Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Classic Cars & Trucks
Reload this Page >

Tires and some other thing for an 84 Monogram Lightning Buggy

Community
Search
Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

Tires and some other thing for an 84 Monogram Lightning Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 05:49 AM
Scottypiper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires and some other thing for an 84 Monogram Lightning Buggy

I want to get back into the hobby after 28 yrs and my one and only rc car was a 1984 1/10 Monogram Lightning Buggy. It's been sitting in my parents house in my closet and I decided to take it out and see if it still works...well I'm glad to say it does. Not bad for not running it in about 24 yrs. But there are some things that neeed replaced on it.

Things that need fixed/replaced:

I'm missing the antenna for the receiver and the antenna for the transmitter was broke off. I jimmy rigged it with some copper electrical wire to see if the car still works before going any further.

All 4 tires are dry-rotted...which is understandable.The front tires (2 grooved tires) even have a flat spot on them because something was on top of the car in the front. Rear wheels are decent but the square knobs one them are pretty worn. The rims are a little different diameter...the ones in the back are a little bigger in diameter and width then the front ones....as well as the tires.

I'll probably have to replace thetwo - 6 cell 7.2V, 1200mAh NiCd batteries as well. After all these years, I doubt that cycling these will ever get my close to it's original capacity. I know about the battery memory issue with the NiCd...having to run them to nothing and then charge them full instead of giving them partial charges...etc.

Questions - will modern day antennas work for both the buggy and my transmitter? Which batteries do you suggest? Should I go over into NiMH batteries? Tires - any suggestions?

I'm not looking to modernize it that much....I'll be letting my 6 yr old daughter play with this one while I get my e firestorm flux or rustler VXL here soon. Not looking for a collector restoration....but more of a functional restoration.

Thank you.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:04 PM
trev0006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tires and some other thing for an 84 Monogram Lightning Buggy

I used to have the same RC Buggy back in the day, to be honest the RC cars today even the cheap ones are much more reliable them the old ones so it would take more cash to fix up the old then just buying new.

ORIGINAL: Scottypiper

I want to get back into the hobby after 28 yrs and my one and only rc car was a 1984 1/10 Monogram Lightning Buggy. It's been sitting in my parents house in my closet and I decided to take it out and see if it still works...well I'm glad to say it does. Not bad for not running it in about 24 yrs. But there are some things that neeed replaced on it.

Things that need fixed/replaced:

I'm missing the antenna for the receiver and the antenna for the transmitter was broke off. I jimmy rigged it with some copper electrical wire to see if the car still works before going any further.

All 4 tires are dry-rotted...which is understandable. The front tires (2 grooved tires) even have a flat spot on them because something was on top of the car in the front. Rear wheels are decent but the square knobs one them are pretty worn. The rims are a little different diameter...the ones in the back are a little bigger in diameter and width then the front ones....as well as the tires.

I'll probably have to replace the two - 6 cell 7.2V, 1200mAh NiCd [link=http://www.discountpartcenter.com/tire/goodyear.htm]goodyear[/link] batteries as well. After all these years, I doubt that cycling these will ever get my close to it's original capacity. I know about the battery memory issue with the NiCd...having to run them to nothing and then charge them full instead of giving them partial charges...etc.

Questions - will modern day antennas work for both the buggy and my Audi transmitter? Which batteries do you suggest? Should I go over into NiMH batteries? Tires - any suggestions?

I'm not looking to modernize it that much....I'll be letting my 6 yr old daughter play with this one while I get my e firestorm flux or rustler VXL here soon. Not looking for a collector restoration....but more of a functional cheap tires restoration.

Thank you.