Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Ssc newbie needs advice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Ssc newbie needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 06:36 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ssc newbie needs advice

OK This is a little unusual. I am an old fart from the UK who lives on a sailboat in the Caribbean contemplating visiting the AMA Nats in 2016. But I would like to fly in some event. SSC would suit I think, as I have flown combat in the past. But I would be flying in to Indianapolis with just about nothing. So I would need to put two or three airframes together and flight test them somewhere. I would also need somewhere to hold the two/three kits/engines/RC gear which I would order in advance.

Is the Battleaxe competitive and is it a reasonably quick build. Note I will most likely be working in a Super 8 hotel room. If it is not competitive or a pain to build with simple tools what would you recommend.

I would want to be at or near minimum weight. If i cover the entire wing in biaxial tape then colored parcel tape is this likely to be too heavy? If I need to be economical with the biaxial tape where should it go?

On engines looks like it is either the OS MAX 15 LA or the Magnum 15. I understand I may have to run 20 -30 % nitro heli fuel to get the LA up near 17.5k and the Magnum is likely to be over the RPM limit and may require a smaller venturi which is available. Is there much between the two? Can you rework the LA silencer to be less restrictive? IE remove the internal baffle and open out the exit ?

Radio gear. Now I am a TOTAL 2.4 numpty. The last gear I flew had crystals. I am happy with a non computer no model memory TX and the
Tower Hobbies 424 4-Channel SLT System
seems like it would be good enough but really I haven't a clue I don't know my SLT from my fasst. So will it be good enough for combat. I don't mind retrimming if I have to swap models.

I guess mini servos will do the job something like the MG90D 13g Metal Gear Digital Micro Servos on EBAY.

I used to fly with 2/3 AAA packs and recharge every couple of rounds. Are these available the USA?

If I have missed something obvious please tell me.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:24 PM
DaneMcGee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see you are inspiring to fly the Muncie Nats. Myself and and a whole passel of Texans will be there too.

We use the 700 mah LiFe 6.6 v batteries from Hobby King...only way to go.

Try Solar 657 or 658 metal gear digital servos from Hobby Partz.....fine servo and cheap.

.15 sized engines will need to be a Magnum .15 (Hobby People) or a ASP .15 ( $43.40 shipped from Hobby Partz)...Same exact engine, different name....no problem getting to 17.5 rpms on low nitro fuel

We use BiDi tape in strategic areas and cover with colored acrylic packing tape or sign vinyl. Get as close to minimum weight as possible.

BattleAxe is very competitive

Show up the day before the Nats begin and I'll help you test fly. I guarantee we will get um flyin!

See you in Muncie!

Last edited by DaneMcGee; 09-16-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:13 AM
j.duncker

Thanks for the advice Dane. So

3 x Battleaxe plus tape 2 x accessory packs
2 x Magnum XLS
10 x 8x3
4 x Solar 657 servos for flying surfaces [ I have a couple of SD 200s for throttle]
2 x 700 mah LiFe 6.6 v batteries

However I still have a couple of questions.

Do I need the reduced size venturi kit for the Magnum or is adjusting the throttle opening acceptable if it goes over 17,500?

What would be a simple inexpensive 2.4 set. I would not need model memory or digital trims. Just a basic full range TX RX combo.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:51 PM
DaneMcGee

Your shopping list sounds good....might want to get a few more props.

I use the Venturis some on my Magnums, but on my ASP 15's I just adjust the throttle atv to lower rpms when needed....I dont notice a difference between the venturis and closing throttle.

I can't offer any advice on a 2.4 radio other than the Taranis I use on my Quad racers.....I still fly 72 in combat .
Old 09-24-2015, 06:49 AM
ctshepherd
My Feedback: (34)

As far as the radio -- Spektrum has the DX5e. Horizon Hobby has it on its site. Search for it using the model number
[h=1]SPM5520[/h]
Priced at 89.99 with a receiver.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:50 PM
j.duncker

Originally Posted by ctshepherd
As far as the radio -- Spektrum has the DX5e. Horizon Hobby has it on its site. Search for it using the model number
SPM5520

Priced at 89.99 with a receiver.
Hmm that would do just fine.

Or Maybe get the bare tranny at 59.99 plus two lemon 6 channel receivers. at 9.95 each.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:53 PM
ctshepherd
My Feedback: (34)

Sounds like a good plan. I will be going to the NATs as well flying SSC, Open b and 2948.