Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

HOTSHOT RE-RELEASE BUILD!

Old 12-11-2010, 08:46 AM
gulfstreamI

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: HOTSHOT RE-RELEASE BUILD!

Tamiya's inexperience in building it's first 4WD off road r/c car meant that this classic was built in layers. What I mean is you have to build it in sequence. A change of the receiver crystal in the buggy meant that you have to remove a lot of screws just to access it. Overall, it will take you at least a good 8 hours for you to finish, detail and run this kit.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:51 AM
ElectricGuy007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hELLO hotshot fans...Im starting to become a fan after reading this thread...
Did the Boomerang come out before the hotshot...and which car is better...??
Old 01-25-2011, 11:07 AM
gulfstreamI

ORIGINAL: ElectricGuy007

The Boomerang came out after the Hotshot, It represents Tamiya's continuing development of it's Four wheel drive off road vehicles back in the mid 1980's. For ease of maintenance, I would choose the Boomerang. That buggy was a simplified version of the Hotshot. The Hotshot IMHO, has a more scale off road vehicle look based on the the Fast Attack vehicle and Wild One 2WD buggies. The original Hotshot was simply "over engineeered". The current re -release version is slightly different compared to the original. It also duplicates the problems associated with the original: The annoying "bump steering" and the "need to upgrade later" mono shock system.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Lunchboxer

Nah, no need to "upgrade", or it wouldn't be a HotShot anymore..

That's what makes it a HotShot, them crazy suspension setup...
Old 01-27-2011, 05:48 PM
gulfstreamI

L=O-L... With that said .... if all r/c enthusiasts shared the same thought- that would put the aftermarket companies out of business.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:30 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: gulfstreamI

The Boomerang came out after the Hotshot, It represents Tamiya's continuing development of it's Four wheel drive off road vehicles back in the mid 1980's. For ease of maintenance, I would choose the Boomerang. That buggy was a simplified version of the Hotshot. The Hotshot IMHO, has a more scale off road vehicle look based on the the Fast Attack vehicle and Wild One 2WD buggies. The original Hotshot was simply ''over engineeered''. The current re -release version is slightly different compared to the original. It also duplicates the problems associated with the original: The annoying ''bump steering'' and the ''need to upgrade later'' mono shock system.
I have thought about what you said and I'll get a Boomerang instead of the Hotshot.
I think the Hotshot body looks good, whereas the boomerang body is all standard buggy looking.
I guess it's possible to put a hotshot shell on a boomerang isnt it?
Old 02-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Lunchboxer

I think it is all good and fun to upgrade and tinker with RC.. no doubt about that.. all I was saying is that for a HotShot, I don't see the point of "upgrading" it, as you don't buy a HotShot re-re because you are after the performance. (get a modern 4WD buggy if you want that) So for me, so this is totally based on my personal opinion, is that if I am getting the HotShot, I just want to build and run this Tamiya legend.. to re-live the childhood, etc. All that kind of stuff.. as opposed to worry about how the suspension isn't the best, etc. That's the part that made HotShot unique.. !!

We will remember HotShot because of that funky suspension setup.. for stuff like TRF501.. the all out performance machine.. they get replaced with newer version every year.. they are less memorable.. !

L=O-L... With that said .... if all r/c enthusiasts shared the same thought- that would put the aftermarket companies out of business.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:06 AM
theibault

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LB, I am so with you on that. When it comes to re-re's, I want the legend. I'm not trying to win the Worlds with a 20yo car. LOL
Old 02-03-2011, 01:32 PM
gulfstreamI

I have thought about what you said and I'll get a Boomerang instead of the Hotshot.
I think the Hotshot body looks good, whereas the boomerang body is all standard buggy looking.
I guess it's possible to put a hotshot shell on a boomerang isnt it?
It's possible only if you have the patience to "trim" certain parts of the Hot Shot roll cage and custom mount certain parts on a Boomerang chassis to make a "Hot- Boomer" buggy. Right out of the box I you can't make them fit.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Lunchboxer

Although I try to create confusion sometimes.. here's my modern buggy (J82) w/ Hornet paint job.. hee.. (yes, you can win races with this one.. !)

ORIGINAL: theibault

LB, I am so with you on that. When it comes to re-re's, I want the legend. I'm not trying to win the Worlds with a 20yo car. LOL
Old 02-04-2011, 01:05 PM
ElectricGuy007

It's possible only if you have the patience to ''trim'' certain parts of the Hot Shot roll cage and custom mount certain parts on a Boomerang chassis to make a ''Hot- Boomer'' buggy. Right out of the box I know you can't make them fit.
I see..well when I get my frog and boomerang I might build them one right after the other.
And post pictures in thier respective threads of course...
The frog will be better for me since you get like 2-3 different pinion gears with it.
Same thing with the boomerang, it comes with a couple pinons as well..
Old 11-20-2011, 01:42 PM
ShoestringRacer

new from Tamiya:

84265 Hotshot (2007) Metallic Special

finally...Gold Wheels!

http://www.tamiya.com/japan/products...2007/index.htm

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48897.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1689077  
Old 11-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Lunchboxer

Yeah, they also just announced the Super Hotshot (Super Shot re-re but renamed to Super Hotshot..)!
Old 11-22-2011, 11:57 AM
ShoestringRacer

Yeah I had posted that re-release over in the other electric car forum before this...I guess it should have been in this classic forum...(btw, why does Tamiya do funny name changes with some re-re's!? )

I hope the gold wheels will be available separately!
Old 11-05-2016, 01:35 PM
howaboutme

Resurrecting this thread! Anyone still around?

New here and returning to the hobby from a ~30 year hiatus. Back then my one and only was a HS2. Couldn't wait to see if they will re-re the HS2 so pulled the trigger recently on the HS. Hoping to receive it next week. But since I am coming into the hobby from scratch (parents threw away the HS2 a few years back as it had been in their garage..boo) I have to get everything else so things will go slow and much research is needed. Hoping to hear how the HS is doing the last few years! Thanks.