshaft and then front diff and driveshafts.Nice to see that you've still got the proper shocks.How strong is that front top arm, had it been totally snapped at one time?

I have the one in my pictures that Is all complete and ready to run, then I have another chassis that is all in bits ready for spares and then I have the one that I won last week. Each one has slightly different parts or places stamped differently to another. One has a plastic spur gear and another has a steel one. None of the three cars I have would be totally identical if sat next to each other.Does your car have it's proper bodyshell or wing?

I personally I like the more offbeat cars that not a lot of folks have.I have my (3)Super Sports, then a Mugen MBX4 XR(plus another in bits), a tamiya nitrage, kyosho mad force kruizer VE, tamiya CC-01 Unimog and an FTX colossus chassis that I may do up and get running again.My eldest boy hasa kyosho inferno and a tamiya fighter buggy(with madbull wheels, tyres and steering arms) and my youngest has a tamiya grasshopper.They both have a little helicopter each too.

I was cursing you for bidding on that super sport. The seller started it at £20 and had a £35 buy now. I was hoping to get it cheap but you kept bidding me up . Did you see the Super Athlete that finished yesterday, went for £46 but it didn't have it's shell. Those hard to find bodyshells are what is keeping the price of these cars low at the moment. I was lucky in finding one that had two bodies.

I'm one that likes to see old cars but they need to be run, not just sat on a shelf, that's not to say that I throw my cars over big jumps or sink them in the mud but I do have my fun out of them.

If you ever do decide to sell, drop me a line first and we may be able to work something out.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:26 AM
jkmrs

Hi,

Yes, the wheels took a few bumps! The front arm snapped completely and some bits went missing. It's still pretty strong though, the grey tube is made of steel, something I had left from the retractable landing gear of a defunct plane. If I keep it longer, my future repairs will just turn it even more into a FrankenMugen from Mad Max!

Sorry, I don't have the wing nor body shell (actually, I may have the body shell somewhere, but it would be in very poor condition). 

The only Super Athlete I've seen around in on ebay in France, it's now at about 77€. I'll PM you the link, not sure what the policy of RCU is when it comes to commercial websites...

I'll write you about my Mugen, no clue what it's worth with the engine.

Cheers!
J.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:40 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: denversbest

I have a 1989 Tamiya Frie Dragon its in the box and appears to be complete and about 95% unbuilt
Also have a 1989 MUGEN Super Sport 92 appears to be complete and unbuilt
Both have bodys and sticker sheets unused.

Anyone know anything about these or what they might be worth??

Came from a trip to the flea market one weekend, took a gamble thinking I could trade them for a modern RTR 4wd truck for my girlfriend.

If you need pics let me know!!!
Denver - the fire dragon was rereleased a couple of years back so they are common. They were also not one of tamiyas best sellers so put the two together and it's not a recipe for big bucks. I bought my second dragon off eBay opened but unbuilt like yours for $45. It was a 7 day auction no reserve and I was only the 4th or 5th bidder.

As for the mugen. You'll need to find the right buyer. In my area nitro is a dead breed. Everyone I've talked to has had enough of the mess, headache and noise so they have pretty much died out. I had a kyosho inferno I practically had to give away to get rid of it.

I know it's not the news you wanted to hear but it's what I've seen over the years. I would recommend you build the tamiya and have fun with it. They are fun runners.