RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Classic Cars & Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-classic-cars-trucks-513/)
-   -   Return of Lunchbox.. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-classic-cars-trucks-513/4013633-return-lunchbox.html)

broncojd 10-01-2006 01:43 PM

RE: Return of Lunchbox..

problem solved...didn't set up the esc properly. works like a champ, now...AWESOME!

Lunchboxer 10-01-2006 08:22 PM

Ah, good to know.. cause I was like, TEU-101 should be pretty darn bullet-proof!!

jplmk 10-05-2006 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Xmas came early this year :D

Due to shop mess up, still waiting for another pair of oil shocks (and I also need to get a servo and the radiokit still). Didn't start the assembly yet, but browsed through the items and the manual, seems that I need all the parts before trying to put this together. One thing I wonder - I got the Tamiyas servosaver kit, but it seems that the box already comes with one, atleast they look similar - Anyone able to confirm? (if yes, then I just wasted some $10 too much :))

Lunchboxer 10-05-2006 02:37 PM

Awesome!! Glad to see another Lunchbox joining the team, ha ha!!

I have no idea which servo saver you ordered.. I run the Kimbrough unit on mine... yes, the kit comes w/ one, but generally they are a little bit too loose for my liking.. so when I run a metal gear servo, I always change the servo saver to some super stiff one (since the metal gear can take the stress) and that helps the steering a bit!!

Anyway, keep us posted on your build!!

(Yes, you can build up most of the car without the radio.. hee hee!!)

broncojd 10-05-2006 02:41 PM

cool!

as far as putting it together, you don't have to have the servo and radio. you can still assemble it. HOWEVER, you won't have a place to attach the steering linkage. but, really, that's on biggie at all.

i wouldn't wait. or more accurately, i wouldn't be able to wait.

you need a 3rd set of shocks? are you adding a 3rd shock in the rear?
question on shocks: if the front and rear shocks are different lengths, why is there only 1 shock kit available from tamiya? does it come with both shaft lengths? i see that you got non-tamiya shocks. that sparked my curiosity further. i use the stock shocks and it sure is bouncy!

jplmk 10-05-2006 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

I have no idea which servo saver you ordered.. I run the Kimbrough unit on mine... yes, the kit comes w/ one, but generally they are a little bit too loose for my liking.. so when I run a metal gear servo, I always change the servo saver to some super stiff one (since the metal gear can take the stress) and that helps the steering a bit!!
It's the Tamiya's own (the bag with "Spare Parts" text on the photo) - I guess it might an improvement, as it comes with two options for stiffness, will try it out anyhow, to see if it makes any difference (will run Futaba's S3050 on it, so it should be handle the stress easily).

Lunchboxer 10-05-2006 02:44 PM

The Tamiya shocks are universal shocks, by putting a spacer inside of various length, you can adjust the down travel of the shock, limiting the travel, I mean, and that changes the length right there....

ORIGINAL: broncojd
question on shocks: if the front and rear shocks are different lengths, why is there only 1 shock kit available from tamiya? does it come with both shaft lengths? i see that you got non-tamiya shocks. that sparked my curiosity further. i use the stock shocks and it sure is bouncy!

Lunchboxer 10-05-2006 02:46 PM

S3050 is a metal geared servo.. You can run even stiffer servo saver on it!! Like this one:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXS361&P=ML

I run that on all my vehicles w/ S3305 servo....

ORIGINAL: jplmk
It's the Tamiya's own (the bag with "Spare Parts" text on the photo) - I guess it might an improvement, as it comes with two options for stiffness, will try it out anyhow, to see if it makes any difference (will run Futaba's S3050 on it, so it should be handle the stress easily).

jplmk 10-05-2006 02:46 PM

you need a 3rd set of shocks? are you adding a 3rd shock in the rear?

The short (yellow) ones (well, one of them) is for the 3rd shock mod (if I ever get my hands on to a couple of extra c-brackets), but I guess you could run them in different lengths (shorts in the front, naturally - might look quite neat). I will have 85 mm all the round, the yellows are 67 mm. Shocks are alloy oils, and from a shop called Conrad Electronics (in Germany).

jplmk 10-05-2006 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

S3050 is a metal geared servo.. You can run even stiffer servo saver on it!! Like this one:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXS361&P=ML
Thanks for the hint, I'll keep that in mind, if I ever end up placing an order to Tower (might need to get the c-brackets from there).

