Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

Return of Lunchbox..

Old 06-07-2006, 08:50 AM
hunter306

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Return of Lunchbox..

Sounds good. I'll surely post some pics when I get done.

I feel like I'm selling out painting it Bright Yellow like on the box... But it just looks so cool that way!

-J
Old 06-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: hunter306

Sounds good. I'll surely post some pics when I get done.

I feel like I'm selling out painting it Bright Yellow like on the box... But it just looks so cool that way!

-J

Nah, yellow looks the best!!
Old 06-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Lunchboxer

Looks like the typical bulletproof Lunchbox drivetrain will be tested this time.. Sphere + Neo 1-Star brushless setup ordered.. (as well as the cooling fan + power capacitor kit)

Will put that in the Lunchbox (and maybe the Wild Willy 2!) when it comes in..

1-Star will put out 220W in 7.2V... should be interesting...

Ultimate Lunchbox in the making?!
Old 06-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Lunchboxer

In anticipation of the brushless system, I figured that I need to upgrade the steering on the 'Box too...

Since I run the Futaba S3305 (metal gear / ballbearing / high torque) servo on steering, I decided to put on the Kimbrough servo saver designed for truck / gas car (for use w/ metal geared servo only, as the spring is very stiff inside..)

Also got it for the Willy too.. as Willy has quite a bit of play in the steering system as well..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33043.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	474529  
Old 06-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Lunchboxer

Now there's absolutely no play in the steering.. nice!

But with different servo arm length, I did have to use EPA on the radio to shorten the travel a little bit.. (nice to have a computerized radio nowadays... :P)

Not sure what else to do on the 'Box..

5 oil shocks, carbon fiber chassis brace, metal gear high torque servo, aluminum hex adaptor, ballbearing, and Sphere/Neo 1Star.. (although mostly it will have to share the BL setup with its brothers.. :P)

Name:	Ge96518.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	474532  
Old 06-09-2006, 09:49 AM
woodrowjmoss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's nice to see some other folks that have a thing for Tamiya kits.I have recently spent a bunch of money getting back into the hobby after about 17 years.I picked up a Stadium Blitzer and am in the process of setting it up for the track.I have a ball diff for it and was wondering if someone could tell me the difference between that and the slipper clutch set ups on most kits now.Do they both accomplish the same thing?Has anybody raced a Stadium Blitzer before?I would like to attach some pictures but not sure how.Maybe someone could give me a brief rundown on how to do it.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Lunchboxer

ORIGINAL: woodrowjmoss

It's nice to see some other folks that have a thing for Tamiya kits.I have recently spent a bunch of money getting back into the hobby after about 17 years.I picked up a Stadium Blitzer and am in the process of setting it up for the track.I have a ball diff for it and was wondering if someone could tell me the difference between that and the slipper clutch set ups on most kits now.Do they both accomplish the same thing?Has anybody raced a Stadium Blitzer before?I would like to attach some pictures but not sure how.Maybe someone could give me a brief rundown on how to do it.

Nice.. welcome. . guess we have similar story! I just got back into R/C like 3-4 months ago myself after a 17-18 yrs of being away..

Anyway, the ball diff. can act as a slipper in some way, although it is not what it is desnged for.. but since it is adjustable, you can certainly make it slip a little bit (if you run on very low traction surface..)

Many more race oriented kit would have both the slipper clutch and the ball diff... so they are not mutually exclusive...

To attach a picture, when you are posting, there's a link right near the left side bottom of the window and it says "Click here to upload images and files".. make sure the picture is smaller than 3MB (I think) or the system will kick it out..

Good luck! And have fun with your new truck!! Remember to post a lot of pictures for us!!
Old 06-09-2006, 10:17 AM
woodrowjmoss

Thank you for the great info.I see what your saying about the pictures.I just discovered this website today and was reading this thread.We do have very similar stories.I also have a Wild Willy 2 that I have not put together yet.I always wanted one but never had the funds.Have you ran yours yet?
Old 06-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Lunchboxer

ORIGINAL: woodrowjmoss

Thank you for the great info.I see what your saying about the pictures.I just discovered this website today and was reading this thread.We do have very similar stories.I also have a Wild Willy 2 that I have not put together yet.I always wanted one but never had the funds.Have you ran yours yet?

Yeah, remember to post some pictures!! Willy are the best!

