Community
Search
Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

6mm hex to 12mm hex adapter

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 10:43 PM
Ebola0001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6mm hex to 12mm hex adapter

hey guys, I am in the process of reviving a 1986 NIKKO "Military Lobo" buggy. atleast that is the closest description i can find for it.

It was mine when I was much younger, and recently found it in a box of stuff at my moms house. I have gutted the original electronics and it now has a Park 370 brushless motor, a 3S Lipo pack at 1300mAh (I have plans to put a second 1300maH pack in when i get done with the transmission), a new servo with servo saver for steering.

the stock steering servo (if you could call it that) was interesting. it was a spring centered pair of polarized magnets next to a magnetic coil. the circuitry pulsed the coil positive, or negative to push / pull the magnets towards the center of the coil, controlling the timing let it turn more or less, but there was no need for a servo saver, if the wheels got bumped, the magnets would just pivot out and snap back when they were free again. pretty elegant if heavy setup i think.

the park 370 if a brushless 4100kV motor, and with its adapter plate bolted directly into the motor socket on the transmission of the car so it was the easiest way to do the motor. stock the vehicle came with a 7.2V brushed speed 280 size can motor. the ESC right now is a flight style ESC (Jeti advance 18 plus), so it only has forward and brakes, but that's OK with me for now. This thing is almost too overpowered now, with the transmission in "high mode" and wide open throttle, it will put itself onto its roof after 20 ft about half the time.

the two batteries were interesting to fit, one lives in the upper compartment where the circuit board used to be, and the other lives in the original battery box down low. (stock this thing ate 8 AA batteries at a time, probably why i never used it enough to break it back in the day)

my current problem is I got the car running well with this setup for a couple of days, and one of the bushings seized up, and locked a wheel. thankfully the gearing was fine, just the bushing. the transmission/motor/rear wheel set was built to never be taken apart, i guess you would just buy a whole transmission set. Obviously 27 years later that is not a option, so i set about taking it apart against its will.

I had to destroy one of the wheels in the process unfortunately, but I have new bits ordered i can rebuild it with so its able to be disassembled next time.

My problem is in replacing one or both rear wheels now. They are hex drive like modern ones are, however the hex is 6mm across the flats where as everything I can find lists 12mm hex as the standard wheel mounting size. so I am looking for some kind of adapter,or a source for wheels with a 6mm hex drive.

if I have to i modeled the rim in Solidworks and can have a set rapid prototyped, but it will cost me $43 after shipping, and that doesn't address what to do about tires (as these will wear out, and i have no source for replacements)

the rear tires are approx 2.5" diameter and about 1.375" wide the wheel rims are about 1.375" in diameter, and about 1.25" wide if that helps
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85640.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	1850182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12413.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1850183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49917.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	47.2 KB