Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Is combat dead?

.049-.061 glow could still be an option if they have comparable performance to the electric power within the class..but the best combat is flown when the models have identical speed and maneuverability.
    I like the idea of pushers that can bounce off each other. This is the kind of thinking that is progressive and could rekindle the interest in this sport. The days of high speed jousting and playing chicken are all but over around here.
    What is needed is smaller, lighter, cheaper and slower combat with less work to do behind the scenes.
    WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I miss the C Class battles, that was fun.  I find the HOR's with matching LA's or the stronger Magnums on them to be quite fun and very little damage.  Of course it didn't stay that way long.  Pusher, Full Contact combat might be the way to go with low powered units.  Slope combat is fantastic when the winds are right and if you do combat, you absolutely need to give this a try.  It's everything about full contact you love with just toss and fly till your knocked out of the sky or the batteries die.  The only part that hurts is when you HAVE to come down to charge.  Bout every 3-4 hours on my first Zagi.

Intentional landings WITH a PBF are not
    the intentional design OF the PBF

I believe that ultimately it's about having a small group of selfless Contest Directors who are willing to put on the contests month after month, and a couple of clubs that are willing to give up their field for a few hours on the weekend. We are very fortunate here to have both of those things. SoCal is similarly blessed. There are a couple of other areas around the country that also do pretty well. Other than that, contests seem to be on an occasional basis. When the locals know that there will be contests within their area month after month, sooner or later they get the bug and give it a try. It takes a long time to grow a regional circuit. Why not be the guy that makes it happen???
    Gary James
    AMA CD 68845, NMPRA 15I, RCCA #908

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

We pay €1.50 a quart for gas, that is €6.00 for a gallon. In good ol' USD that would be about $8.50
    Who is complaining about USD 4.00?
    People who pay $2000 a month or more for housing instead of it being given free or very low cost.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This whole hobby will be a thing of the past in America sooner than later.
    Back Roads Outlaws Revver #165

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Such Optimism!

We loved the World War 2 SCALE Combat when we started the ASDA & eventually the RCCA. I talked to a lot of pilots who would love to get back to Pursuit Style of Combat vs. the hack and slash of the fur ball.
    I'm still under-employed so I have not been to a meet for a few years but I'd love to do more scale combat!

Scott (Pappy)
    RCCA 108
    AMA 628
    Scott: AMA L628, RCCA #108
    F4U 'Corsair' Brotherhood #49
    P-40 'Warhawk' Brotherhood #103
    P-47 'Jug' Brotherhood #124

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh you boys and your cute little piper cubs, slashing away at ribbons. Yea, those were the days. We flew pursuit in C class too, and demolition derby, and jousting. And we did it all without any of that sissy sticky stuff on the wings.

Course, real men only come from Kansas, so you really can't be held responsible for your shortcomings.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh how we've missed you!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You may have me confused with someone else. My aircraft of choice was the F4U and the P-51.
    It was fun flying them in Billings in 95.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

it will start going again in time.
    All good things.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey fighter pilots,
    I used to do a little SSC a few years back. Would like to get back in it one day. I think promoting a ONE DESIGN in a couple of popular classes would help. Make free plans for it easily available. You used to have to almost kill some one to get a free plan for a combat plane.
    Yes dear, I did glue my hand to the airplane to keep from dropping it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's what the HOR was.  That lasted about a season but truthfully, not counting SPADfest the last combat I had was with a HOR and a local buddy, bouncing around in pursuit.  Figuring out where his next turn was going to be so I could be right behind him.  Lotta fun on a hot afternoon.  Only downside was that the beans were on the north side of the field and Corn was all the rest of the way around.  Had to launch and walk to the 'Arena'.

My B ships use a HOR wing and the last group of fuses were a stretched Deffender fuse.  Next ones will be the Triangle fuse off the UK sites combat ship(can't remember the name).  But that's the next time.  I gotta start building something besides Alcohol stoves.