Here's my thread on my Wild Willy 2.. (I actually have one that's been running around and one that's still in the box unassembled.. LOL!! I am retarded!)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_40...tm.htm#4086777

Old 06-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Lunchboxer

Here's a link to my Lunchbox action pictures if you are interested..

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_41...tm.htm#4191425
Old 06-09-2006, 10:47 AM
Lunchboxer

And here's the action photo from the Willy before I put those metal suspension pieces on... Worked just as well..

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_41...tm.htm#4116623
Old 06-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Jarod

I've got an Origional Hornet (from the 80s) but I'm not the "put it on the shelf and look at it" kind, it gets played with, and modified (fixed) on a regular basis, i've got a new 540 open endbell (not the old closed style) stock motor that has been upgraded with ball bearings, and a aluminum battery cover (custom) as well as aluminum rear axle mounts on the way (things that hold the diff to the rest of the chassis, the plastic ones are breaking on mine)

Its cool that tamiya has re-released all the old favorites.

btw: Nice Lunchbox!!!
Old 06-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Lunchboxer

NICE!! The original Hornet was my first ever real R/C!! I am definitely gonna get another one (the re-release!) one of these days.. (I just got too many projects going on right now, LOL!!) I went from 0 R/C to 6 in 3 months, so.... :P

Anyway, what's the aluminum rear axle mounts that you are talking about? Do you mind putting up a link or a picture? (so when I got my Hornet, I can do the same!)

Let's see some pictures too!!
Old 06-09-2006, 05:47 PM
storm_rider1978

Hi, I have a new Lunch box and put on the Tamiya oil shocks as well. But the ones on the front make the truck sit way too low and the body scrapes on the tires when I turn. I put the x-3 spacers in like the instructions said. How did you do yours? Also, do you have a pic of the third shock in the back? Did you use a Tamiya shock for that as well?
Thanks,storm
Old 06-09-2006, 06:05 PM
Lunchboxer

ORIGINAL: storm_rider1978

Hi, I have a new Lunch box and put on the Tamiya oil shocks as well. But the ones on the front make the truck sit way too low and the body scrapes on the tires when I turn. I put the x-3 spacers in like the instructions said. How did you do yours? Also, do you have a pic of the third shock in the back? Did you use a Tamiya shock for that as well?
Thanks,storm

That's weird.. it shouldn't scrape at all.. it would touch slightly when you land a jump or something, but during normal driving / turning, it shouldn't scrape..

I now run the stiffer springs up front.. (although even w/ softer spring, it still won't scrape..)

Yes, I use the super mini oil shock for the 3rd shock conversion on the back.. !

Let me see if I have the pic.. but I am sure I posted it on this forum already..
Old 06-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Lunchboxer

ORIGINAL: storm_rider1978
Also, do you have a pic of the third shock in the back?
Here's a few of them.. I basically got 2 more brackets that's used for the regular mounting of the Lunchbox shocks, and rivited one to the transmission, and one to the chassis (with some carbon fiber plate reinforced..)

Oh, I now only have the shock in there, without the spring.. I thought with the spring it made the rear end too stiff... and basically I just wanted the shock to absorb the shock when you pull the throttle, so it works out nicely..

Good luck!!
Old 06-09-2006, 10:38 PM
hunter306

Got my Lunch Box today.

I have to say that I was pretty impressed by the enitre kit, from unboxing the set, digging through the parts, and assembling with the detailed instructions.

Took all day to put together, on and off, but it is a real testament to anyone who has their doubts about Tamiya kits. I was really impressed, I think its an awesome kit and the fun little thing is awesome to drive.
BEST part about it... I'm having a blast with it and it only cost me 85 dollars for the kit (shipped to my door!).

Check out some pics of the setup! Still need to paint and finish the body, but I had to try it out. =)

Name:	Mk26970.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	475026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64296.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	475027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32352.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	475028  
Old 06-09-2006, 11:28 PM
Lunchboxer

Nice job w/ the build!! Remember to keep us posted w/ pics once you paint it up!!

I think it will handle better if you lower the front a little bit.. (but then, a good handling Lunchbox is an oxymoron anyway.. :P)

Enjoy!!

Oh, where did you get your kit?! That's a pretty good deal!!
Old 06-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Jarod

I'll post some pics of the al. axle mounts when i've got them drilled & tapped.

