Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

Tyco Fast Traxx

Old 12-01-2009, 03:12 PM
devast8r
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tyco Fast Traxx

Ebay that's about it anymore.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:04 PM
guys2nv

I def. owned a fast traxx when i was a kid-i took it to school in 4-5th grade and ran it at recess on the baseball fields and got water in the motor and fryed it-ive had nikko's to and radio shack junk to-my 1st real rc was a tamiya blitzer beetle i put together right-wow i still remember that-man im gettin old. my babysitters olderson and dad had a blackfoot,lunchbox,clodbuster(red one) and a still in the wrapper gold pan rc10.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:05 PM
guys2nv

ive also wondered if u can put the modern brushless sytems in these-will prob fry the plastic gears but should be fun-lol
Old 12-01-2009, 06:26 PM
mbz300sdl

Glad to see a thread i started over a year ago is still read and loved lol
Old 12-01-2009, 06:47 PM
timewizard26

I can not believe that people are still talking about this car. I've wanted this car back in the day when I was around 13 and I ended up getting one by that age. After playing with it for a while, I ended up breaking it haha It was the Super Fast Traxx.

Luckily after it broke, I ended up getting another one.

I'm currently trying to sell it. It's working. I'm 22 so do the math of the damage done to it over the years haha If anyone's interested, please let me know! I was about to list this to ebay but I literally just signed up here since this topic is up to date.

I'll not post this up on ebay for 12 days or so to hear offers from people here. I'm not sure if I'm going against any rules but hey, I can't help it. People want things. I'm just cutting out the middle man to save time.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:24 PM
ChevyNovaLN

Haha. i'm glad i found this. Its funny how many people have had and want this car today. I bought, on Ebay, a brand new in the box Green (49mhz) Fast TraxxCar identical to what I had when I was littleabout 5 years ago for $60. I had one when I was a kid and did all kinds of stupid stuff with it, including driving it through puddles over the top where all you could see was the antenna/flag above the water telling you which direction it was facing. Great stuff. The most water proof off the shelf RCcar I ever had.

So, 5 years ago, I opened it... charged the battery and ran it all around the apartment we were in, and then having had my nostalgic fix...parked it. Fast forward 5 years later and i'm getting into more hobby RCstuff (Helis and planes, all electric) and I thought to myself, hmm... I hated those 9.6v Turbo batteries and the charge times required. I always had the standard 4-hour 'quick' charger that came with the batteries (i've got 3, 2 good.... one bad). So I had a thought the other day when I saw it on the shelf. Why deal with the 9.6v old batteries that weigh a ton. I was on Rcgroups (dont hate me) and started asking questions about the LiPo batteries and after some learning/discussion I was determined to use one of my tiny little 800mah Lipos that I had for my E-Flight Blade CX2. I took my dead 9.6v battery and cut the wires about halfway between the battery and the plug that goes into the car and soldered on the proper end of a Deans connector. I put that tiny little 2S 7.4v 800mah battery in the battery tray (could fit 2-3 more in there its so small in comparison) and ran it yesterday for about 6 minconstantly around the basement in low gear trying to use up the battery as quick as I could stopping short of running the Lipo cells too low... I plugged the battery into my balance charger and I still have 3.7v per cell. Needless to say, I'm going to do some measurements when I get home from work (yep, working hard today!)and see what size 2S battery I can fit. maybe a 1300mah or so. Length is the concern. I bet I could run the Fast Traxx for 30+ min, provided the motors dont get too hot. So anyway, long story short, 2S 7.4v Lipo batteries work fine

I love having this thing running again and.. being new, the treads are still black and dont fall off. Thats what made me give up my old one when I was little... the treads were shot... they were turned grey, nubs on the treads were wore off and they kept falling off every time i did something remotely stupid like... turn. I ended up pulling all 4 wheels off and putting monster truck wheels on it... that unfortunately stripped the low gear but damn was it fast in high gear with those much larger wheels. No idea where it went over the last 15 years.

I still have the Richochet also, we only ran it about 6 times... and then my brother got it wet (got it for x-mas and it was NOTmeant for snow). He was sad and moved on but I was diligent and opened it up, dried it all out and sure enough, it was like new again. Mine now I haven't ran it since, cuz I had the fast traxx....

Brian / ChevyNovaLN
Old 12-30-2009, 06:44 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

actually I just put my fast trax into a storage container 6 months ago, to make way for the hobby grade RC's, it was still in fairly good shape with the original threads.
Other things that joined it the Tyco truck that shot 5 darts, the one that shot water, 2 of the Tyco Lamborghini's (think I fried em) from the late 80's early 90's, a bandit in almost new shape with the extra 2 battery compartment, and a few others. Yes I had lots of Tyco RC's when I was age 10-15 or so .

