Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Is combat dead?

Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Is combat dead?

Old 12-24-2011, 06:03 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is combat dead?

ORIGINAL: iflyj3

One of the local clubs does full contact combat with Stykers. They fly each Thursday night during the flying season. There will be 10 to 12 planes in the air at the same time. An informal scoring method was developed and a tally is run for the entire season. Two interesting points I have observed are 1) There is not as much contact as you would expect and 2) They average age of the pilots is real low compared to the average age of a typical R/C club.
Maybe the age is low because Like Cherios, Kombat is for Kids. Ya know those Agressive typs with, Murder in their eyes.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:04 AM
DaneMcGee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: ctshepherd

And done with a 32'' wingspan Heinkel no less!

Wow, I haven't seen one of those things in 10 years or more............you boys are really diggin up bones

Old 12-24-2011, 07:35 AM
ctshepherd
My Feedback: (34)

ORIGINAL: tonyob

That looks cool. What is it? You got links to where I can get plans for that?

Yes, An open B Avenger. 25 FX on the nose. Back in the day.... we also put Mousse can pipes on them to get them to really sing.

I am outfitting it with stuff that is sitting around the shop. Orange DSM2 rx and some MG hitec servos.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:41 AM
Clean

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: HoundDog
]Maybe the age is low because Like Cherios, Kombat is for Kids. Ya know those Agressive typs with, Murder in their eyes.
The closest I've done to stryker combat was slope combat and I assure you the only place where age difference kicks in is on the lower side of the slope. Them young legs make it up and down the slope a lot faster then as older guys. Holding transmitters though the oldest to the youngest play. Not much damage ever from slope combat. The gliders are all made out of EDP and bounce when they run into each other.

When I was flying RCCA one of the strongest competitors was the ole dude that ran a hobby shop in Nebraska. He would have kicked yer but for saying combat is for the young.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:02 AM
Cross Check

Hi All,

Quote:
And done with a 32" wingspan Heinkel no less!

I remember that plane in a photo from a model airplane magazine...[8D]

It inspired and started us building 705...
Then 2610 made it 'easier'.

I am a proud member of the (Toronto) Humber Hawks, who are trying hard to beat the (London) Cobble Hills Fighter Group.[8D]

Our 'shared' backup plane is a 10+yr old HOB P-51 Mustang, named 'Alice'. All balsa, it even has confetti in the LE wing sheeting !
Almost 'insanely' overpowered with an OSFX.25 stuffed into it... It is fun even test flying it !

The name is from Jackie Gleason: "One of these days Alice!..."[8D]

Anyone remember Mark'McCool'?
I was very lucky to pit next to him at my first Combat Match...
I'll never be half as good as him, but will keep trying...

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Old 12-24-2011, 10:46 AM
ctshepherd

ORIGINAL: Cross Check

You just need to take the proper judging intimidation courses and you will be right there! [:-]

Found another oldie in the cobwebs... perhaps I can use the outline and cut some of these from foam for 2548, 2948 or whatever it is called these days.

What is the .25 engine of choice these days? Not willing to pay $130 per copy of OS. Anyone using the Magnums with success?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78505.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1704562  
Old 12-24-2011, 10:49 AM
ctshepherd

ORIGINAL: Clean

When I was flying RCCA one of the strongest competitors was the ole dude that ran a hobby shop in Nebraska. He would have kicked yer but for saying combat is for the young.

That had to have been Neal Rohrke. He flew the IL-10 and others.....
Old 12-24-2011, 11:01 AM
draftman1

the magnums, 25 xls are doing really well out here on the west coast. the newer open B guys are using them due to the price of the FX. they are a great engine
Old 12-24-2011, 11:21 AM
ctshepherd

ORIGINAL: draftman1

the magnums, 25 xls are doing really well out here on the west coast. the newer open B guys are using them due to the price of the FX. they are a great engine

Thanks, I will look up Hobby People and see what the going rate is.

now... where did I put that G10? I sense orders going out to Hobby People, Tower, McMaster... oh boy, what have I done?!?

