Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

North Carolina Combat Group

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

North Carolina Combat Group

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 09:02 PM
caverjoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: North Carolina Combat Group

My magum only turned 16500 until I changed carbs my LA's turn 18600 without much help I build heavy (RSN) so I use light everything else and come in about 3 oz over
Old 02-17-2005, 12:41 AM
Montague

fwiw, the LA seems to turn higher RPM on the ground, but the Mag unloads a LOT more in the air, and I honestly think it out turns the LA in the air. The Mag just does't like the large prop when "static", while the LA is pretty much maxed out.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:40 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Hey Raymond, me and three more guys are ordering TeamSeaholm.com Avenger 1072's which is a Open B class combat, we have never flown combat before and we are going to start practicing at our private field which is in Grantham NC which is about 20 minutes south of Smithfield,,, have you guys had good luck with the combat so far, and there is a club also near the Piedmont Aermodelers club near Fayetteville who is starting combat,,,,
Old 04-19-2005, 02:02 PM
super67
My Feedback: (1)

Why don't you guys get your hallpasses and come down to Atlanta and compete in May Madness (may 7) or the Dixie Nationals (may 28)? We needs some more targets.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:01 PM
jongurley

It wouldn't be any fun to drive 7-8hours to dominate,,,,,,,,
Old 04-28-2005, 02:50 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

JonG,

I have been talking to one of the guys in the Fayetteville club about their getting started in combat. I haven't heard from him in a while but I think they were going to look at SSC to start with. I keep hoping we will get an invite to fly with them or that they will come and join us for a session. The same thing applies to your group.

Your Avengers should be perfect together. I am a big fan of one-design. or at least the same wingspan, models - as well as engines/props - but that is just me. However, I think it will make it easier for you to line up, or evade, more accurately if you are all flying the same model and that should keep things more equal and maybe safer.

I don't think anybody in our group has an open B model that "modern". Most of our .25-sized models are 4-footers or smaller (2610 and 2548) since scale kinda rules here. And the only true Open B I can think of offhand is my old Predator that I keep for a backup.

Half of our flying is with SSC models. Almost all from JKAerotech kits or scratched models using the same construction. SSC is my first choice, 2548 is next.

I would love to come and fly with you guys anytime - or to have you climb on for one of our excursions. PM me with directions if you want me/us to descend on you sometime. Or check the Flying Tigers of Jordan Lake website of the JCAC site for our schedule and directions.

Call anytime (919*661*1805)
Old 04-29-2005, 03:34 PM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey ray.

I did swap some emails with you earlier this year about combat in Fayetteville. Several of us got planes flying in April (rippers and SPADS). We have just been having fun. SSC is the "class" but rules are not enforced, we are really are doing "funbat". If interest stays high we'll probably formalize it over the summer into SSC.

We welcome anyone, anytime. Most activity takes place on Sunday, but nothing is ever scheduled. Usually 4 or 5 people with combat planes and a dozen total. Talking down the fliteline gathers the folks to start a "heat". We have not been keeping score. Feel free to come to the field located a few miles east of Stedman, NC. From I95 take highway 24 through Stedman. About 2 miles past the Stedman stop light, turn Left unto John Nunnery Road. About a mile or two we'll be on the left.

If your looking for a change of venue and some fun you'll enjoy it. IF your looking for competion you won't find it, but your welcome to kick our !@#$% in combat anyway.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:07 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Badge,

I'm glad you've got some action going in Fayetteville. I was afraid your efforts had fallen through.

I still have the SPAD fuselage material available if you want it. I want to clean out my "playroom" (as my wife calls it). So do let me know.

We have our regular second Sunday session scheduled for JCAC this month but Mother's Day might throw glowplug wrench into it.

I would love to come out to fly SSC with you guys some Sunday. I think I still have the PM with your phone number. Is it OK if I call you a day or two in advance to make sure someone else would be there to fly combat? And is it OK if I ask our guys if anyone else would like to come along? Finally, have you heard about the new anti-cut streamer material with #14 metal wire imbedded it. I don't know if its been outlawed yet.

Old 05-02-2005, 06:41 AM
jongurley

Yeh Raymond, we received our Team Seaholm Avenger 1072's in this past week and are waiting on the tape to come maybe wendsday and we should be flying this weekend,,,, they are open B or C 74" wingspan with .25's on them but for fun can fly anything,,, they are well engineered planes, and I can't wait to get started, if you could give us a couple of weeks or a month or so and let us get used to them and practice then we will get up with you and would love to come fly with you guys,,,, so anyway I will keep in touch and I will post some pics of our planes and see what you guys think,,,,
Old 05-04-2005, 11:56 AM
redfred1

Hey There!
It might be kinda nice to work these new guys club into our monthly rotation! I will be gone in June, but should be able to do something in July! Keep me in mind for a stray Sunday visit too, Raymundo.

I should have my SSC P-39 and my 2610/2548 A7M and Ki44 done soon.

