Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Why do you fly combat?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Why do you fly combat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 04:35 PM
Crazy-Ace 316

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do you fly combat?

This was a very successful subject in another forum by a student doing a report on why people flew RC airplanes.

I would like to know why people fly RC combat just to see if it's for me.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:21 PM
Eddie Fulmer

Default RE: Why do you fly combat?

The reason I fly combat is that it is more fun than a barrell of monkeys!!! More of a rush than the first flight you make by yourself. More of a rush than most anything in r/c!! I like the competition too. As an old commercial goes,"Try it you'll like it"
Old 05-17-2004, 10:43 PM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

I just got into combat. I really like the idea that the plane could be through hell and back and still beable fly with minimal fixing. Those midairs are pretty cool to watch also!!! If it wasn't mine. hehe
Old 05-18-2004, 01:36 AM
iskandar taib

Don't know about RC Combat (I fly the CL variety), but after chasing streamers, everything else seems mundane, somehow..
Old 05-18-2004, 07:26 AM
canadianice

Pure adrenaline rush I've been flying for 20+ years and NOTHING, NOTHING comes close to the knee knock you get when start combat is called. Totaly adictive were else can you go and meet a bunch of guys who are as crazy about it as you
Old 05-18-2004, 11:10 AM
Montague

Combat is a HUGE rush. It's massivly fun. Just watching it, you don't even come close to seeing how much fun it is.

It's also a LOT harder than it looks. Many people just assume it's mostly luck. But if that was the case, then the best pilots wouldn't consistanly find their way to the top in big contests like they do.

In fact, I'd say it's one of the few classes of RC combat in which pilot skill matters far more than equipment. You can get an advantage with better gear in combat, but not THAT much of an advantage, and you don't need to spend thousands of dollars to get a first rate ride. You do, however, have to make sure it's reliable.

It's one of only a couple of ways to compete that aren't scored like ice skating. I'm a competitive person, but having such subjective scoring as you find in many forms of RC competition isn't my thing.

If I wasn't flying combat, I'd probibly be flying pylon. But going fast and turning left isn't as appealing as combat to me.

Combat is probibly the most aggressive type of RC competition.

Did I mention it's incredibly fun?
Old 05-18-2004, 01:20 PM
Lou Melancon

I fly combat because everything else I've flown pales in comparison. I took out my 1/5th Scale Pica Waco this weekend and ended up chasing the combat planes with it. Flying loops, inverted, doing rolls, tail slides and low passes just doesn't do it for my anymore - I want competition. People who fly combat want the rush that comes from pitting their skills against others. In another life they wouldn't be Ice skaters they would be hockey players. They don't want to win by being judged on how well they fly a pattern, or how much they beat the clock they want to beat the competition in real time with skill, daring, and strategy.

Combat, for me, has it all - a chance to design the "ultimate" plane, set up the engine to perform as best you can, trim and fly to the best of your ability, and to try to beat guys who are as good, and in my case consistently better, than you are. I don't need to win to enjoy it, if I did I would have quit long ago. I need, want and am thrilled by the excitement and challenges of RC Combat.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:54 PM
Montague

...they want to beat the competition in real time with skill, daring, and strategy.
wimps need not apply! [X(]

a chance to design the "ultimate" plane, set up the engine to perform as best you can, trim and fly to the best of your ability
Lou reminded me of this, which I accidentally left out of my answer.

If you like designing your own planes, combat is a great place to do it. Airframes are cheap and quick to build, and you can directly and easily measure your progress. So, it's not overly expensive or difficult to do your own thing. And if you get it all right, you can get guys coming over and asking "what IS that?!?" It's a massivly cool feeling.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:37 PM
iskandar taib

In the case of CL Combat, it's actually easier than it looks. Mainly because it LOOKS so difficult and crazy, even when speed limits are used. Things don't look nearly as chaotic from inside the circle. Still, with a pair of Nelson .36s at 120mph, it can get pretty hairy. Huge adrenaline rush, in any case.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:30 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Sport flying for the sake of burning fuel gets old. Even 3D. Building a batch of 10 combat planes can get tiresome too, but the ratio of thrilling combat time to the time invested building and repairing is well worth it.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:52 AM
Eddie Fulmer

One thing I left out is that I fly only SSC (Slow Survivable Combat) Using 15 engines I have had more fun than I ever had with more expensive and larger engines and planes. The plane I started with was just a plan that I got off the internet. Got me some foam and went to work. I like to do all I can myself,even if it's cheaper to buy, so I didn't order my wings precut. I read on the web how to make a foam bow and how to cut my own. My second set of wings came out perfectly and lasted through 2 combat events. The fuse is still going strong, despite being lawn darted about 6 times. The best thing is I only have about 10-15 bucks in the whole plane, and I made it all myself. (less engine and radio costs) I cut 25+ planes for my fellow club members that are flying them and having fun too. Also, in every event I have been to the guys have been great!! They want to help, which is what the R/C hobby should be about, they want to share ideas and show how they have built their planes. There is not much of an advantage because of the rules and that makes the fun all the better. Everyone is "almost" on a level playing field. What a BLAST!!! [&:]
Old 05-19-2004, 11:22 PM
Barland