Name:	Ig11033.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1704565  
Old 12-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Cross Check

Hi All,

The MagnumXLS.25's here are 'broken in' and are fantastic engines !
Highly recommended !

I will never knock O.S. Engines out of pure Loyalty. And the fun, I have with them.

But,

Magnum listened to Combat and Pylon Racers, and hit one out of the ballpark !
Easily equal to an FX.25. And cheaper here.
No 'phoney Phillips' screwdrivers to mess with... they come with every Allen key needed ![8D]

I think the 'California/Texas Combat/Pylon Gangs' and others were part of the development...

Thanks ! We are just starting to reap what you sowed !

Under $100 for a 'jewel' of an engine makes it easier for others to join in the Fun ![8D]

Take care,
Have fun,
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Old 12-24-2011, 02:08 PM
ctshepherd

Nice pricing on the Magnums! Will need to pick up a few of the .15's and .25's. The pricing is out of sight on the Dubro spinner nuts, does anyone have an inexpensive alternative?
Old 12-24-2011, 03:20 PM
coreman

When the weather gets cold and we aren't flying Gremlin combat outdoors we still mix it up indoors. This video is from yesterday. Scoring? We don't need no stinkin' scoring!

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4NS0QVCyL4]EPP Foamie Combat indoors[/link]

Name:	Yw67077.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	1704679   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52943.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	1704680  
Old 12-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Cross Check

Hi cs,

Building lighter tails is a cost effective solution to those pricey 'nose blings' ! ! !
(Sorry, I could not stop myself from typing that ...enjoying beers is my other hobby !)
I want 25pts extra per Round for not using an electric starter...
But get voted down every time !

Rookies ! HeHeHe

Take care,
Have fun,
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Old 12-24-2011, 04:29 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All,

Quote:
And done with a 32" wingspan Heinkel no less!

I remember that plane in a photo from a model airplane magazine...[8D]

It inspired and started us building 705...
Then 2610 made it 'easier'.

I am a proud member of the (Toronto) Humber Hawks, who are trying hard to beat the (London) Cobble Hills Fighter Group.[8D]

Our 'shared' backup plane is a 10+yr old HOB P-51 Mustang, named 'Alice'. All balsa, it even has confetti in the LE wing sheeting !
Almost 'insanely' overpowered with an OSFX.25 stuffed into it... It is fun even test flying it !

The name is from Jackie Gleason: "One of these days Alice!..."[8D]

Anyone remember Mark'McCool'?
I was very lucky to pit next to him at my first Combat Match...

Take care,
Have fun,
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
When I first met Mark McCool he had come to Oconomowoc from St. Louis and joined LakeLand RC Club. He became our club president and all hell broke loose. The old guys had to now follow the AMA rules. Man they didn't like that. Mark hung it all up a number of yers back. That guy could be chaceing one guy on the right side of the box and knew where his next kill was on the other side of the box. We used to build 15 to 30 planes in a week end. Sorry he doesn't fly anymore.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Clean

We weren't using names for a reason. Nice to know some pilots don't screw EVERYBODY. See how I didn't use a name to avoid harming the innocent?
Old 12-24-2011, 06:21 PM
ctshepherd

Building lighter tails is a cost effective solution to those pricey 'nose blings' ! ! !

CC, that is not the problem... got to have something on the threads and plus make it easier to start with the motor spinney thingamabob. [8D]
Old 12-24-2011, 06:24 PM
ctshepherd

That guy could be chaceing one guy on the right side of the box and knew where his next kill was on the other side of the box.

That's nothing. There were others that had their next five cuts lined up and their judges had them marked off on the sheet already! LOLOL
Old 12-24-2011, 07:25 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would you want to avoid midairs? They're BEAUTIFUL. Specially if the planes involved are made of beaded styrofoam. The snow will come down for minutes.

Because midairs cost a fortune. I want to see combat done with much more scale looking stuff in the .40 to .90 size range, aircraft too expensive to be smacking into each other. That, combined with the lasertag 'weapons' and FPV control, will make for MUCH more realistic and interesting dogfights from the non-RC'ers perspective. Anyone who appreciates air combat could watch and enjoy.
ORIGINAL: Fly2XS

@378 let's not bash someone for pointing out facts.

