Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

"KILLER" Slasher...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

"KILLER" Slasher...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 09:32 PM
468hotrod
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "KILLER" Slasher...

Hey Guys,

Well, I have been bitten by the Combat Bug... I have watched the guys at one of our neighboring clubs have too much fun with their homemade planes. They are all flying .15 engines and small 30ish inch wingspans. I'm going to freak them out with my slasher!!! I have appropriately named my plane the "Grim Reaper". Powered by a Webra 32GT with a "Flying Z Hobbies" Mousse Can Muffler. Power and performance is AWESOME!!! I will attach some pictures. I hope you like...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28824.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	116726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27418.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	116727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj11772.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	116728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25735.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	116729  
Old 03-29-2004, 09:36 PM
468hotrod

Default RE: "KILLER" Slasher...

A couple more pics...

Name:	Nl29640.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	116730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32787.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	116731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk18196.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	116732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53539.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	116733  
Old 03-30-2004, 12:59 AM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

Looking real sharp man!! very good job. I myself own the Ripper but, i didn't even come close to putting that much detail into it. Are you planning on entering any contests with it? Hate to see such a beautiful plane like that turn to trash after the first midair.
May I ask what are you using for covering?
I just love how the plane fly's.. well when it was flying. Check the post of the "Ripper that didn't like the first day of spring" that will tell the story.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:50 AM
468hotrod

Hey Rcfury,

Thanks for the comments. A couple of clubs in the local area have "Unofficial" events. They fly until everyone runs out of gas or crashes. All makes fly together since there aren't that many people into this kind of flying. It looked like TOO much fun so I had to try it. When they have "Fly-ins" it is the entertainment of the day in-between regular flying. Since I spend my time flying 3-D planes mostly I don't see myself traveling to sanctioned Combat events. The engine is a little too big (Webra 32) for official events anyway. It is the motor the guy at the Hobbytown USA suggested flew the plane the best.

The covering is colored packing tape (Black, Red, and White). The edging on the Wing Tips and Tail Feathers is Red and Black Electrical Tape. The stickers were all on sale 1/2 off at a local Pep Boys (They had tons of different stickers but I thought the Grim Reaper theme was appropriate!). A local buddy of mine that owns a Sign Company cut the "GRIM REAPER" lettering. That's about it...

I do hope it lasts a couple of battles... If not, another $25 for a Wing from Lanier and I'll start covering again. I'm glad I bought a bunch of extra stickers and lettering...

Ray
Old 03-30-2004, 08:12 AM
1Jimbo
My Feedback: (2)

Do you pay $25 for just the foam cores?
Old 03-30-2004, 08:30 PM
rcfury

Yeah speaking of a wing core.. I just destoryed mine today when the wind took the plane for a little trip during a low highspeed pass. Fixable with a bit of gurella glue!! ha ha

So you like the webra motor? Im the asst mgr. at hobbytown here and i was thinking of bringing in some webra motors.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:48 PM
rcfury

Yeah I thought it would be fair if you saw my plane too!! This is the "before" picture as i just destoryed my wing today during a cartwheel.
On the under side it says RIPPER in old english style letters in black. The plane is also covered in Econocote with the monokote black trim for the lettering (which you can't see)

Name:	Nl30785.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	117087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42477.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	117088  
Old 03-30-2004, 11:34 PM
468hotrod

Hey Guys,

Jimbo,

The $25 buys you a complete wing kit. It includes the Foam Wing Cores, the Balsa Ailerons, the Coroplast Wing Tips, the 4 Carbon Fiber Spars, the Plywood Spar Joiners, and the Plywood Doublers. Everything you need for a new wing set up. You can buy the pieces separate also if you don't need everything but the individual pieces are more expensive. If you go to "lanierrc.com" and look under "Airplane Kits/Combat/Slasher" you can see all the parts listed.

Rcfury,

Man, I hate to hear you having all the problems with your Ripper. After listening to all of the things you have tried to figure out why your plane was corkscrewing into the ground I thought about something. I know this plane is very sensitive to too much elevator input. I have experimented with different amounts of throws and if you go too far the plane will snap in a flash and corkscrew right away. If you are going too slow or flying too low there is a good chance that you won't have time to recover. That might be what was happening when you were experiencing problems while taking off the other day. Just a thought. Try a very low rate on the elevator for take offs or plug in a lot of expo. The only time I will use a lot of elevator is for landing because of the problem of the plane being so short coupled.

Ray
Old 03-30-2004, 11:41 PM
468hotrod

Rcfury,

I was working in Mobile, Alabama a couple of weeks ago and picked up the Slasher and Webra motor there at the "Hobbytown USA". That franshise store is one of the nicest Hobby Shops I have ever been in. They have a great selection in stock of everything. The shop owner said the Webra engines are one of the best engines he sells. I did a lot of research on the internet and it looks like the Webra 32GT is the class of the field in this engine size. Every review I read placed it on top of its competition. You wouldn't go wrong stocking these motors.

Ray
Old 03-31-2004, 11:03 PM
rcfury

Thats real good to hear about the motors. Ill do a little research and check availabliy with our dist.
Old 04-17-2004, 06:56 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's mine after I destroyed my friend's plane....although technically he won because his stayed (well pieces) in the air longer

http://home.comcast.net/~m.scoles/combat.jpg

Had to get new wing..... This time I took 2" glass and went tip to tip on the leading edge then put the plastic leading edges over that. I used ultracote to cover....

This combat is fun!

Mike
Old 05-05-2004, 02:12 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of weight are you guys coming up with. I flew mine a couple of days ago with a Magnum XL .28 on it and she flew like a dog -- couldn't even sustain lift with elevator on low rates.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:06 PM
468hotrod

Hey Hilleyja,

My slasher weighs 3.8lbs. It has a Webra 32NT on it. I use an APC 9.5x6. It pulls AWESOME!!! It has a thrust of about 5.5lbs with a speed of 90 mph. I have flown it with a Master Airscrew 9x6 but it doesn't pull as well. It is much more difficult to take off with the M/A prop. The Magnum 28 should be plenty of motor for the plane. My buddy just finished his with a GMS .32 and it flies fine. Not as much power/speed as the Webra but it flies it fine. His came in right at 3.8lbs also.

Ray