Community
Search
Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

What is your favorite vintage RC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:13 AM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your favorite vintage RC?

Just curious what yours is, my favorite has always been the Clodbuster, but Ihave to say that I also am quite fond of the original RC10 gold pan.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:27 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What is your favorite vintage RC?

when i was a kid i lusted after the tamiya 959.

but my personal favorite would have to be the orginal team losi jrx2. that car changed the game into what we now know as modern rc racing.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:36 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My favorite will always be the rc10l, the original with white plastic... Still extremely competitive... and those things came out 30 years ago!
Old 05-18-2010, 09:47 AM
FieroMan121

Traxxas Fiero GTP

but as far as race cars go, the SRT takes all
Old 05-18-2010, 01:40 PM
mechanizeddeath

Favorite that I've owned: Tamiya Brat! I consider it to be one of the earliest examples of a SC truck, though it predates the modern phenomenon. That truck isn't made of plastic and metal, it's made of fun and awesome.

Favorite that I've not owned: Original RC10 goldpan. That thing is still a legend, and I hope to someday find a NIB or barely run version for my collection.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:39 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My favorite is the old Hornet/Hopper cars. The GH was my very first RC car. Over the years I've built and owned more than two dozen of the Hopper/Hornet/Super Hornet/Super G/Hopper 2 cars and they never get old. Yeah there are much better cars and much better builds but these will always be my favs.
The following users liked this post:
tamiyafan4ever (03-02-2020)
Old 05-18-2010, 02:46 PM
kaiser01

ORIGINAL: john01374

My favorite is the old Hornet/Hopper cars. The GH was my very first RC car. Over the years I've built and owned more than a two dozen of the Hopper/Hornet/Super Hornet/Super G/Hopper 2 cars and they never get old. Yeah there are much better cars and much better builds but these will always be my favs.
lol, you are so right. if i get bored with an rc, i'll break out the hopper and the smile returns to my face.

hoppers/hornets and the like are timeless fun machines.

like the old saying "it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast then a fast bike slow", same goes for rc.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:21 PM
mechanizeddeath

Glad I'm not alone with the Grasshopper. The Brat may be my favorite, but the Grasshopper is a very close 2nd. I've seen you two on other threads proclaiming the awesomeness that is the Grasshopper/Hornet.

Two dozen??? [X(] Did you sell them or what? I certainly can't imagine them breaking, maybe slow wear and tear though.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:34 PM
mrsheldon

MY FIRST RC WAS VANESSA'S LUNCH BOX!!!!!!I GOT HER WHEN I WAS 9YRS OLD IT WAS SOMETHING TO HELP ME GET OVER MY POPPOP PASSING. SHE HELPED ME BUILD FROM THE KIT. WE PAINTED IT LIKE THE ATEAM VAN .IM 30 NOW AND MY MOM STILL SAYS IM GLAD I PUT THE CHEMISTRY KIT BACK. BIG UP TO MOMS GREAT VISION. DIDNT MEAN TO GET ALL MUSHY AND STUFF. MY  LUNCH BOX WAS THE ISHH!

Old 05-18-2010, 04:18 PM
mechanizeddeath

Nah man, that's what this is about: memories. Sorry to hear about your dad, I'm very lucky to still have my pops, even if he is a cranky old man these days.

Lunch Box > Chemistry Set. No question. Everyone loves VANESSA!
Old 05-18-2010, 04:44 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: mechanizeddeath

Glad I'm not alone with the Grasshopper. The Brat may be my favorite, but the Grasshopper is a very close 2nd. I've seen you two on other threads proclaiming the awesomeness that is the Grasshopper/Hornet.

Two dozen??? [X(] Did you sell them or what? I certainly can't imagine them breaking, maybe slow wear and tear though.
Yeah they have come and gone over the years. I've tried to build a shelf queen and a runner of each model and in the process I have bought, sold and traded a number of nice and not so nice cars. Currently I have a runner version of each model and a shelf version of all but the Super G. They are extremely hard to find and the guys that have them want an arm, leg and a few other misc parts to give them up...

