Community
Search
Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

Monster Beetle Gears Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Flawed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster Beetle Gears Upgrade

OK guys,

I've been getting my MB together and have purchased many upgrades to date. Now I'm starting to consider the running of it and in particular the gears, motor and esc. I have a motor and esc combo in mind but when it comes to upgrading the gears on a MB I really have no idea where to start!

Can anyone please explain to me (in idiot terms) what exactly would want changing and why &Is there a limit to how powerful a motor I can put in it?

Many thanks
Old 06-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Blkft1

Default RE: Monster Beetle Gears Upgrade

The stock gearbox is'nt too bad its the hex style dogbones [driveshafts] that need improvement.See if you can find the Tamiya CVD replacements [link below] for the re-release Frog,they'll work.Also try to find some 3mm shims to tighten up the gearbox,get rid of any slop,you may have to search other Tamiya cars for the shims [small washers].

If you can still find them try to locate a complete Thorp drive system which replaces all the gears to the axles and hub's.They use dogbones or telescopic drive axles [uses Traxxas sliders],telescopic is the better of the two.I had a set in my Blackfoot that lasted for years although I only ran a 19T and higher motor on 7 cells,also look for a CRP adjustable motor mount to run a lower pinion gear.

For the Thorp set up and CRP motor mount check Evil-bay [$$$] or dig thru the junk box's at your LHS,if you have a really old mom & pop LHS around you might get lucky.If your not going to run anything more than a good quality open endbell 27T motor just get the Tamiya CVD's.I'd get a decent set of full bearings too,you'd be suprised at the difference they make.

Tamiya hop up driveshafts,these'll work in your Monster Beetle too.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNKY5&P=Z

A 19T motor on 6 cells will give you plenty of scoot without working over the truck too bad,then again a 27t will be just fine too for fun.I've had excellent results using the AE AI runner esc's in older Tamiya trucks running 27T's.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:49 AM
Flawed

ORIGINAL: Blkft1

The stock gearbox is'nt too bad its the hex style dogbones [driveshafts] that need improvement.See if you can find the Tamiya CVD replacements [link below] for the re-release Frog,they'll work.Also try to find some 3mm shims to tighten up the gearbox,get rid of any slop,you may have to search other Tamiya cars for the shims [small washers].

If you can still find them try to locate a complete Thorp drive system which replaces all the gears to the axles and hub's.They use dogbones or telescopic drive axles [uses Traxxas sliders],telescopic is the better of the two.I had a set in my Blackfoot that lasted for years although I only ran a 19T and higher motor on 7 cells,also look for a CRP adjustable motor mount to run a lower pinion gear.

For the Thorp set up and CRP motor mount check Evil-bay [$$$] or dig thru the junk box's at your LHS,if you have a really old mom & pop LHS around you might get lucky.If your not going to run anything more than a good quality open endbell 27T motor just get the Tamiya CVD's.I'd get a decent set of full bearings too,you'd be suprised at the difference they make.

Tamiya hop up driveshafts,these'll work in your Monster Beetle too.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNKY5&P=Z

A 19T motor on 6 cells will give you plenty of scoot without working over the truck too bad,then again a 27t will be just fine too for fun.I've had excellent results using the AE AI runner esc's in older Tamiya trucks running 27T's.
OK, firstly Blkft1 thanks for getting back.

So, ok I'm trying to get my head around this... I did mention I was an idiot didn't I? At the moment I have a 23T motor and an esc that couldnt handle above 20T. I've been looking at the Mtroniks G2 Pro ESC with 10.5 Turn Motor ( http://www.fusionhobbies.com/Mtronik...-p/mg2c105.htm). The less powerful motor with that esc is 16.5T and the more powerful motor is 4.5T. Would all of these motors be too powerful for my current setup?

I've just purchased some aluminium front arms and will be purchasing the rears to match soon. ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT).

And I have found from your suggestions... the Universal Shaft Assembly on the bay ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT). So this would definitely fit the MB? (I know its the same chassis, so just checking).

