Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

King Kombat - How do I fix the rolls?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

King Kombat - How do I fix the rolls?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 07:54 PM
rbort
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default King Kombat - How do I fix the rolls?

Hey guys:

Question about the king kombat flying wing. I've got one and I asked a couple of questions about it here in the past, thanks for all who responded as well as identifying it for me! (didn't know what it was at first).

Anyway, was out flying it again today. I'm trying to fix this issue, not sure if I can. When I roll to the left, the rolls seem to be pretty much axial and I would say I am satisfied with them. However, when I roll to the right, its more like a lopsided barrel roll. I watched it several times, and it looks like when I come out after completing 1 roll the left wing is retarded when compared to the right wing -- I mean its flying behind the right wing, as if there was alot of drag on the left side and that side slowed up.

I tried to input some rudder with the rolls, 25% mixing and 50% mixing in the same direction as the ailerons and it doesn't seem to help. Looking at the elevons, can I move either one up or down individually and then retrim the plane to get it to roll better to the right? I'm all out of ideas so looking forward to your wisdom out there!

Thanks!

-=>Raja.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63839.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	86339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88545.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	86340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52310.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	86341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29686.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	86342  
Old 12-30-2003, 10:11 PM
JanR

Default RE: King Kombat - How do I fix the rolls?

hi. try decreasing the down-travel of the left aileron. hope this helps =)
Old 12-31-2003, 02:18 PM
rbort

OK, it sounds like an idea, but how do I do that with elevons? I mean if I decrease the down travel mechanically, with I issue down elevator command one elevon will move more than the other and it will roll as a side effect, no? If I do it with single travel adjust on that channel, then I think the same thing happens.

I think maybe what you are saying is decrease the throw while in a roll, but not so while in a loop, right? Any ideas on how to do that? Do I need to mix it somehow? I have a computer radio so it can mix stuff, so the capability is there I guess if I know what to do.

Its weird, left roll, on axis, right roll looks like a barrel roll. What the heck is causing this? Are all wings like this or is it just mine?

-=>Raja.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:42 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This sounds like a left aileron stick command is deflecting your elevons equally, but a right aileron stick command is giving unequal elevon throws. You need to make adjustments to make them exactly equal to give you equally axial rolls in both directions.

But before you try to electronically adjust the throws to get equal travel, first make sure the left servo and elevon linkage setup is exactly a mirror image of the right servo and elevon linkage setup. The more attention you pay to details about mirror imaging the left and right elevon setups, the better your plane will fly. Then you can use the electronic throw adjustments to fine tune the elevon travel.

Are all wings like this or is it just mine?
All flying wings are much more sensitive to differential throws and CG settings than "normal" planes. But once setup correctly, flying wings fly just as good as normal planes.

Here's my DaWing, which evolved from a King Kombat.
http://mypage.yhti.net/~dmcdnld/dawing.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56035.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	86815  
Old 01-02-2004, 12:20 PM
rbort

Thanks for the advice! I'll take the hatch off again and have another look at the servos. I know they are using the same horns, but they are JR servos and using those cross arms with the bend in them. Maybe bacause of this one bend is backwards and the other forwards and this is causing the issue. Maybe I should replace the arms with bar style arms with no bends to try to even up the throws as you say.

-=>Raja.