Lunchboxer 10-05-2006 02:51 PM

Yeah, get a bunch of those C brackets.. they are handy.. you can use them everywhere.. :D

jplmk 10-05-2006 02:59 PM

Now when I'm at it (checking the Tower) - Does the kit have any extra ball connectors (or other parts needed for it) for the 3rd shock mod (could not find it out from the manual), or should I get some other small items as well for it? I am new to R/C so don't have these small parts laying around :)

Lunchboxer 10-05-2006 03:10 PM

I used a ball connector... but everybody does it differently, I guess!!

See Page 3 of this thread for my 3rd shock mod...

jplmk 10-05-2006 03:32 PM

Have seen that - I will check what the local store has and come up with something that works.

Lunchboxer 10-05-2006 03:33 PM

Yeah, it is all about trial and error!! You will find something that works for ya!! :D

broncojd 10-05-2006 03:56 PM

hey, i was looking at the website for Conrad Electric...just browsing and i came across this
[link=http://www1.int.conrad.com/scripts/wgate/zcop_in/~flN0YXRlPTEzNjc5MzI4MDM=?~template=PCAT_AREA_S_BR OWSE&glb_user_js=Y&shop=A_B2C_IN&p_init_ipc=X&~coo kies=1]http://www1.int.conrad.com/scripts/wgate/zcop_in/~flN0YXRlPTEzNjc5MzI4MDM=?~template=PCAT_AREA_S_BR OWSE&glb_user_js=Y&shop=A_B2C_IN&p_init_ipc=X&~coo kies=1[/link]

i am well aware that many things in the world are mass produced, rebranded, and sold elsewhere under different labels. that said, this is the stock skyion radio that comes with the CEN Magnum NX truck. the only reason i know is that i was looking at buying one off ebay before i got the controller i ended up getting. you said you hadn't bought one yet, so you might consider this one...especially if you plan on getting other cars/trucks later because this has a 10-model memory. mine only has 2 :( at any rate, if you want more info on it you can go to CEN's website and check it out. i poked around before and found the manual for it. if you're really interested, let me know and i could email it to you.

[link=http://www.cenracing.com/cars/nx/magnum.html]http://www.cenracing.com/cars/nx/magnum.html[/link]

as far as servos go, and at the risk of criticising without offering much as an alternative, i'd say that you could do better than the futaba s3305 servo. 120oz of torque is overkill and .20 sec speed is slow. i think you could find a servo with less torque (still close to 100oz) but that goes around .15 seconds. bluebird makes one with 144oz @ .13 seconds and it's less than the futaba. granted, it doesn't come from tower and i've never had one, but i'm strongly considering getting it for my revo and trying to go with a single servo. at any rate, just thought i'd throw that out there, too. i don't know if ebay has a website that works for finland (although i know i see a lot of UK stuff on the US site) but you might check there for the radio equipment.

here is a link to the bluebird info:
[link=http://www.nitrohouse.com/acces,_servos.htm]http://www.nitrohouse.com/acces,_servos.htm[/link]

that's just my two cents. i know lunchboxer likes the futaba servos and has had great luck with them. but had i not gotten a servo with my controller, i would have taken a long look at the bluebird servos.

the ******* link won't work. here is the part number: 231457 - I5 it is titled a 2CH RC 27mhz, am pistol type. brand: modelcraft. i found it under the pistol grip radio control systems. comes with receiver, too. you can see "skyion" on the receiver. ok i'm done.

Lunchboxer 10-05-2006 04:02 PM

Hee hee.. yeah, I use Futaba on all my cars.. but no doubt there are other brands out there..

But I am sticking w/ what works well for me.. :D

jplmk 10-06-2006 12:32 AM

Thanks for the hints. However, I was able to find out rest of the stuff from Finland (the first set I got from Germany and Hong Kong), so was planning to stick with the Futaba for this - 3PM for a radio (need the third channel for the lights and also need to be able to crank down the speed for the kids - 3PM has these and plenty of other features as well), S3050 for a servo (.16 sec should be enough for speed), and then some batteries and a charger. That's just because I would not like to order everything in, it's nice to go to the local shop and just get it right away :) And some stuff is actually well priced, for example the 3PM and the servo I can't get cheaper anyewhere else.