Also the adjustable motor mount... from CRP. ( http://www.rcchopshop.com/crp/2107.html). I can't findthis on the bay unfortunately butI don't really understand how this works. And if I was to buy a more powerful motor do I have to match the pinion to that motor (ie. a 10.5T motor needing a 10T pinion) or does it not work like that?

And with regards to the Thorpe Drive System, I have to say you've completely lost me. If I was to buy the Universal drive assembly (which I think I will anyway) plus the aluminium rear arms, would that in itself increase my performance? And if I was to buy a different pinion and the adjustable motor mount would that again increase my performance?

Like I said I don't really understand the pinion side of things and the adjustable motor mount, I don't see how it works.

If you feel like replying again to this idiot, it would be appreciated.

Flawed

Old 06-23-2010, 07:02 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the stock gearbox is a weak point as well as the hex drive shafts.

the diff will spread apart under load with a big motor.

there's a thread on tamiyaclub about a diff mod that involves tapping and threading the side diff gears to hold it together.

even a 19t double will make the diff spread.

with a stock diff i don't recommend anything hotter than a tamiya sport tuned motor.

you can find the adj motor mount on ebay, it's a newer design made by CRA.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Flawed

OK, I need to simplify this because most of what you are talking about means absolutely nothing to me!

If I put on:

alum. rear arms http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

universal drive shafts http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

& a TAMIYA RC Super Stock BZ Motor Off Road 53930 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Would I need to do anything to the gears or anything else to run this setup?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:30 AM
kaiser01

you'll be fine.

my response was in regards to the 10.5 motor you were talking about.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:33 AM
Flawed

Ah gotcha. Thanks. I'm trying to learn as much as I can but the gear side of things blows my mind I'm afraid. Give me quantum physics anyday of the week!
Old 06-23-2010, 10:05 AM
kaiser01

ORIGINAL: Flawed

Ah gotcha. Thanks. I'm trying to learn as much as I can but the gear side of things blows my mind I'm afraid. Give me quantum physics anyday of the week!
have you been on tamiyaclub.com ?

it's a great site, especially for you as most of the members are from the uk. they have lots of meets/get togethers too.

they are THE AUTHORITY on all things tamiya.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Blkft1

Hey Flawed,nobody's an idiot on this hobby forum [unless your a troll]. The CRP adjustable mount has two plates,one bolts to your motor the other bolts to the trans then they both bolt together with a slider bolt that you loosen up to adjust,confused yet,,,I AMMM!!!Once you get one you'll see how it falls together,plus dropping a tooth or two give's ya better low end grunt where ya need it.

Those aluminum arms are really cool but if it was me? I'd invest in the decent 27T motor/esc combo your after,bearings,Frog CVD set from Tamiya [it'll fit],decent set of oil shocks [Traxxas' work great] and rims and tires.After that go out and BASH!!Speaking of rims HPI I believe still makes thier Universal Monster truck rims,they will give a little wider stance up front plus look cool.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXM870&P=SM
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXM874&P=SM

I ran a 19T/7 cell but had the full Thorp set [I'm guessing thier pretty rare now] with a CRP adj motor mount.Pretty durable but with the xtra speed and torque everything else did'nt fare too well.The only stock parts left on my Blackfoot were the frame,rear arms and gearbox cover itself and some misc hardware.

And Tamiyaclub is a cool site!

Old 06-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Flawed

ORIGINAL: Blkft1

Hey Flawed,nobody's an idiot on this hobby forum [unless your a troll]. The CRP adjustable mount has two plates,one bolts to your motor the other bolts to the trans then they both bolt together with a slider bolt that you loosen up to adjust,confused yet,,,I AMMM!!!Once you get one you'll see how it falls together,plus dropping a tooth or two give's ya better low end grunt where ya need it.