Combat sharpens your skills. I'm still pretty new at flying. One month with a combat plane and I learned more than the year with my Avistar. With that combat plane (I started with a SPAD Gnat) you don't have to worry about the cost of a crash, or the time to make repairs. That takes alot of the tension out of flying. You learn how to react quickly in very short order, as you are constantly changing direction and orientation. And then, as the others have said in different ways, IT IS JUST ALOT OF FUN! There is an excitement about it that I find very satisfying. At his point getting one ribbon cut makes my day. DickB
Old 05-20-2004, 08:53 AM
aseaholm
My Feedback: (1)

Initially, I started flying combat due to the allure of the planes. WWII fighters dueling it out in the skies for air supremacy. What a rush, every pilots dream, air to air dog fighting.

OPEN combat came along and it offered a number of exciting reasons to compete as well. For one, the time investment was very minimal compared to scale combat. It was also a great way to get those creative juices flowing trying to best your competitors with a better designed plane. Like Montague said, you can go very quickly from thought to airframe. I have had design ideas on Thursday and test flown the new idea on Saturday. The planes are tough and fly very well for a relatively small investment.

As we ran out of performance to squeeze out of the designs, the tactics and strategy became a challenging part. The art and skill of swiping streamers has progressed greatly the past few years. Learning tendencies, seeing angles, and putting the plane in the sweet spot is what keeps you coming back. It’s like how a golfer describes that perfect shot. In combat, it’s seeing the angle, taking it, and being rewarded with a streamer hanging from your wing tip.

I think now the thing I enjoy the most is the people. Spending time with the friends/family I’ve made in combat Saturday night is almost as much fun as the flying. You meet a hugely diverse group from all around the country and you all share the same passion. You’d be hard pressed to find a friendlier and fun group anywhere else in RC…

Combat is a ton of fun, careful though, it is seriously addictive…

A.J. Seaholm
www.teamseaholm.com
HOME of the AVENGER
[email protected]
Old 01-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Pecanpatch

For me it is a stress reliever.
Ive been combating off on all the way back to the 70's with contol line. I had a VooDoo and Spectrum.
We now fly electric combat and the thrill is still there.

You can build a plane in a couple hours.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:03 PM
The Internet Killer

At our club, the non combat pilots will not take you up on an offer to fly a round or two
of combat , even if the plane is supplied to them all set up and ready to fly.[&o][&o]

They are very aware of the addictive nature of this.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Pecanpatch

ORIGINAL: The Internet Killer

At our club, the non combat pilots will not take you up on an offer to fly a round or two
of combat , even if the plane is supplied to them all set up and ready to fly.[&o][&o]

Those guys are Fags!
Old 01-14-2009, 05:12 PM
draftman1

I fly for the thrill and adrenalin rush. I really keeps you on your toes.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:01 PM
rrh

ORIGINAL: Pecanpatch

ORIGINAL: The Internet Killer

Those guys are Fags!
Same thing at my club. I think a lot of guys learned to fly being so worried about not crashing that they can not even imagine putting a plane up that is more than likely to experience contact with another plane or the earth. I also think they think these planes are hard to fly - which they aren't. They may be afraid of the speed as well. Some of us have our adrenalin addiction and others don't. That's why there is a spectator area. Not a good idea to call them names though, especially since we have to share the same field...

r
Old 01-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Pecanpatch

it's not so much calling them names....... its just a line from Fast times at Ridgemont high.......

Jeff Spicoli LOL
Old 01-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

I got into combat with a dogfighter spad last spring. What a hoot!!! Since then i fly the dogfighter as much as any other plane i own. Very fast maneoverable and if you wipe it out ........ who cares, build another one!!! Plus having the bragging rights is the best

Geoff
Old 01-16-2009, 05:16 PM
draftman1

hey flyboy, try the corostang next. I have done some mods that really make it screem! the mig 7 and my draco II are also great combat ships
Old 01-17-2009, 12:03 PM
BuzzRTC

Why fly combat?

Most fun you can have with your clothes on!!!

Dan
Old 01-17-2009, 08:16 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most fun you can have with your clothes on or off!
Old 01-17-2009, 10:34 PM
The Internet Killer

ORIGINAL: j.duncker

Most fun you can have with your clothes on or off!
We might lose alot of pilots if we followed your suggestion.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Reverse_Sensing

Combat is the tip of the sword when flying any type of RC. No other rc event combines the skill, the fun, the adrenaline rush, and the friendships made. I can't think of any circumstance when two pilot enjoy meeting for the first time walking out to the crash site and laughing over how their planes just collided. This is truly the best way to get biggest bang from your RC buck. If you dont believe everyone here, go to an event, see for yourself - Just be cautious to join - Combat is ADDICTIVE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.