RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Classic Cars & Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-classic-cars-trucks-513/)
-   -   Tamiya Wild Willy 2 Resource Thread! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-classic-cars-trucks-513/4086777-tamiya-wild-willy-2-resource-thread.html)

Lunchboxer 03-26-2006 09:40 PM

Tamiya Wild Willy 2 Resource Thread!

3 Attachment(s)
Finally finished painting the Wild Willy 2.. it has a great scale look as only Tamiya's old release can give.. the body is the almost idential as the old original Wild Willy (I had one like 18 years ago..) but the chassis is completely different. (new one has 4 wheel double wishbone independent suspension..)

Not much of an artist, so the paint job is so-so, but it is cool to look at nonetheless..

It is built w/ full ballbearings, aluminum shock kit and all other Tamiya hop-ups, Futaba 3305 servo (123 oz-in torque, I know, overkill!), Futaba MC330CR ESC (handles down to 13T motor), and a 3 channel Futaba 3PM radio:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...3-26-06001.jpg

Great scale look:

Attachment 2239829

That's a Tamiya blue aluminum motor heat sink on the motor.. currently just the stock 540 motor.. looking for some low maintenance but faster motor...

Attachment 2239830

Here before it was painted.. w/ its brother, Lunchbox.. !!

Attachment 2239831

Hope you enoyed it.. Next project, TLT-1..

-Inverted- 03-26-2006 09:46 PM

RE: Wild Willy 2 w/ pics

Not bad, any more plans on the lunchbox, or are you done with it?

Lunchboxer 03-26-2006 09:51 PM

ORIGINAL: cadillac_kid28

Not bad, any more plans on the lunchbox, or are you done with it?
Hmm.. done for now.. thinking about building a simple roll cage because run it without the plastic body (high CG!) it does not flip as much.. (almost never) But I need something to protect the ESC.. so maybe just a simple role bar mounted over the ESC.. and when the weather is nice, just run the Lunchbox without the body.. ha ha.. (it is scratched up pretty badly now.. LOL! Esp. after I put on the 20T Saturn motor, it is a bit faster than stock..)

Wait until I get the Sphere/Neo combo.. LOL.. that would make my Lunchbox and Wild Willy 2 quite a handful with that combo... !

gunnut 03-26-2006 10:52 PM

looks really good [sm=thumbup.gif]

Lunchboxer 03-26-2006 11:02 PM

ORIGINAL: gunnut

looks really good [sm=thumbup.gif]
Thanks man, appreciate it! Got to love old school stuff! :) (it sure won't win any races, though.. but it is lots of fun as it wheelies like mad.. the wheelbase is so short!)

cheeseclip 03-27-2006 03:13 AM

i love it i have a kinda old school tamiya mad bull. the bumper on the front is wierd tho dont you think. how fastdoes it go. thats a better paint job than i could do.
is that a 540 or a 380 in the wild willy 2? how big is it?

Lunchboxer 03-27-2006 07:39 AM

ORIGINAL: cheeseclip

i love it i have a kinda old school tamiya mad bull. the bumper on the front is wierd tho dont you think. how fastdoes it go. thats a better paint job than i could do.
is that a 540 or a 380 in the wild willy 2? how big is it?

About 13" long (like I said, short wheelbase!), it is a 540 motor.. so you can fit any 540 size motor in it..

Not too fast, but wheelie like crazy.. no way of measuring the speed.. (I don't have a radar gun, GPS, etc.) But if you want to go faster, it might be harder to control.. but it should be easy to do.. just a motor swap away.. (any hotter 540 motor will fit..)

1troy7 03-27-2006 05:43 PM

Yeah, I put a nine turn in my wild willy, scary. Not good at high speed, but your right, It was born to wheelie. Went back to the stock 540, It's enough to tool around with in the driveway. :D

Lunchboxer 03-27-2006 05:46 PM

ORIGINAL: 1troy7

Yeah, I put a nine turn in my wild willy, scary. Not good at high speed, but your right, It was born to wheelie. Went back to the stock 540, It's enough to tool around with in the driveway. :D
LOL, I am trying to imagine what it is like with a 9T motor!

With the 9T, supposedly, less torque, right?! Does that mean it did not wheelie? (but just goes fast) Or?

I don't have any modified motor except a Saturn 20T (which is a lower-end motor), so I am not sure how fast a modified motor is..

I don't have a comm lathe so I am not going to invest in a fast modified motor.. just going to go straight into brushless, I think...

1troy7 03-27-2006 09:36 PM

You don't need a whole lot of torque with that short of a wheelbase. lol. It went pretty quick, I did not even try it wide open for more than a few seconds, one little turn and she just tumbles. [8D] It would still pull wheelies. just fast ones. lol. It was fun to try.

Lunchboxer 03-27-2006 09:40 PM

ORIGINAL: 1troy7

You don't need a whole lot of torque with that short of a wheelbase. lol. It went pretty quick, I did not even try it wide open for more than a few seconds, one little turn and she just tumbles. [8D] It would still pull wheelies. just fast ones. lol. It was fun to try.

I think I am going to get a lexan body for it.. and keep the nice plastic body in decent shape.. like u said, it flips so much.. I went out tonight and got a few scratches already.. (good thing that it has a real rollcage! :) Also, the plastic body move the CG high up.. without the plastic body, I hardly flip over.. !!

Time to look for a good looking lexan body.... any suggestion?!

R/C fan-addict 03-27-2006 10:15 PM

HPI jeep rubicon!

Lunchboxer 03-28-2006 12:42 AM

ORIGINAL: R/C fan-addict

HPI jeep rubicon!
I need to look into that! Thanks!

Lunchboxer 03-28-2006 12:50 AM

ORIGINAL: R/C fan-addict

HPI jeep rubicon!

Nope, won't work.. that body is pretty big.. Wild Willy 2 is only 13" long.. the HPI Rubicon is for Savage and that's like 18" long... need to figure out what to get....

raz54 03-28-2006 01:01 AM

Like you said "it may not win any races" but it sure looks sweet.

Lunchboxer 03-28-2006 08:58 AM

ORIGINAL: raz54

Like you said "it may not win any races" but it sure looks sweet.

Thanks!! It is indeed sweet looking! It is also a lot of fun to drive around.. (wheelie like crazy!) It is not super fast but it is not meant to be! :)

wyattburp 03-28-2006 10:31 AM

I was in the same boat as you were Lunchboxer with the wanting a lexan body. I ended up getting a vintage unpainted Parma Midnight Pumpkin body, and swapped out the body mounts with MP ones... Now I can thrash all I want and not worry about ruining the original body.

Wheelies are fun with a 'Box. I'm building a custom wheelie bar that's more stable than the stock one. I want sustained wheelies all the way down my street. :D

Lunchboxer 03-28-2006 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: wyattburp

I was in the same boat as you were Lunchboxer with the wanting a lexan body. I ended up just getting a vintage unpainted Parma Midnight Pumpkin body, and swapped out the body mounts with MP ones... Now I can thrash all I want and not worry about ruining the original body.

Wheelies are fun with a 'Box. I'm currently building a custom wheelie bar that's more stable than the stock one. I want sustained wheelies all the way down my street. :D
Ha ha, nice.. So you are going to make a wheelie bar that allows larger angle then.. let us know how it works out!

My 'Box body is scratched up pretty good already, so probably no point of saving that.. I am looking for a lexan body for my newly built Wild Willy 2..... that's gonna be a tough one.. since WW-2 has a short wheelbase.. Probably need to look into some 1/18th scale body....

Lunchboxer 05-20-2006 01:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Have been playing w/ the newer toy lately (TB-02 and TLT), I feel like I am neglecting my Wild Willy... took it out put for a spin today, still as fun as ever!! I do think that it is time for some more upgrades, though!! LOL! I ordered a bunch of parts a few days ago.. all aluminum front and rear suspension arms.. aluminum rear uprights.. those should be coming in a couple of weeks from now (from Hong Kong, oh well, slow..)

Those aluminum parts got blue finish.. but I am sure it will be all scratched up pretty badly after a few trip off-road.. but hey, more characters, right?! :P

In the mean time, I painted the wheel black to give it a mean look, just like the TLT! Will post more pics once those aluminum parts show up..

Next step?! Aluminum spur gear and one of them Neo 1-Star motor... (thinking about getting the 4-Star for the TB-02, and a 1-Star for the Wild Willy / Lunchbox..) Maybe next month...

fugaziiv 05-20-2006 07:53 AM

I always end up having more fun with my lunchbox with the stock silver can in it. That always seems fast enough to me for that truck. Whats really funny is that I have a Losi XXXT with a GTB 5.5 and nowhere near the amount of kids come running to watch as do when I break out the Lunchbox. There really is just something unspeakably cool about the big yellow box.

Lunchboxer 05-20-2006 10:06 AM

ORIGINAL: fugaziiv

I always end up having more fun with my lunchbox with the stock silver can in it. That always seems fast enough to me for that truck. Whats really funny is that I have a Losi XXXT with a GTB 5.5 and nowhere near the amount of kids come running to watch as do when I break out the Lunchbox. There really is just something unspeakably cool about the big yellow box.

No doubt, you can't beat old school Tamiya!! :)

Haulin Azz 05-20-2006 10:34 AM

you could run a mini cooper body from tamiya on your ww2!!

yama86 05-22-2006 05:38 AM

Willy looks great with the black wheels!!! Keep us updated on the Neo 1-Star motor. I'm looking to put a new motor in my Willy.