I have no respect for smug Europeans acting like they're better than us because they pay more for fuel. They get both barrels from me if they start that crap up.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:30 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: 378

Why would you want to avoid midairs? They're BEAUTIFUL. Specially if the planes involved are made of beaded styrofoam. The snow will come down for minutes.

Because midairs cost a fortune. I want to see combat done with much more scale looking stuff in the .40 to .90 size range, aircraft too expensive to be smacking into each other. That, combined with the lasertag 'weapons' and FPV control, will make for MUCH more realistic and interesting dogfights from the non-RC'ers perspective. Anyone who appreciates air combat could watch and enjoy.

I have no respect for smug Europeans acting like they're better than us because they pay more for fuel. They get both barrels from me if they start that crap up.
Their fuel is not any more expensive than ours. They just like to pay more taxes. That is where the expense is.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:33 PM

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Their fuel is not any more expensive than ours. They just like to pay more taxes. That is where the expense is.
Their fuel is more expensive. Simple math. We pay around $3 a gallon or so, give or take half a dollar. They pay between $6 and $8. Therefore, their fuel is more expensive. It doesn't matter how it gets more expensive, fact of the matter is, they have to spend more money to buy the same volume that we do.

Also, I doubt they like paying more in tax than they do on the fuel itself.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Clean

I want to see combat done with much more scale looking stuff in the .40 to .90 size range, aircraft too expensive to be smacking into each other. That, combined with the lasertag 'weapons' and FPV control, will make for MUCH more realistic and interesting dogfights from the non-RC'ers perspective. Anyone who appreciates air combat could watch and enjoy.
Oh NOTthat Lasertag crap again!

Wait, DeJaVu?

Old 12-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Clean

Could get to be as popular for me as my love of Cubs!
Old 12-26-2011, 08:22 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Their fuel is more expensive. Simple math. We pay around $3 a gallon or so, give or take half a dollar. They pay between $6 and $8. Therefore, their fuel is more expensive. It doesn't matter how it gets more expensive, fact of the matter is, they have to spend more money to buy the same volume that we do.

Also, I doubt they like paying more in tax than they do on the fuel itself.
I disagree. If they choose to pay more for gasoline, through government policies of their own, then they should not complain about their gas prices relative to ours. Gasoline has a world market value. They choose to dump all of their social government taxes into gasoline. In fact in my state, one third of our gas price is taxes. Mostly for road repairs. Thankfully they have not dumped health care onto it yet. Then we would be paying $8 as well.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:24 AM

I disagree. If they choose to pay more for gasoline, through government policies of their own, then they should not complain about their gas prices relative to ours. Gasoline has a world market value. They choose to dump all of their social government taxes into gasoline. In fact in my state, one third of our gas price is taxes. Mostly for road repairs. Thankfully they have not dumped health care onto it yet. Then we would be paying $8 as well.
You're disagreeing with cold, hard math?

Sorry, but that's the dumbest thing I've read on this website. You can not sit there and, with a straight face, tell me 3 is greater than 8...oh, and stop dragging politics into places they don't go.

Oh NOT that Lasertag crap again!

Wait, DeJaVu?

You got a better idea besides just smashing expensive hardware together and hoping it survives? It's too unsafe to use actual projectiles.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Old Erkki

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings from Finland

No, we are not smuck about price gasoline. But anyway high price gives good motivation to avoid waisting it.

On the other hand we have very good reason to be very smuck.

Still after over ten years of combat flying we have one good class 1:12 WW II combat. Rules are almost same as they originally were. There is some national variation about how rules are intepreted, but in Eurocup Ukranian fellow have same equipment as his competitor in UK. In 2011 Eurocup had 238 names and in 2010 there was 248 names.

Other class is 1:8 WW I combat, even that has about 70 active contestants

You can find more iformation in
http://www.aircombat.eu/

Old Erkki

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.