Community
Search
Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

Tamiya TB-02 Resource Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tamiya TB-02 Resource Thread

Got a good deal on eBay for the kit for $120 shipped.. (full ballbearing w/ oil shocks, not bad at all!) Built it up last night.. not used to the road car for sure as this is my first one.. very cool.. need to do more work to dial it in, though.. so many adjustments.. (the ball diff front and rear are tricky..) Anyway, it is just running the HPI 20T that I had, and is plenty quick as is.. but eventually, need to put more upgrades on it and go brushless, probably!

Added ballbearing to the steering cranks, Tamiya's front and rear anti-roll bars (medium on the back, soft on the front), have a few more things on order.. carbon fiber center chassis brace, carbon fiber rear brace.. will probably order the aluminum steering crank set and the motor mount.. but for now, it is fun just driving it around and drift it as is.. !!

Need to paint the body tonight.. or tomorrow.. at least cut the body up and mount it on the car to drive around..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84283.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	454652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78576.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	454653  
Old 05-02-2006, 04:19 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First road car - by Lunchboxer..

Ohhhh...yuk...I see yur running the worst esc ever IMO. Good thing yur only running a closed endbell 20t. Don't you dare hook up a good 19t. It will overheat within 5 mins of every run...trust me. I told you not to get that one in the tlt thread! Oh, well. As long as you run that 20t for a while you should be fine.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Lunchboxer

ORIGINAL: ThatsAnEvader!

Ohhhh...yuk...I see yur running the worst esc ever IMO. Good thing yur only running a closed endbell 20t. Don't you dare hook up a good 19t. It will overheat within 5 mins of every run...trust me. I told you not to get that one in the tlt thread! Oh, well. As long as you run that 20t for a while you should be fine.

Ha ha, man, I got it because it is waterproof.. I plan to use it in a Kyosho Blizzard EV.. I am just planning ahead..

So far, it works quite well, though! And it is running cool.. doesn't heat up or anything.. !
Old 05-02-2006, 04:57 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

I thought it was good too...i ran it through puddles, and i ran a 27t without heat, but once I put in a quad mag, it was soooo hot and eventually burnt up. Lucky you...getting a blizzard[8D]
Old 05-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Lunchboxer

I thought it was good too...i ran it through puddles, and i ran a 27t without heat, but once I put in a quad mag, it was soooo hot and eventually burnt up. Lucky you...getting a blizzard[8D]

Good thing that I don't have any hot motors then.. ha ha ha!! I will step up to brushless soon.. I just don't see myself paying for all the maintenance on those high performance motors.. oh well... just gonna suck it up and get a BL system when I feel like it.... argh...

For TXT-1, though, I am gonna stick w/ brushed motors for the lower speed control / crawling ability...
Old 05-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Lunchboxer

Cut out the body.. need to paint it tonight....

Name:	Vt57683.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	454797  
Old 05-02-2006, 07:15 PM
EvaderMaster

Looks good, I can't wait to see it painted. (geta cool paint job).
Old 05-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Lunchboxer

ORIGINAL: EvaderMaster

Looks good, I can't wait to see it painted. (geta cool paint job).

Thanks! I am not much of an artist, unfortunately. So we will see.. :P
Old 05-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Dokioto

Looks nice, run it yet let see some action pics? See you still sticking to Tamiya.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Lunchboxer

ORIGINAL: Dokioto

Looks nice, run it yet let see some action pics? See you still sticking to Tamiya.

Sure, ran it a few times already.. had to adjust the ball diffs at the first run, as I had it too loose before. I adjusted to so it just barely stops slipping (that when you turn hold one wheel and turn the other, it would drive the drive shaft / the motor)

It acts almost like as a slipper clutch.. that when I gun it, there's no wheel spins, it just rockets away.. feel very different from my other trucks...

More preload on the back, as well as a stiffer anti-roll bar.. make it more oversteer than understeer.. might not be the best way around race track (or might be.. as the turning radius is pretty large) but it is more entertaining.. drive it like a rally car (use quick left right to unload the wheel to initiate the slide.. and power it out to continue the slide) is fun.. I am wondering how long those tires would last though..

1/2 way done w/ the paint job.. will post pic once it is done!
Old 05-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Lunchboxer

Oh yeah, sticking w/ Tamiya.. I grew up with Tamiya, so I am keeping it in the family for now.. LOL! But there are a bunch of stuff from other brands that I would consider.. the Kyosho Blizzard EV is pretty interesting.. (when winter hits, I will get one.. :P) The Losi LST-2 seems to be pretty cool..

