As I said on tamiyaforums.com, I'm not sure if this is just dumb luck, pure genius or if anyone has thought of this yet. This vehicle has been out so long it has to have been done before though.
When attempting the 5th shock mod initially I used a CR shock which proved to be too large of diameter and hit the motor and didn't allow free movement of the suspension. I dug around the parts and remembered I have the Grasshopper rear dampers since I switched those out for Hornet dampers on the buggy. Its like Tamiya had this planned from the start because it fits so well.
I notched out the gearcase with a Dremel and sanding drum so I could slid the pivot rod through the bottom of the shock. Seen this done before and saves on parts needed to attach the shock.
Used a Yeah Racing ball end stand off here. A long screw with a nyloc nut on the end holds the whole thing together and keeps the shock from potentially popping off
And put the Yeah Racing oil dampers on. This titanium color set ended up being a good match of the LB Black edition graphics.