I've also built a few with/for others. When someone wants to get into RC and wants to build a kit I recommend the Hopper/Hornet so I can honestly say I have assembled at least 25 cars myself and overseen the assembly of at least that many maybe more. The last one I assembled was for a friend and I never opened the manual. It took less 2 hrs and that included at least one beer break....
Old 05-18-2010, 04:58 PM
The Collector1

I think my most favorite vintage that I dont have is the Tamiya Avante but any vintage Tamiya will do
Old 05-18-2010, 07:05 PM
mechanizeddeath

ORIGINAL: john01374

Yeah they have come and gone over the years. I've tried to build a shelf queen and a runner of each model and in the process I have bought, sold and traded a number of nice and not so nice cars. Currently I have a runner version of each model and a shelf version of all but the Super G. They are extremely hard to find and the guys that have them want an arm, leg and a few other misc parts to give them up...

I've also built a few with/for others. When someone wants to get into RC and wants to build a kit I recommend the Hopper/Hornet so I can honestly say I have assembled at least 25 cars myself and overseen the assembly of at least that many maybe more. The last one I assembled was for a friend and I never opened the manual. It took less 2 hrs and that included at least one beer break....
Wow. Guy at the LHS said he could assemble a Lunch Box in probably 90 minutes, he'd built so many over the years. I did the LB over a week or so, but I lacked bearings and had to stop, plus I kept getting invited to parties and suck throughout the week. [8D]

I actually bought and built my Grasshopper under the intention of keeping it a shelf queen. But then I looked at how awesome it was, then threw electronics in it and sent it over huge jumps. [&:]

I know I did the Grasshopper in an evening. Not the most exciting build but simple and fun.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:59 PM
FieroMan121

ORIGINAL: kaiser01

like the old saying ''it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast then a fast bike slow'', same goes for rc.
so true, thats why my fiero gets so much use, it just works and always brings back fond memories.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:11 PM
cumquat

the gold pan, of course. i must say though, any vintage is good enough for me.
i am lucky to have 2 gp's in piles of parts. i really need to get at least one running, maybe do a restore on the other. i have an msc, all stock parts (somewhere), a spare gearbox for the runner and a LOT of free time (one of the perks of being an unemployable teen)
Old 05-19-2010, 12:11 AM
psb667

progess 4x4ws
Old 05-19-2010, 12:42 AM
nitroade

Bigwig, loved that buggy!
Old 05-19-2010, 12:46 AM
redfisher1974

the Big Bear.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:15 AM
Eman77

Schumacher C.A.T.

Competition All Terrain, baby. It was my favorite, but I never owned it.

That was my holy grail.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:29 AM
mechanizeddeath

Amusingly enough, my holy grail was either the Grasshopper or possibly an alternate paint Frog. I saw it somewhere, and it was some buggy with a green stripe on it. All I remember was buggy shape and a green stripe. Could have been anything, but quite possibly a Tamiya. I wanted it, my parents explained it was too expensive, and handed me a Tyco. [&:] [&o] End of story until 2007.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:40 AM
JohnB96041

Hal DeBolt Livewire Champ. Still have one that flys and also have the original plans. Great with rudder, Elevator, Throttle.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:19 AM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

My first and the first really good R/C car, The Tamiya Rough Rider and Sand Scorcher. Same car different body and tires. They are re-releasing them and I am very tempted to get one. Slow and heavy, but can drive all weather and a blast to drive.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:21 AM
kaiser01

ORIGINAL: cfircav8r

My first and the first really good R/C car, The Tamiya Rough Rider and Sand Scorcher. Same car different body and tires. They are re-releasing them and I am very tempted to get one. Slow and heavy, but can drive all weather and a blast to drive.
those cars are a blast on the beach, the weight really helps them and they seem at home on the sand.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:57 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

The Tamiya Frog has always been my favorit, I started with it a long time ago and just always liked the looks of the car!
Old 05-19-2010, 03:27 PM
willig10

Tamiya Frog was my first car. I loved it when the car went out of range and the throttle went full open. I used to chase mine down the street all the time. Man those were good times. I remember spraying my driveway down with water from the garden hose and doing burnouts until the battery went dead. What a blast that first frog was for me.

Glenn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.