Maybe I can explain it a bit better too. the rear axle is held on by a small steel shaft found at the front of the diff, that fits into these "mounts" that are held on by 3 screws, 2 underneath the chassis, and one that holds on the side bumper/handle thing. they also have small springs for a "independant" suspension, but mine kept breaking, so i've found some aluminum, and am making new ones without the springs and independant deal. don't know if its a good idea or not, but i'm going to give it a shot.

I'm looking into getting some bearings for my hornet, some that are in the diff, and others on the front wheels, does anyone know what size these are, or how to measure them? tower hobbies sells "duratrax" bearings, but I don't understand their measurements, they have thing like 5x9 & 5/16x3/8x1/8, what do these measurements stand for? IDxODxWidth?
Thanks.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Lunchboxer

ORIGINAL: Jarod

I'll post some pics of the al. axle mounts when i've got them drilled & tapped.

Maybe I can explain it a bit better too. the rear axle is held on by a small steel shaft found at the front of the diff, that fits into these "mounts" that are held on by 3 screws, 2 underneath the chassis, and one that holds on the side bumper/handle thing. they also have small springs for a "independant" suspension, but mine kept breaking, so i've found some aluminum, and am making new ones without the springs and independant deal. don't know if its a good idea or not, but i'm going to give it a shot.

I'm looking into getting some bearings for my hornet, some that are in the diff, and others on the front wheels, does anyone know what size these are, or how to measure them? tower hobbies sells "duratrax" bearings, but I don't understand their measurements, they have thing like 5x9 & 5/16x3/8x1/8, what do these measurements stand for? IDxODxWidth?
Thanks.

Yup, got it.. so you have to custom make them??

I do think that you should make it in aluminum but keep the slot so it has some "independence" (as you call it, although it is a solid axle, so it is not really independent.. :P)

I never had that breaking on my Lunchbox (it uses the same system), but then, I don't bash it that hard!! I do find the little springs break easily so I took them out and put on a 3rd oil shock on the back in place of those 2 springs.. (I got pictures posted above, I think!)

You need 5x11 for the bigger ones (front wheel, majority of the transmission) and a 5x8 (just 1 of them) inside of the transmission..

5 is the inner diameter, 11 and 8 are the outer diameter..

Thickness for those 5x11 are 4mm.. think it is the same for the 5x8 as well...

Hope this helped!
Old 06-13-2006, 01:58 PM
shodog

Great looking lunchbox. It's nice to see someone so enthusiastic about it. This has to be one of my favorite Tamiya Trucks. I have a few of them myself

Lunch Box http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...cid=7253&id=34

Snap-On tools lunch box http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...id=31766&id=34

Midnight Pumpkin http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...id=22927&id=34

Runner Pumpkin http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...cid=8706&id=34

Project pumpkin http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...id=37787&id=34
Old 06-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Lunchboxer

WOW, nice!! Good to see someone who's putting in time to upgrade a 'Box!!

What kind of aluminum wheels are they!? Are they expensive? (Probably are!)

You mentioned aluminum body mount, do you have picture for them? Are they Lunchbox specific or you just custom make them fit to your Lunchbox?!

I definitely don't have your skill on the paint job, etc. Ha ha!! Looks nice (the green Pumpkin!) Nice going!!
Old 06-13-2006, 02:41 PM
shodog

The wheels were purchased from ebay quite some time ago. They were new in bag and they cost me over $100. Aluminum 2.2 inch wheels are a dime a dozen but the correct 2.0 wheels for the lunch box are very hard top find.

The aluminum body mounts were made by a fellow Tamiya Club member of which I can't remember their name. they are almost an exact duplicate of the originals. I realized I need to get some chassis shots of this ride. There are a few club members that are quite handy with their mills.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Lunchboxer

Yeah, I was just wondering because I usually only see 2" wide 2.2" wheel.. while Lunchbox / Pumpkin uses wheel that's like 2.75" wide.. (I do find that 2.4" or so, like those found on the Wild Willy 2 are ideal..)

Yeah, I have no access to mill / lathe nowadays.. when I was in school, I could make all sorts of things... Maybe when I have a garage again, I will invest in a mini mill / lathe combo machine for some light duty machining!!

Yeah, show us some pictures!!
Old 06-14-2006, 06:39 PM
hunter306

Here is my new one, All finished with paint and stickers.

Tragically, the first time out, she ended up on her roof. So now there are some blemishes in the otherwise decent paint =(

Oh well, no fun if you leave it sitting on the shelf!

Name:	Zx71214.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	477650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52191.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	477651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67787.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	477652  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.