Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Classic Cars & Trucks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya Frog - bringing it into the 21st Century

Community
Search
Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

Tamiya Frog - bringing it into the 21st Century

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 04:50 PM
wvcruffler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tamiya Frog - bringing it into the 21st Century

Howdy all,
My Frog has sat in the basement with no progress for a decade. This weekend on a whim I bought an electrix Boost - a cheapie intro level RC with similar features to the Frog. I see there is a lot of technology improvement (duh) in the new models. Is there a thread somewhere on how to change up to new radio, servos, receiver, brushless motor, etc? My guess is someone has already chronicled such an upgrade and I'd like to not reinvent the wheel. Thanks all

Phil
The following users liked this post:
MongoPete (02-08-2020)
Old 10-28-2012, 06:23 PM
wvcruffler

Default RE: Tamiya Frog - bringing it into the 21st Century

The following users liked this post:
MongoPete (02-08-2020)
Old 10-28-2012, 06:26 PM
wvcruffler

Old 10-28-2012, 06:28 PM
wvcruffler

Posted some pics.  Speed control only works in forward and differential doesn't seem to work quite right.  Tons of extra gears and such.  Well, where to go fom here?
Old 10-28-2012, 11:27 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are u planing to do?

swapping the radio gear is very simple, un plug the steering and throttle servos, un thread the areial, and remove the reciver.
then simply re fit the newer one & plug the servo's back in & re do the areial.

replacing the steering servo is very simple, remove the 4 serews holding it & remove the servo horn, the newer servos will drop straight in with no mods.

Upgrading to brushless is simple too, motor is held in with 2 screws, remove and replace with new motor. u will have to put the pinion gear on the new motor

then remove the servo for the mechanical speed controller, remove the MSC, and anything thats attached to it. then use doubble sided tape to fit the new brushless esc...
Old 10-28-2012, 11:30 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally I wouldent change anything on it. I would restore is as a shelf queen or sell it to someone that is interested in the rc car history and buy something els.

I dont see the rear axles lasting to long with a brushless combo, they were never ment to have that amount of power, as far as drive ability the new cheap rc cars are just so much better
Old 10-29-2012, 06:57 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In all honesty there is very little I would change on that car. In looking at it you alreay have aftermarket bumpers and Good steering rods. Here is what I would do.

Get yourself a Tactic 2.4 radio and receiver. Around $70 or pick up a used Traxxas 2.4 with receiver. I’ve seen them for $50 and they are great radios.

Pick up a used Traxxas 2075 waterproof Servo and a Blue XL5 ESC. Both of these can be found on Traxxas website used for about $40-$45 total. I would also get the waterproof receiver box while you’re over there. That way you will have a water proof rig.

Get the CRP front shock kit for the frog. This will add real shocks to the front and replace the springs in the stock setup. I had this on a Brat.. It was a great setup.

I would NOT recommend brushless in a Frog. The gearbox CANNOT handle it unless you can find the old trans case braces.

Get new Frog tires direct from Tower or upgrade to Desert Gator wheels which will allow you to run modern tire sizes from Proline.

Get a New body and decals. .

Everything else I would simply rebuild and clean up as it looks good.

What “is not quit right” with the gear box? The frog has an open diff so if you spin one wheel forward the other should spin backwards.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:14 AM
wvcruffler

The rear diff does not rotate opposite when turning one wheel - it sort of "skips".  However, when I run the battery and speed control it does drive both wheels.  My guess there is buggerage within the box.  Will need to get into it eventually.  This car looks like it originally had a battery pack for the receiver.  The black wire from the receiver is now wired into the drive battery.  The speed control doesn't seem to work on the reverse side.  The electrix car came with a spare set of crystals so I matched the receiver to the radio finally, so later this afternoon we will see if it works.  Are there not brushless motors in the same power range as the older 540's?  This motor doesn't look stock either.  Anyway, will post more this afternoon.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:18 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are brushless motors out there that have roughly the same output as a brushed 540.

One the lower priced side you can find an Turnigy system with lower KV motor but even then you are still talking about a large amount of torque that could push the gearbox halves apart.

Since there are replacement parts available it’s an option..
Old 12-22-2012, 01:15 PM
superchamp78
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IM A VINTAGE RC COLLECTER I WOULD KEEP JUST LIKE THAT AND FIX THE TRANNY ISSUE I WOULD KEEP IT BRUSHED AT MOST I WOULD UPGRADE TO A VINTAGE NOVAK ESC AND ENJOY IT THEY ARE NOT BUILD TO HOLD BRUSHLESS POWER OR GEARED FOR IT BETTER OF BUYING A TRAXXAS RUSTLER FOR THE SAME FEEL I HAVE ONE I TEND TO KEEP IT OLD SCHOOL BUT NO REVERSE DOES SUCK
Old 02-08-2013, 09:41 AM
jonahkone

Yeah I'd have to agree, you're not going to get it to perform all that great compared to most new stuff but it would be really awesome to restore it to original working condition.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Delta63

The tranny won't be able to handle a brushless motor.

....As i found out in my old grasshopper.