But yeah, overall, I like Tamiya.. I think they have more characters.. instead of just something fast....
Old 05-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Lunchboxer

Neon yellow front and roof with metallic silver hood and rear section...

Name:	Om34077.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	455044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50757.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	455045  
Old 05-03-2006, 01:28 AM
purple_car

Nice build, and nice to see someone expanding their rc collection and trying out many different styles. I enjoy reading your posts and following your collection, and I love all the good mods you're doing on your cars. Keep it up so I have interesting reading material.

James
Old 05-03-2006, 01:37 AM
Lunchboxer

ORIGINAL: purple_car

Nice build, and nice to see someone expanding their rc collection and trying out many different styles. I enjoy reading your posts and following your collection, and I love all the good mods you're doing on your cars. Keep it up so I have interesting reading material.

James

Thanks James... ! Yeah, first road car for me.. so it was pretty interesting.. and it is nice to be able to drive on pavement full tilt without worrying about flipping over..

It is pretty fast as is.. (but then, I am used to slow trucks.. :P) But I will probably upgrade the motor mount and then eventually put in one of them Sphere/Neo BL setup just for kick.. (maybe a 1-Star.. so I can use it on my truck as well..)

Yeah, R/C is just a way for me to keep in touch with the engineer inside of me.. ha ha!! Since I don't work in the engineering field anymore.. this will have to do..

Name:	Ig13470.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	455074  
Old 05-03-2006, 02:23 AM
bIGmiK

Get some deans plugs, and also some decent SxS packs, and hard wire your motor.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:27 AM
Lunchboxer

ORIGINAL: bIGmiK

Get some deans plugs, and also some decent SxS packs, and hard wire your motor.

Yeah, I got a bunch of Dean's plugs.. just haven't got my lazy butt to put them on... I will probably use Dean's plugs to go between the ESC and the motor, so I can change them out easily in the future...

Yeah, I don't have any expensive battery.. I got 2 GP3300 from Orion.. and 2 1900mAh Piranha.. they are alright.. will stick with them for now.. !
Old 05-03-2006, 02:29 AM
bIGmiK

Honestly, I would hardwire to your motor, it takes no time to re-solder a motor on.

As for the packs, although this is really not what many people do in RC, keep an eye out on ebay for matched packs. What I do, is find a person selling packs that they say are in good condition, then check what else for sale they have, when they have 2 rc's, chargers, radios and a whole nuch of stuff, I presume they are getting out of RC, their batts are normally still good.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:32 AM
Lunchboxer

Honestly, I would hardwire to your motor, it takes no time to re-solder a motor on.

As for the packs, although this is really not what many people do in RC, keep an eye out on ebay for matched packs. What I do, is find a person selling packs that they say are in good condition, then check what else for sale they have, when they have 2 rc's, chargers, radios and a whole nuch of stuff, I presume they are getting out of RC, their batts are normally still good.

Does mathced packs make such a big difference?! I guess I got to try to see if it worth the $$$!

(esp. for someone like me who do not race at all, more just driving around... !)
Old 05-03-2006, 04:35 AM
bIGmiK

Don't get matched unless you race, or you like braggin.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Lunchboxer

Don't get matched unless you race, or you like braggin.

Ha ha, in that case, I will save up the $$$ for something else then..

Nah, I am too old to brag.......
Old 05-03-2006, 02:58 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

OooOOooOOo....me likey. I have a fancy for skylines[8D]
Old 05-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Lunchboxer

OooOOooOOo....me likey. I have a fancy for skylines[8D]

Yeah, they are awesome car in real life! Should be coming to US next year! (as an Infiniti, probably!)
Old 05-03-2006, 04:47 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

Ya, but they just had to update the body design...I hate the 06 version, but the 04 is hott!
Old 05-03-2006, 08:12 PM
fugaziiv

actually, it was just broken down in one of the rags (i'll have to look to see which one....) but there was no dectable difference in a wire that has been soldered, or one that uses deans. I'm sure there has to be some, but i really don't think that using deans to connect a motor is a bad idea...
Old 05-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Lunchboxer

ORIGINAL: fugaziiv

actually, it was just broken down in one of the rags (i'll have to look to see which one....) but there was no dectable difference in a wire that has been soldered, or one that uses deans. I'm sure there has to be some, but i really don't think that using deans to connect a motor is a bad idea...

That's why it is called a "lossless" connection!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.