Oh and no, I didn't confuse you.  It was just a general taunt for the fun of it.  I was flying the JKAerotech Mustangs, Zero and a Jug.  Not quite as light as your PICA's but fly right through the darn things, though I rarely had that happen.  Oh, I made lawn darts quite a few times when I forgot that the Scale ships didn't turn as tight as the Open ones.  Bad time to do a Split S, but they were pretty stout.  Think I broke a throttle servo arm.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, it's been too long since we've enjoyed a good banter!
    It was always fun to pump up the smack talk before a big meet.
    I'll have to back off on my giant scale warbird projects and get something together for combat that meet the rules of the week. Keep warm!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Matching planes is the problem right now.  The local club flys the scale FF eletrics and my SPAD buddies are flying the Iowa bird and neither the two shall meet.  Actually, I think they'd LOVE me to fly the Scale thingy as it would be easy pickins.  Oh, I'd make it hard for them fer sure, I've flown wounded before and got cuts, but it just wouldn't be fair for them if I wasn't overflying them and dragging my streamer into their props.

Well, baby sitting so I've got to get back to Dora

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: OzMo

Hey fighter pilots,
    I used to do a little SSC a few years back. Would like to get back in it one day.
    ...........Good to see you on the combat forum again OzMo, its been a while.
    There's no time like the present to get back into combat. Come on down to the Lone Star Nats in Ft Worth March 23-25, 2012....we plan on having another good one!!
    There will also be a couple of events in Wichita Kansas, next year too if thats any closer for ya. Hope to see at one or all of um!
    Dane "Mad Max" McGee,
    RC Combat Assoc Vice President
    Greenvile, Texas

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think the solution is lasertag. The reason I haven't tried combat is I don't want to risk a midair. Put some sort of lasertag system on the planes, transmitters where the guns would mount and receivers on various spots of the fuse, wings and engine area, and rig it to release smoke when hit*. Grey smoke = damaged, black smoke = you've been shot down. It also allows you to integrate FPV and much larger models into the fun. I, for example, would absolutely love to use lasertag on a 40-60 size FPV-equipped P51 or P47. It would make for an amazing dogfight methinks, not to mention the footage would be bloody awesome to watch.

*I do realize that this would mean electric flyers would need to use pyro equipment, which goes against the AMA. But I'm sure they'll figure something out. Doesn't bother me, if it isn't ICE powered it isn't in my hangar.

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

We pay €1.50 a quart for gas, that is €6.00 for a gallon. In good ol' USD that would be about $8.50
    Who is complaining about USD 4.00?
    Your country isn't several thousand miles across either. Matter of fact, your homeland is smaller than my home state, and TN is nowhere near the largest in the union. Your gas may be eight bucks a gallon but you can run border to border on a single tank in a bog standard family car, something you just simply can not do in America. The most you can do is make it across a single state, though if you hit one like Texas even then it's not likely unless you imported a supermini or something. Even the likes of the Prius or Jetta TDI would struggle, if you hit traffic or something you're going to be refueling soon.

Stop for a minute and think just how bloody enormous the States are. There is not a car on this planet that can run NYC to LA on one tank. Just running Canada to Mexico requires serious customization and an engine so puny and underpowered it barely makes the speed limit. Hell, most of our states are bigger than the Netherlands! So while our gas may be considerably cheaper than yours, it still costs more, significantly more, to drive across America, and this is assuming the same machine is used both times and driven by the same person.

Now stop being a smug pain in everyone's backside, you give Europeans a bad name when you say things like this.

Also, it was $2.98/gal last time I filled up.
    My stash:
    1 rally modded NTC3, 1 HeliMax Axe CX Nano, 1 Hobbico NexSTAR.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why would you want to avoid midairs?  They're BEAUTIFUL.  Specially if the planes involved are made of beaded styrofoam.  The snow will come down for minutes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's it Bill!
    Combat is just an excuse to has an AUDIENCE to watch a spectacular mid-air!
    I truly enjoyed getting as well as giving! It is all part of the show and part of the risk.

