Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

tying the streamer

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

tying the streamer

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Popriv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tying the streamer

On our ssc battle axes the line ties on at the base of the rudder. The line runs over the elevator. how much pressure does this put on the elevator? One of the guys lost control and crashed the other day. the mini servo he was using on his elevator was stripped, not sure if it stripped in the crash or I'm thinking it could have been the pressure of the line running over the elevator? ( the rest of us are using metal gear mini seros)
I'm wondering if it would be better to attach the line to the aluminum rails underneath the elevator as we dont use full down as much???

Combat is slowing down for me as I am starting to see opportunities to attack. instead of just looping around the combat arena.

steve
Old 10-12-2010, 10:04 PM
draftman1

Default RE: tying the streamer

metal gear servos are a must, the smaller micros will not handle the stresses. most of us use the hitec 82mg or the gws mighty micro. both are metal gear.

most of us also have a hole in the rudder for the string. if you have a "battle axe" you will see where it is.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:47 AM
GSJames

I agree with Andy. Metal gear servos are a must. I think that it is unlikely that the string on the elevator caused the stripped nylon gear, but any hard landing or even a minor mid air can strip them. I use HS-82MG for elevator and throttle, and HS-85MG for the ailerons. Be sure to use a safety "slip joint" on your throttle linkage to avoid stripping the gears there. The Battle Axe plans show how it's done. Have FUN!
Old 10-13-2010, 08:50 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You know what really scares me. Back in 2002 when I kinda got out of combat because of a layoff I had a whole fleet of A,B,C and Scale ships. With the exception of the C ships most of them had 81's some of those MG's but face it, I had a TON of 81's.

Of course all of those had centering problems or would just lock over full one way or the other. Luckily, not before my 'Combat Career' ended and usually always on the ground. The thought of a B ship doing 80 mph and going out of control, eash!

MG servos and pay attention to the loads they will get. Even on metal gears, the first gear off the motor is usually plastic. IF 82's are proven to work go with it. I found that standard servos take the shock a heck of a lot better and aren't that much heavier then a mini with metal gears. But I'm not in serious competition where every ounce counts.

I could still take your streamer though.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:15 AM
waynebang

I doubt the string on the elevator caused any problems. The non metal gear servos will work but you will strip a lot of gears in midairs and crashes, I have never had one to fail in flight from air loads. I attach my streamer to the rear of the fin on the Lethal Weapon.

Wayne
www.combatplanesrc.com