If I knew about the hobby grade ones I would have probably started back then.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:32 PM
dudecat

Yep i had a couple of older tyco's and they took a beating. Lost more remotes and broke wheels off them. Nikko was really good brand back in the day. Example is the old 1984 baja champion nikko i own that i am converting over to crystals and reciever. It has plastic gears but they are really tuff gears. Plus 4x4 diffs were metal too. Only problem is it doesn't have any suspension at all. But heck that truck would go where i put it in 4x4 though. I bought it at a flea market for $5 with remote back in the day.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:37 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

sheesh
I remember my Lamborghini I crashed pretty good and shattered the whole front bumper into little pieces. I made a replacement out of a piece of sheet metal when I was 15 (glad I had sheet metal shop class) It lasted me another year or two till I shattered its steering knuckle on a bump. It lasted around 5-6 years so I think I got my use out of it. The Nikko's I had I totaled in under a year just don't remember how(guessing water)

Just remembered the only issue I had with the fast traxx was I smashed the battery cover off and had to duct tape batteries in
Old 12-30-2009, 10:55 PM
ChevyNovaLN

The Fast Traxx I had when I was a kid had that problem too. One of the 2 pins that made up the hinge would break off... and then the battery would flop out sometimes. Duct Tape sucked, but it worked. I love seeing my current Fast Traxx all shiney and new haha.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:05 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

actually the hinge is probably why I still have the original threads on mine. I got sick of duct taping it up and having to clean the glue off every 5-6 runs and just stopped using it after I'm guessing 2 months. If I remember right my fast traxx's shell wasn't even that scratched up vs. some of my other Tyco RC's some of which I almost destroyed.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:42 PM
hispeedguy

Hi, new to this forum and getting back into RChobby. Ihave recently bought 2 Taxxas Stampede's. Having a blast upgrading and running them with my girlfriends son. He is hooked for sure.
Anyway, I have a Tyco turbo Bandit (red) that Ijust recently found in a box-O-crap in my garage. It is in decent shape except both rear tires are completely dry rotted. One just crumbled into pieces :-(
Does anyone know where I can get replacement tires? they are 72.00-44-43 according to the sidwalls. Front tires are OK. Ihad to epoxy both front shock towers back on since they both were busted at the frame. Besides being scratched up and missing the front bumper and decals, it is all there and seems to run good. Battery charged right up. Ibought this back in 1990 (Ithink) and ran the crap out of it. My brother had a one too (black), we had a sweet hillclimb in the dirt near his house plus an oval track in the driveway.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Jim
Old 05-20-2010, 08:29 AM
n8dogg455

PRETTY FUNNY

I actually just pulled out my original Fast Traxx (Truck Version) out of the closet to Sell it at our Yard Sale, as i was trying to figure out how to price it, and stumbled about this post. Defiantely brings back some memories.

Looks like maybe i should be listing it on Ebay as maybe there are some people out there who still like them, not giving it away at a yad sale ....

They were so much fun back in the day !!
And a Brushless motor on this thing would be hilarious, as it weighs only around a pound.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:37 PM
mstana

Hey n8dogg455 id like to buy if off you if you give me the chance.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:41 AM
djyjrlz

how about this as a deal?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/remote-contol-...item439f7c6049
Old 06-01-2010, 10:25 AM
jjlb333

Ihad a Fast Traxx back in the day. These things were awesome. I love the old Tyco stuff. I am a pioneer and Ive created the first website that is dedicated to all the old Tyco, Nikko, Radio Shack, Monogram, Azrak-Hamway, Yonezawa rc cars, buggies and trucks.Vintage Tamiya and Kyosho is trendy, but the old non hobby grade stuff is fun. Especially now that you can use Tamiya Tam Tech hop ups in them. Can you imagine a Tyco Turbo hopper doing 30mph? lol. It would take a lot of modification but it can be done!
If you love the old RC stuff, be sure to stop by www.HobbyReview.net, a site dedicated to vintage RC models, along with the first Vintage RC price guide!
Old 06-10-2010, 06:49 AM
n8dogg455

ORIGINAL: mstana

Hey n8dogg455 id like to buy if off you if you give me the chance.
sorry i missed your post
it is up on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

Old 12-07-2010, 11:50 PM
malice23

I just had to stop in here one more time....Unfortunately I never got to do any of those upgrades and Im regretting it now..In only 2 years the prices on these tycos has dropped trmendously on ebay. They were going for like 3-400 and now they like 45 -100 depending on the condition. Amazing how when things are in demand they are so expensive lol.