@378 let's not bash someone for pointing out facts. Really, how often do you drive from the east coast to the west , or Canada to Mexico? If you do it a lot then my hats off to you. It's more common that we stay in our regions which is the equivalent of a European combat pilot driving from Sweden to Germany for a meet. What is impressive is that for several years we've had Russian combat pilots come to Muncie to participate in the NATS.
    I've flown with some of the Australian combat pilots who have long drives to get to meets. It's great to fly in the summer heat in January!

Let's do some flying!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Combat is not raelly gone, but you wont see as much at the flying field. People nowadays get their combat fix on the realflight simulators combat mode. There is also a streamer cut on RF so you dont have to put your planes on the line to get in some combat.
    Trees have a tendancy to grow a few feet when airplanes try to fly over them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Look, I hate to have to be the one to tell you, but you were going to find out sometime.

Video Games, including Real Flight, Suck. You'll spend hours and hours on your butt doing NOTHING. No accomplishment whatsoever.

Combat on video games? That's like the Kobayashi Maru on Star Trek. There is no real threat. No real chance of damage. If you can't really lose you can't win. The decline of this nation, I'm afraid, didn't start with long hair, or drugs. It started with Battle Zone. Was hastened with Donkey Kong. And sealed with Duke Nukem. We've done nothing but sit on our butts and play games ever since as the only people who actually knew how to be productive got old and died.

Put it away. Go out and buy yourself some fanfold and build 6 or 7 planes equipped and hand 2 of them to some buddies and make them use their receivers. Then have them come over and help make replacements. You'll be playing REAL combat in the REALworld and having REALfun. Not paying some nerd 150 bucks for an idiotic program to sit in front of.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've maintained a fleet of RTF 1/2A combat planes for the last 10 years with very little behind the scenes involvement besides simple airframe repairs. Most planes get tossed into the burn barrel due to fuel soakage before they are considered total losses unworthy of simple repairs with some scrap balsa and packing tape.
    I've never had any engines destroyed, servos ruined, or any other "high dollar" casualties other than the time it takes to patch things up.
    Mid airs suck. They cost us pleasure seekers who have limited free time to devote to this hobby in wasted time that you can never get back.
    Never get that time back. Flying slow and light limits your exposure to the risk of ruining the fun.
    Time is our most precious asset, once it is spent, you can never get it back.
    Several guys who woulda, coulda, shoulda been life long combat flyers got burned out and "off putted" by the endless battle to keep a fleet of planes ready to go because of the mentality that bigger and faster is more fun.
    Bigger and faster IS more fun. If I was wealthy enough, I'd find a group of guys who would like to fly combat with full scale retired jetliners, like 747s.
    As an average guy with limited time and money, I've sought out the most intelligent and practical way to get the most combat time with the least invested.
    I'd say that so far I've done pretty good. I'll bet my ratio of prep time to actual combat time beats the "high speed jousters" and "chicken players" with their 90 mph set ups, 2 to 1.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So in short you want the desk jockeys to "GET REAL". Works for me
    If that ticks any one off well I'll meet you at the field and don't forget your plane LOL
    Yep, they be missin the REAL FUN[8D]
    Yes dear, I did glue my hand to the airplane to keep from dropping it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OzMo, I'll bet we would have a great day of flyin, either at your place or mine...

I don't know why I bother with this forum. The track record of hundreds of "combat minutes" with no serious mishaps has already been flown and will continue to be flown, regardless of what others who have never tried it will think.
    Lou Melancon told me that he tried 1/2A combat once and all they did was "rub wing tips".
    Whatever that means, it sounds more like like he needed more practice or lighter planes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

He needs more practice . . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The proof is in the pudding. How is "your sport" doing as designed as we speak...??
    The RC Combat wisdom that I was "reared on" dates back 20 years before the RCCA was even a slowly burning coal in the fire box. Guys back then had already experimented with the usual stuff and come to the conclusion that RC combat needed to be engineered for as low impact as possible with the maximum amount of streamer chasing as could be had for the time and money invested.
    You don't have to be too smart to see the wisdom behind this line of thought.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast