Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Classic Cars & Trucks
Reload this Page >

1986 Nikko Military "Turbo Panther"? reborn

Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

1986 Nikko Military "Turbo Panther"? reborn

Old 02-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Ebola0001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 Nikko Military "Turbo Panther"? reborn

hey guys after failing to find adapters for the stock 6mm hex drive shafts on my Lobo. I set about fabricating new drive shafts to adapt the 6mm hex of the differential to the 1/16 pin drive of the newer wheels.

I located new wheels and tires that are approximately the right size in the Associated 18MT wheel/tire set. I am using these for the rears, they are tiny bit larger than the old ones but still ok.

The new front tires I am using the Losi LOSB1951 tires. which are similar in diameter but thinner than the 18MT in the rear to kinda keep the buggy feel (although it looks totally different without its old thin front wheels. They should give it a lot more bite when turning, cause with that was a pretty big weakness once any speed was built, it couldn't turn hardly at all.

both front and rear rims got a tan spray paint makeover to match the styling of the old ones (chrome and red didn't fit the car)

Making the drive shafts was difficult but they actually work and are retained internal to the gearbox with E-clips rather than everything held together with a single bar holding everything in from the outside.

Overall I am happy, although I would like to find some "heavy" step pin type tires to replace the old ones all the step pin types i see now have tiny little pegs rather than the heavy lugs on the old ones.

the steering servo is replaced from the old solenoid/magnet steering rig that was stock with a modern servo + saver setup.

the motor is upgraded from the speed 280 stock motor to a brushless Park 370, I will setup a measured distance time run to clock it, but it FLY's now, I;m just worried that if I hit anything head on at that speed it will total the car. Now it has had a few tumbles at top speed and it flips nose over tail and tumbles dramatically but its a tough old girl and if its lucky enough to land on its feet, is happy to keep going.

the circuitry is all modern now as well with a Trackstar 1/18 ESC and modern reciever / radio setup.

interestingly enough sears still has "some" replacement parts for my car so I am going to be ordering a new body, new front bumper and a few other bits ,the cannon assembly for the roof , the foglights stuff I lost as a child..
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...&prst=&shdMod=

As a side note if anyone would like the old tire set, let me know. One of the rear rims got destroyed, but the tire is fine. the front two tires / rims are fine as well. I also have the stock radio for it still if anyone needs it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35432.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	1854472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71968.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	1854473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61667.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	1854474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85681.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	1854475  
Old 02-21-2013, 01:14 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1986 Nikko Military "Turbo Panther"? reborn

looks like it was a cool little project
Old 02-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Ebola0001

Default RE: 1986 Nikko Military "Turbo Panther"? reborn

After some more research it looks like my car is exactly the same as a "turbo panther" although i can find no reference to one coming in camo. Mine also has the hole in the roof where the canon mounted.

With that said, this gives me a source of spare parts if something breaks. So now I am looking for a turbo panther as a parts car to have on hand if anyone has one that they want to sell
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41719.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	1856541  
Old 12-19-2015, 11:40 AM
Brendanhoyle

Originally Posted by Ebola0001
hey guys after failing to find adapters for the stock 6mm hex drive shafts on my Lobo. I set about fabricating new drive shafts to adapt the 6mm hex of the differential to the 1/16 pin drive of the newer wheels.

I located new wheels and tires that are approximately the right size in the Associated 18MT wheel/tire set. I am using these for the rears, they are tiny bit larger than the old ones but still ok.

The new front tires I am using the Losi LOSB1951 tires. which are similar in diameter but thinner than the 18MT in the rear to kinda keep the buggy feel (although it looks totally different without its old thin front wheels. They should give it a lot more bite when turning, cause with that was a pretty big weakness once any speed was built, it couldn't turn hardly at all.

both front and rear rims got a tan spray paint makeover to match the styling of the old ones (chrome and red didn't fit the car)

Making the drive shafts was difficult but they actually work and are retained internal to the gearbox with E-clips rather than everything held together with a single bar holding everything in from the outside.

Overall I am happy, although I would like to find some "heavy" step pin type tires to replace the old ones all the step pin types i see now have tiny little pegs rather than the heavy lugs on the old ones.

the steering servo is replaced from the old solenoid/magnet steering rig that was stock with a modern servo + saver setup.

the motor is upgraded from the speed 280 stock motor to a brushless Park 370, I will setup a measured distance time run to clock it, but it FLY's now, I;m just worried that if I hit anything head on at that speed it will total the car. Now it has had a few tumbles at top speed and it flips nose over tail and tumbles dramatically but its a tough old girl and if its lucky enough to land on its feet, is happy to keep going.

the circuitry is all modern now as well with a Trackstar 1/18 ESC and modern reciever / radio setup.

interestingly enough sears still has "some" replacement parts for my car so I am going to be ordering a new body, new front bumper and a few other bits ,the cannon assembly for the roof , the foglights stuff I lost as a child..
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...&prst=&shdMod=

As a side note if anyone would like the old tire set, let me know. One of the rear rims got destroyed, but the tire is fine. the front two tires / rims are fine as well. I also have the stock radio for it still if anyone needs it.
Hi there, your upgrade looks amazing! I'm new to this forum, but I was wondering if your offer of the rear tire is still available? I have searched high and low for a replacement tire- and yours is the first I have found.