I since got into serious racing and had to make room for serious racers but occasioanlly I feel the need to just bash around with an old car. I have none ofthose left. []

So has anyone tried the brushless thing in the traxx yet? I BET these days if u tame the settings on the esc and start with a soft trigger to get her moving u wont strip gears...and if u do, theres gotta be a way to fix them...how complicated can those things be?! lol
Old 12-10-2010, 01:05 AM
diabolic-mind

i just got a yellow fast traxx off craigslist on trade. it didnt come with a battery or charger but the guy promised it worked. time will tell if he was being honest. im currently looking for a 9.6volt battery for it with a ridiculously high mah. sofar all ive stumbled upon are 800mah batteries. i was hoping for something around 4000mah. its in pretty good condition too. when did these start selling? i know there older but not sure exactly how old. i recently got into the rc tanks hobby and thought this would be a fun toy to play with. cant wait to try it out for the first time. i had friends with these when i was younger but never got to try one out.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:40 PM
malice23

ORIGINAL: diabolic-mind

i just got a yellow fast traxx off craigslist on trade. it didnt come with a battery or charger but the guy promised it worked. time will tell if he was being honest. im currently looking for a 9.6volt battery for it with a ridiculously high mah. sofar all ive stumbled upon are 800mah batteries. i was hoping for something around 4000mah. its in pretty good condition too. when did these start selling? i know there older but not sure exactly how old. i recently got into the rc tanks hobby and thought this would be a fun toy to play with. cant wait to try it out for the first time. i had friends with these when i was younger but never got to try one out.
You can use NIMH batteries with them. I ran some venom packs in there and they worked just fine with long run times.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:38 AM
diabolic-mind

i ended up getting a fastlane rc 9.6volt 800mah battery pack for it. i also have a onyx 200 peak charger and it charges the battery in about 15 minutes. 15 minute charge time isnt to bad considering i got around 10 minutes of run time out of it. its deffinately alot of fun to drive around. theres snow on the ground here now and on the low setting it plows right through snow. im considering adding road wheels between the from and rear wheels to give it better traction, i noticed that the tracks dont sit completely flush on the ground while its running and theres a fair amount of slack in them. still a great toy for what i got it for.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:31 PM
VintageTyco
Banned

Super Fast Traxx for sale on eBay if anyone is interested: http://cgi.ebay.com/Tyco-Super-Fast-Traxx-BRAND-NEW-Track-Vintage-Classic-/330516091679?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item4c f44b531f Item number: 330516091679
Old 01-27-2011, 06:48 PM
casemods

I have this slot fast traxx next to me

I lost the green one years ago.

I don't even know how this one is still here

The shock is broke, spoiler bent, pin lost, windshield is gone too and the rims have scratches

I wanted to get the green one for nostalgia and because I luuuuv green but they want $30 for it online.

I remember making the tracks for it all day everyday.

It was so fun.

I even remember when I got it for c-mas

I also had the normal cars (one was blue and long and the other was blue and orange)
Old 06-24-2013, 12:35 PM
FastTraxxGuy

Please excuse my thread necromancy, but I figured this was as good a thread as any to ask my questions.

Background Info: I'm currently deployed in the Middle East and will be here until winter. I still have my original Fast Traxx at home from Christmas '91 or '92, and although I haven't played with it in decades, I know it still works. Since my experience with that car back in its prime, I've had 0 RC experience of any kind. I'm vaguely familiar with the basics ofradio and electronic fundamentals, but I'm far from an expert on either of those topics. In my current situation,I've got lots of free time and24/7 access to internet, but it's the government version of the internet, so random sites are blocked. For some reason forums are accessible, but no YouTube or Photobucket, so I see a lot of blank images or nonfunctional YouTube links on the forums I go to.

As a result of the combination of gratuitous amounts of caffeine and boredom, I have decided I want to construct a hobby-grade Fast Traxx. I want it to use original wheels, treads, and body (either 9.6v or 7.2v version) and I want it to be electric. That's all I have for requirements.

I'm such a noob to the RC world that I'm having trouble starting research because I don't even know how to begin this project. I do have some sheet metal experience, and could possibly even fab up an entire chassis on my own, if not at least most of one. So I'm looking for opinions and advice from people with experience about what would likely be the best way to start this project.

Should I create a chassis from scratch, or would it be better to buy one and attach the body to it?

What should I be looking for in electric motors? I would imagine I'll need two, one for each side, so it can actually turn. I tried looking at motors on this site: http://www.castlecreations.com/products/products_drive.htmlbut it's all unicorns and fairy dust to me. I don't even know if that's a respectable manufacturer. I ended up there because I inadvertently discovered the Traxxas XO-1 while searching for Fast Traxx stuff, so then I looked up the motor manufacturer for the XO-1.

Obviously this is going to require a great deal of custom work, probably some fabrication, and I'll probably run into many unforeseen problems, headaches, and expenses. I'm fine with all of that. What are some of the issues that stick out with a project like this? The dual electric motors seems like it might be kind of weird, especially when trying to work a functional suspension system into the mix. I know a lot of people are into RC tanks though, so maybe this actually isn't that unheard of.

I don't know. I basically just need to be pointed in the right direction, and I should be able to go from there. My ignorance makes getting started really overwhelming.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:10 PM
FastTraxxGuy

Oh, and another requirement is for it to be able to control the speed. It's not hard to peel even new treads off these cars from the factory, so anymore speed and it will be a tread slinging fest. So it needs to be able to slow down for turns.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.