Lunchboxer 10-06-2006 07:42 AM

Nice... I use 3PM as well! :D Keep us posted on your build!! Post if you got any more questions!!

jplmk 10-08-2006 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting there - as you can see, still waiting for the other two shocks for the rear (assembled the car with the stocks just to be able to test it for setup).

Servo chosen was Futaba S3305, as it was recommended over the 3050 by the shop staff. Also got the radio and charger now, with 3300 mAh NiMH battery.

Made an internal antenna, and routed the power switch for the receiver through the chassis, receiver batterypack is attached in the front with a velcro.

The gearbox has an oil intake, should I put in some, or is the grease enough (manual does not recommend anything else)? Running it in the air it does sound
a bit dry (and is quite loud with high revs), but I guess that's how it just sounds. Should I run-in the motor (Sport Tuned), or is it good to go right from the box?

Looking at painting the wheels - Is spray good to go (a bit tricky for deep wheels like this), or should I just use a brush?

broncojd 10-08-2006 01:28 PM

i used automotive wheel bearing grease in most places when i built the truck. i felt like it would last longer than the thin grease it came with.

i will defer to lunchbox on painting the wheels if he offers something different, but i would say go with spray. if you brush it you run the risk of brush marks, and nothing looks worse than that. if you spray and take your time, do multiple coats, you should be able to get a good looking smooth surface in there.

with the battery, so you're trying to make sure you don't get any wheelies, huh? i'm interested to see how it turns out!

jplmk 10-08-2006 02:33 PM

with the battery, so you're trying to make sure you don't get any wheelies, huh? i'm interested to see how it turns out!
Actually the 4AA pack just fitted in the front so nicely, the middle part is a bit crammed, no flat surfaces to mount the batteryback on. I haven't run the car outdoors yet, but even with the pack in the front, it did wheelie on full throttle (from full stop), so I guess I still get my share of it (hopefully the weight will keep the car from flipping over though).

Grease - I did myself start off with bicycle grease I got, put it in instead of the Tamiyas stuff, but then when I (after closing the gearbox) tried to roll the differential, it felt so sticky that I removed most of it, and applied a layer of the Tamiya grease instead. Now when I've seen how strong the motor is, I guess the earlier stuff wouldn't have caused any problems (being overcautious I guess :)), so I might add up some of that thicker stuff later on. Does yours sound dry (squeeling (is that a word?)) when you run it freely in the air, or is the sound pretty quiet and soft?

broncojd 10-08-2006 02:47 PM

squealing? hmmm...i wouldn't call it that. it definitely makes a...well...i guess squealing might be could be used to describe it. i don't know what i would call it. maybe a whine? but yea, it makes a distinct high pitched sound.

here is a link i found a while back. my truck sounds similar to this one, but not quite as noisey.
[link=http://www.tamiyaclub.com/moviecomment.asp?id=1172]http://www.tamiyaclub.com/moviecomment.asp?id=1172[/link]

your truck runs on AA's? mine uses a 6 cell 7.2v battery pack. is that because you're in a different country?

jplmk 10-08-2006 03:03 PM

...my truck sounds similar to this one, but not quite as noisey.
Judging from the video clip I have nothing to worry about, the sound is something like that (high pitched as you mentioned).

your truck runs on AA's? mine uses a 6 cell 7.2v battery pack. is that because you're in a different country?
No :) It runs with the standard 7.2V pack, the 4AA pack is for the receiver (that came with Futaba 3PM) - I guess you can somehow
wire it to use the main battery (didn't show how in the manual though), but I like it like this (especially since when I get to build the
lights for the car, I'll probably draw the power for those from this AA pack).

broncojd 10-08-2006 03:09 PM

ah, gotcha. yea my truck runs off the 7.2v, radio and all. same thing with my stampede. with the headlights, that sounds like a perfect solution. i have seen stuff for headlights that use a 9v battery, but wiring it to an AA 4pack would be much better.

when you get it wired please be sure to post some pics. video if you can...i'd love to see the lights turning on and off!