Those aluminum arms are really cool but if it was me? I'd invest in the decent 27T motor/esc combo your after,bearings,Frog CVD set from Tamiya [it'll fit],decent set of oil shocks [Traxxas' work great] and rims and tires.After that go out and BASH!!Speaking of rims HPI I believe still makes thier Universal Monster truck rims,they will give a little wider stance up front plus look cool.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXM870&P=SM
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXM874&P=SM

I ran a 19T/7 cell but had the full Thorp set [I'm guessing thier pretty rare now] with a CRP adj motor mount.Pretty durable but with the xtra speed and torque everything else did'nt fare too well.The only stock parts left on my Blackfoot were the frame,rear arms and gearbox cover itself and some misc hardware.

And Tamiyaclub is a cool site!

Yeah Kaizer, I've joined TamiyaClub, and been taking a look around just.

Blkft1 - I'm gonna go for the motor / esc upgrade, the universal drive shafts, and the rear arms to match the front I already have. I've just got some new shocks and new tyres & rims (check my gallery - there in there - although those shocks in my pics are my old ones). Regarding the bearings, I've added new bearings to the front wheels, where else do they need to be? Inside the dreaded evil gears? lol
Old 06-23-2010, 02:09 PM
kaiser01

yes in that dreaded gearbox.

have you taken that apart yet? oh that's a joy for sure, get your third hand ready. lol
Old 06-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Flawed

oh boy! I just knew that was the answer before it came. I'd rather have a leg off quite frankly, than open that box of evil tricks. But, in addition to the bits and pieces I'm ordering over the next week or so, I'm also gonna get a grey chassis and rebuild my beetle around that rather than the red one. So, when I disassemble it from its current condition I might as well do the job properly and take everything apart.

On a side note, is it worth getting a high torque servo for the steering or not?

&

While I'm inside that box of evil, should I replace anything in there just for the hell of it?
Old 06-23-2010, 02:39 PM
kaiser01

it's rally not that bad, i've seen much worse. but it is a little tricky the first time.

new bearings, lithium or ceramic grease (the white stuff), check the gears for wear.

i did the same thing with the grey chassis, it looks great!

if my photodump didn't just take a dump i'd show it to you. lol

a high torque servo will help alot. i like the hitec 645mg. (needs a special servo saver though, made by kimbrough)
Old 06-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Flawed

OK, I've decided to do it. I just need to find my miners hat complete with lamp and I'm ready to limber up and jump in.

When I start, I'll probably be back on here, and through my tearsasking for your help again!
Old 06-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Blkft1

The gearbox is'nt really that bad,not easy like a Stealth but not bad.I've opened up a few Bruiser/Blazin Blazers in the past,they were'nt too bad either.For the gearbox if I remember you should just need two 5X11's and two 4X8mm,not sure what the aluminum trailer arms use I'm guessing you'll need four more 5X11mm's [2 per side].Full bearings really wake up these vintage Tamiya's.
I sold my Blackfoot with every hop up known to man last year on Craigslist,felt like I was giving a family member away.It was one of my first and favorite trucks,,,hence my name blkft1 [8D].All I have left are my L-box and M-pumpkin Tamiya trucks [plus other's],pic's are on my Rcgroups forum [same name-blkft1],need to put them here also.

BTW,,,That is one of the SWEETEST looking MB's and those aluminum arms will really look COOOLLLL!!!
Have fun bashing!!
Old 06-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Flawed

Thanks Blkft. I used to have one when i was a kid, and battered it to bits in the woods near my house. Then about 3 months ago I seen one for sale on the bay and kept my eye on it. It didn't reach the asking price anddidn't sellso I waited til it finished and then contacted the guy and offered him £100 immediate payment and he said yes. I couldn't believe it! I was sure he would die laughing. It was in mint condition when I got it, the shell has never been outside and the chassis has hardly ran at all.

I've loved upgrading it here and there, andin fact I'm slightly obcessed now. Each time I complete the list of mods I want to do, I come up with something else. Never ending! lol Our lass thinks I'm mad,until I quietly remind her how much of MY money she spends on cupboards full of clothes. Funnily enough that simple comment ends the debate right there! Great!

All good fun.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:38 AM
kaiser01

here are those pics with the crp chassis kit and some other goodies:

Old 06-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Flawed

Kaizer, that grey chassis definitely looks better than the red one. I'm going to start ordering my bits over the weekend and when its finally done I'll get some pics up. For anyone else who may be reading this, that CRP chassis that Kaizer was on about (pics above) which I also have, is amazing.Although the three sections can be tricky to get hold of, it's definitely worth getting and makes a huge difference to the strength of the chassis.

