Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Coroplast Wing warp

Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Coroplast Wing warp

Old 05-10-2002, 10:28 AM
VoughtF4U
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coroplast Wing warp

Okay, I built six flat bats for myself and fellow club mates and they all turned out pretty good except one wing. The coroplast shifted a little as I was gluing the trailing edge so the the last six inches at the wingtip forced a warp. It is a pretty obvious warp when you look down the trailing edge.

Can I hit it with a heat gun or something to try and get the warp out or should I just junk it and build another. I realize I am talking about a couple of bucks worth of coroplast and glue so it is no biggie either way. Thanks...

-Scott-
Old 05-10-2002, 10:46 AM
Tattoo

I've had several wings come out far less than perfect, but as long as the ailerons are parallel to the fuselage for their neutral setting, it's suprising how far off the wing can be and still fly fine. I'm not sure how far off your wing is, but my suggestion would be to fly it.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:29 AM
VoughtF4U

Tattoo,

Sounds good to me, I'll just fly it and if it is out of whack too much I can make another later. Maybe I'll give the warped wing to the best pilot in our group. Maybe that will even the odds some! Thanks again!
Old 05-10-2002, 01:39 PM
Demon

I did remove warps from Coro wings with a heat gun. The hot sun put the warps back, but they still fly fine once trimmed to compensate.

D
Old 05-11-2002, 02:55 AM
propcut

Default wing warp

I've been building my wings using strictly a light duty staple gun with 5/16 light duty staples. I am stapling to the ruler spar and us a strip of 3/16 x 1/2 spruce to staple to on the trailing edge. Of course all my wings are bult with 2mm corro.Since I quit using glue I have yet to come out with a less then perfectly straight wing. That little hunk of spuce weight is worth a good wing to me. Tough to beat a derelict when it has a straight wing! I've taken a few pretty hard mid-air and I am still flying staple wings. Their holding up just as good as all the glue wings I've been fighting
Old 05-13-2002, 10:07 AM
VoughtF4U

Default Flying a warped wing

I ended up doing nothing to it and just flying it with the warp. The Flat Bat flew great, even with our wind we had this weekend. It was nice to have something to fly in gusty conditions and not having to worry about destroy a several hundred dollar plane. Evryone else should have their finished and flying by next weekend. I did have the switch malfunction while flying and crashed it ard into the ground. Nothing happened to the wing except the coroplast split about two inches along the aileron hinge. The bat split about an inch where the dowel goes through it for the tank, but it is still flyable.
Old 05-13-2002, 12:08 PM
John B

hmmm, the staples a good Idea, I just zip tie em...works great and saves alot of time