Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

2948 Dehavilland Hornet Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

2948 Dehavilland Hornet Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 03:43 PM
DaneMcGee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2948 Dehavilland Hornet Build

My next scale project is a DeHav Hornet for RCCA 2948 Combat.
I aquired the CNC machine all files and rights from Texas Flugwerks some months ago and will be cutting more soon after maiden.

Power system will be 2-ASP .15 engines with 8x3 props and bladder fuel system, 5 - BMS 380 MG servos, Electron 6 RX and HK 6.6v 700 mah LiFe battery.
Target weight is 4# 8oz with a wing area of 558 sq in and a wingloading of 16.5 oz

Cores with rods and firewalls installed.

Throttle servos installed

Wing and fuse is ready to cover. I chose this paint scheme:

I ordered covering today which will be Oracal 641 sign vinyl in mettalic silver.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:45 PM
DaneMcGee

Default RE: 2948 Dehavilland Hornet Build

Recieved my covering which is Oracal 641 sign vinyl and covered the wing.....Covering this huge wing added 5 oz.

Per my covering weight comparisons, vinyl weighs 10 grams per sq ft, and 2.6 mil tape weighs 6 grams per sq ft.

Next will be to add ailerons, cut in wing servos and install engines.

Sign vinyl really sticks and sucks into the foam with a little heat......also shows every little blemish in the foam underneath
Old 05-27-2012, 03:58 PM
DaneMcGee

Finished the covering, installed tail feathers and canopy......

I used a Sig 11" WWII canopy cut down to fit.....it is attatched with covering vinyl for a secure fit and a clean look

Tail section is coro with spruce spars ( horiz stab is 24" in span :shock: ) It is glued together with goop and drywall screws to hold it all together. Tail section will be held to fuse with #4x 1/2" socket head screws.

Now to install pitch and roll servos, engines, Rx and batt.......maiden video soon
Old 05-27-2012, 04:04 PM
DaneMcGee

I ordered two ASP .15 engines from Hobby Partz and installed with 2 1/2" spinners. I broke them in on the airplane and every run they got better and better. I am running a bladder and I was concerned that the stock needle valves would not hold a needle like the older magnums were famous for. After several runs they seem to be holding spot on. I am very pleased with the ASP's and for the money, even if they are throwaways, I'm still ahead.

Ready for maiden tommorrow morning provided the wind will get below 30mph! :shock:

After maiden, I'll pull and install coke bottle cowls.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:22 PM
blindfaithnogod

That is freakin awesome Dane!!!
Old 05-29-2012, 04:31 AM
DaneMcGee

Maiden flight successful!

AUW 4#12 oz.
2-ASP's peaking 17.5K rpm 10% Byron
CG 30%

Very nice airplane to fly. No bad characteristics whatsoever. No snapping. Perfect glide with no tip stall tendancies. We have a winner.

Turns as tight as my mustangs but not as fast on the straight away. I think that as the engines loosen up I can get close to 18.5 peak which should improve speed performance. The bladder and stock needle valves held the setting spot on for flawless runs. I also adjusted the CG for subsequent flights which should result in even tighter turns.

Coming to an event near you