Lunchboxer 05-28-2006 04:28 PM

Just got another WW2 on E-Bay!! (by accident!) Oh well.. can't complain, I guess... the original owner decided not to finish the project.. (only the body is painted..) Got it for $91 shipped.. include ballbearings.. looks like it is time for Willy to have a brother... :)

Lunchboxer 05-28-2006 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Custamizer

you could run a mini cooper body from tamiya on your ww2!!

Yeah.. but gosh, a shell is like $30! I think I will buy another car instead, ha ha ha!! :P

Lunchboxer 06-01-2006 05:10 PM

Willy will have full aluminum suspension by tonight.. pictures coming up in a few hours!!

Will this increase any performance or strength or anything?! Probably not.. then why do it?! Because we want to individualized our R/Cs, that's why!! :)

Lunchboxer 06-01-2006 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Same old Willy, no?!

Lunchboxer 06-01-2006 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Metal Willy!!

Lunchboxer 06-01-2006 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A couple of close-ups!!

Anyway, like I said, it probably won't make it perform any better, but it is cool to create a R/C that's different than others... it is all about fun, right?!

yama86 06-01-2006 08:45 PM

NICE !!!!!!! Looks killer. I really think Wild Willy is the funnest RC I have ever owned.

Haulin Azz 06-01-2006 08:48 PM

very cool now get an aluminum chassis

Lunchboxer 06-01-2006 08:51 PM

very cool now get an aluminum chassis

LOL, I know they make the whole Willy transmission in aluminum.. but that's like $$$..

Chassis.. hmm.. probably need to custom make those!! I don't have access to shop nowadays.. so probably nothing drastic like that.. I can only do bolt-ons.. ha ha!!

Lunchboxer 06-01-2006 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: yama86

NICE !!!!!!! Looks killer. I really think Wild Willy is the funnest RC I have ever owned.

No doubt.. it is awesome!! Although, with the stock silver can motor, I do crave some more speed.. but I am thinking that brushless will be too overkill..

At least I thought I'd just put the "slow" Neo 1-star in it..

Then I read the review.. Ah...... hmm... the 1-star goes up to 40mph in a Losi off-road truck.. (not a on road car..) I am thinking that's WAY too fast.. even with Willy being heavier and bigger tires (harder to spin up), etc. I am thinking that it will still be a good 30mph+ when it gets up to speed.. that might just be TOO fast.. (is there such a thing?! :P)

I might just try that!!

Before I do that, though, I will change the spur gear into the aluminum unit..... that's coming up next!!

hunter306 06-01-2006 09:15 PM

How about the novak SS4300 brushless setup? 164.99 with the ESC.

That should run at about stock 27t speeds. Or maybe a SS5800?

Just a couple of suggestions, I'm sure you may have looked at them.

Lunchboxer 06-01-2006 09:48 PM

ORIGINAL: hunter306

How about the novak SS4300 brushless setup? 164.99 with the ESC.

That should run at about stock 27t speeds. Or maybe a SS5800?

Just a couple of suggestions, I'm sure you may have looked at them.

For sure I want something faster than a 27T motor.. so SS4300 is out.. (I am not a racer, so I have no limitation in terms of what class I am racing at..) SS5800 is a possibility.. but I was thinking about getting the Sphere Competition / Neo 4-Star combo for my road car, and then get a Neo 1-Star for the truck(s) (Lunchbox / Wild Willy 2) and share the same ESC... (I know I know.. I am cheap.. But the ESC is like $180!) So that's why I was thinking about staying in the same brand...

Anyway, just a thought now.. maybe I will get the TXT-1 first now that it is available at Tower... Brushless will have to wait..

Or the other way around.. who knows.. :)

Good suggestion, though! I definitely looked into the Novak product.. (I just ordered the SuperDuty XR for my upcoming TXT-1.. it is on its way from Tower now!)

Lunchboxer 06-01-2006 10:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What the @#$@?! What's another Wild Willy kit doing in my living room?!?!

This is not good........ double the trouble!

Haulin Azz 06-01-2006 10:42 PM

what you bought another?

Lunchboxer 06-01-2006 10:46 PM

what you bought another?

Yeah.. got it "by accident" (again...)

Before I went on my vacation, I bid on eBay... didn't think I was going to win..

When I came back a week later.. I just won another Wild Willy...... :P (see pic above..)

Lunchboxer 06-02-2006 01:52 PM

Hi Custamizer,

I saw your aluminum 'Pede post.. what kind of tires are you running there? Just curious.. look very similar to the Wild Willy / Lunchbox tires...

Haulin Azz 06-02-2006 01:58 PM

they are the stock pede tires