The part no.'s for reference are CRP1622, 1624 & 1627 (I hope thats right, those no.'s are off the top of my head) The full assembly is CRP1628.

Cheers for your help Kaizer &Blkft
Old 06-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Flawed

Kaizer, 2 things. Will a Hitec HS645MG be compatible with an Acoms AR-227FE Rx? I cant get an answer out Google... andwould thisservo saver be ok?

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/car...vy-Duty__208c/

Cheers
Old 06-26-2010, 06:24 AM
kaiser01

the 645mg is a great servo and yes it will work just fine, just make sure the one you get has the universal connector.

that servo will work great in a monster beetle, if it can steer a clodbuster it can steer just about anything.lol
Old 06-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Flawed

This is my MB in bits. There's no turning back now. New motor, esc, servo, chassis all ordered... and while I'm at it... does anyone know if the CRP steering kit is still available anywhere?

www.rcchopshop.com/crp/1617.html

I wouldn't mind toughening up the stock kit.

Cheers
Old 06-29-2010, 02:45 PM
kaiser01

you can make thatfrom scratch.

get the kimbrough servo saver for the hitec servo, then get threaded rod (here in the us we use 4/40, i'm not sure what metric would be 3 or 3.5mm), rod ends with hardware.

easy as pie!

use your stock rods to measure.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Flawed

OK guys, since I was last here I've added the Grey Chassis, Hi-tec HS645MG Hi-torque Servo, Upgraded esc, Tamiya Super Stock BZ Motor, Universal Drive Shaft Assembly and new Aluminium Shocks.

The CRA Adjustable Motor Mount is ordered and should be here next week, and very shortly I will be ordering the Aluminium Rear Suspension Arms and Aluminium Rear Suspension Supports. Also, a little birdie told me to expect some Aluminium Steering Spindles to pop up very soon. Can't wait to get my hands on those...

OK, the moment you've all been waiting for... this is my running version.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:58 PM
kaiser01

look'n good mate!

what shocks are those? i have some from yeah racing (80mm) and with both sets of springs they come with (blue and red) they seem to stiff.
i'm using tamiya 200 soft oil. i think i may try drilling out the pistons.

how's your suspension? is it soft or hard?

i'm dying to get my mb/blkfoot to have a more "plush" suspension.

alloy knuckles? now thats exciting. i'm also eager to hear how much you like those rear arms.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Flawed

ORIGINAL: kaiser01

look'n good mate!

what shocks are those? i have some from yeah racing (80mm) and with both sets of springs they come with (blue and red) they seem to stiff.
i'm using tamiya 200 soft oil. i think i may try drilling out the pistons.

how's your suspension? is it soft or hard?

i'm dying to get my mb/blkfoot to have a more "plush" suspension.

alloy knuckles? now thats exciting. i'm also eager to hear how much you like those rear arms.
Hey Kaiser,

These shocks are Ansmann 201000038's - 85mm Mediums. (I think on the Ansmann's I'm right in saying that the black springs= medium, yellow = soft &red = hard).I have slightly harder springs on the back though because I wanted more give at the front. So I used a pair of springs off my old blue shocks on the back. To be honest I haven't had a chance to run it yet, not properly anyway, so I can't say yet how the suspension will work out.

The Rear Arms are due to be made round about the end of the month soas soon as I get them I'lldefinitelylet you know how they go. When I contacted the guy to suggest making the spindles too, he came back to me and said they were already onto it! So fingers crossed, by the end of the month they'll also be available. As soon as I hear anything I'll give you a shout, coz I reckon they'll sell likehot cakes!!

You were right about the Hi-tec HS645MG and the Tamiya BZ, it's seriously fast now, which is why I want the Spindles as soon as possible because as it stands I reckon thats the biggest weak point on my MB at the moment. With this amount of power it won't take much for them to break, again!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.