Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Futaba FX10 Polishing

Guys I'm going to use this thread to follow the rejuvenation or polishing of an old Futaba FX10. I'm going to stop short of calling this a restoration as I'm going to use as much of the original parts as possible. My intent is not to make this car 100%. It's simply to make a nice semi restored classic that can be passed along to someone to either place on their shelf or finish to the degree that they see fit.

These days my personal collection has far outgrown the space I have to store them so the only real way for me to continue to handle new and different cars is to buy a couple at a time, typically from old collections then clean them up to some degree. Once I have taken them as far as I'm going to I am forced to part with them to make room for the next project. Don't get me wrong. When that special car or truck comes along I seem to find one more place to tuck it away but the vast majority go up forsale shortly after I'm done.

Follow along as I take this old girl and make her presentable again.

Here is what I'm starting with. The old girl looks worse for wear than she actually is. There is about a 1/4 inch of dust covering most of the chassis and it appears that the car was left out in the open when the previous owner had his house repainted so there is a fair amount of paint overspray on the car. It also appears to have been stored in a really damp place so I don't have much faith that either of the servos will ever work again. The good news is the gearbox is smooth and doesn't make any kind of odd noises and nothing is bent or broken. The only missing piece seems to be the front bumper.

Here you can see rust on the springs and shock pins. The wheels have yellowed badly and the main chassis is also yellowed and dirty.

Looking at the rear you can see that overspray I was talking about as it shows nicely on the red rear wing. Note the rust on the motor. That's going in the trash for sure.

The underside shows that this car has been run but nothing is broken or badly worn. I don't honestly think it was ran all that much.

Here she is with the body removed. Thankfully the inside looks a lot better than the outside.

I love it! The fx10 was my first hobby grade rc. I bought mine in 1990 I think.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Guys I had some time last night to tear into the FX10. All I can say is that I'm thankful everything came apart without breaking. Some of the parts were badly rusted. Others were just stuck together from years of goo settling on the car.

Over all it took about 10 mins to tear the car down from beginning to end. Not bad really.

With the wheels and tires out of the way we can start to see what were working with. This isn't pretty.

Still not pretty.

Stripped of its front suspension and guts. All that's left is the rear end.

The bottom. Why exactly am I doing this again!!!!!!

Here's all the pieces. Thankfully nothing is broke and I didn't hurt it during disassemble.

Now the hunt is on for parts. Gonna need mostly new metal parts like springs, motor, Shock shafts etc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Well guys I spent spent some quality time last night with tooth picks, q-tips and tooth brushes and got all the gunk and junk off the chassis. From there it took about an hour with some 400 grti sand paper to remove 95% of the scratches and gouges from the main chassis. While it still looked terrible it was clean and smooth. First thing this morning I stopped by my buddies shop (also a huge RC car nut) and had him prime the chassis. This was done with two coats of adhesion promoter then 2 coats of primer with a flex agent so it won't ever flake or peel.

I prefer to use real automotive products whenever I can as the quality, durability and finish are better than anything you can achieve with hobby or hardware store stuff. Yeah it costs more but you only do it once.

Going to let it cure for a couple of days then its a couple of coats of pure white to get it back to the original color.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    My FX-10 and I are jealous! Never thought of painting the chassis back to white. Though mine isn't nearly as bad. I was going to try the old peroxide and sun method to bring mine back, however after finding a crack, painting seems a better option. Very nice. If you needs parts check Team CRP for vintage FX-10 bits. I have some form an almost complete second car, but most are not worthy. Keep the pics coming. S

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks Skippy, The Chassis, Wheels and Wing are all at my buddies shop being painted. I'm hopping to have them back tonight as numerous parts have begun arriving from Ebay.

I'm hoping to have some time to dedicate to this project this weekend so I'll get some more pics up in the next few days.
    Last edited by john01374; 10-23-2013 at 12:23 PM.