Later,

FredD
Old 05-04-2005, 01:04 PM
super67

Like your quote says "there is no way to get scared if you never try". You guys need to get a sanctioned event together and maybe we can come by and get-r-done[sm=thumbup.gif]! As far as dominate goes...............................bring your gear to Atlanta and let's see it in action[:@]. There is still time for you to get a can of "suck it up and drive on" and make it to the meet on Saturday if you feel like dominating! If you need more time we will look for you at the Dixie Nats[X(].

For event details go to rccombat.com or www.hilltopflyers.com.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:21 PM
Montague

Can you guys post the next few events you're holding? I might actually be able to zip down for one. And what are you guys using for rules these days?
Old 05-05-2005, 06:46 AM
jongurley

I would love a list of events also, and I would specifically love to here more about the Dixie NATS<<<<
Old 05-05-2005, 09:13 AM
super67

Kirk and John, A list of the events are available online at the RCCA website rccombat.com. But the site seems to be having some trouble as of right now. Here is a list of the events in the Southeast:

5/7 May Madness @ Hilltopflyers.com
5/27-5/29 Dixie Nationals aka Southern Fried Combat @gmarc.com
8/6 Hotlanta @Hilltopflyers.com
8/20 Tuscaloosa Alambama check the rcca site for more info
10/1 Jacksonville Florida check the rcca site for more info
10/22 Terror at Hilltop @Hilltopflyers.com

Here is some information about the Dixie Nats:

Southern Fried Combat at the Dixie Nationals is being held for the fifth consecutive year at the Georgia Model Aviators (www.gmarc.com) flying field in the north Atlanta suburb of Cumming, Georgia.

On Friday at 1pm we will start with Scale 2548, followed by the first three rounds of electric. Saturday will be SSC or Slow and Survivable Combat ending with three rounds of electric (its light enough to fly till 8:30pm). Sunday is Open B and the awarding of trophies. The site has plenty of parking, running water and many electrical hookups so it is great for folks with RVs, Campers or those who want to pitch a tent and sleep under the stars.

For the first time ever this year there will be eCombat. The contest is May 27th, 28th and 29th with electric combat being flown late in the day Friday and Saturday. Radio Control Combat Association scoring will be used and the rules for airplanes are pretty simple:
- Maximum of 2 cells or 7.4 volts
- Maximum wingspan of 32". GWS and Alpha models WWII fighters are allowed with their full wingspans
- Model should resemble a recognizable WWII fighter and have national markings or insignias.

More information on the rules may be found at either www.georgiacombat.com or www.rccombat.com. If you wish to sign up to compete or to see who is competing click on the contest calendar on the front page or the RCCA web site and scroll down to the Dixie Nationals.

The great thing about combat is that everyone helps everyone else get in the air and fly. Experts are constantly helping rookies with their equipment or coaching them in a match. Everyone wants everyone else to get in the air and fly.

There will be six (or more) airplanes up in each heat and there will be at least six full rounds of combat over Saturday and Sunday.

Last I check there was probably no less that 30 pilots coming from all corners of the country. This will be a huge event where most of the best pilots will be showing their stuff in head to head combat. This is a sanctioned event so RCCA rules are in force.

We hope you guys can make it to some of the events. Or maybe you can get one cranked up in North Carolina and I can get a hall pass.

Darin
RCCA 797
Old 05-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Montague

Super, I was asking the NC guys who run the non-sanctioned events. I know plenty about the RCCA events. I can't make Dixie this year, though I've been the last few times, and done pretty well.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:26 AM
super67

Well at least I answered Jon's question.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Kirk,

I thought you were asking for sanctioned "events" too. You see, we don't have "events" we just get our bunch of guys in a "get-together" and chase streamers (mopstly mine it seems!). We never have less than five guys per bout and I think we had nine up together a couple of times - maybe more (I get confused easily). We try to get in 8 bouts a day - 4 of each "size". We start "getting together"/bouts around 1:00 with testing before.

We fly ".15s" and ".25s" separately. The .15s are almost exclusively SSC-legal although there is an occassional SPAD - but all run .15 engines.

".25s" include mainly 2610, as well as 2548, one or two Spec Bs, and a smattering of Open Bs.

We fly every second Sunday. alternating between two club sites. Check <www.jcac.netfirms.com> for more info/directions and a pointer to the Flying Tigers Site (I don't remember what it is offhand). One or both sites have the schedule and more details.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:04 PM
redfred1

OK - Here is a little snap shot to whet your appetite!

I hope to have this thing up and ready for the next combat day after I get back from China.

Maybe we'll see you there!

It is a ~1/12th scale A7M in trainer colors. My last one flew great and I expect this one to do the same.

Our club combat website is:

[link=http://www.ncflyingtigers.org/combat]Flying Tigers of Jordan Lake[/link]

FredD
Old 05-16-2005, 07:09 AM
jongurley

We have almost gotten our last one of three of our Avengers in the air, and I must say these things are a blast to fly,, can't wait to tie up with someone, maybe we can start practicing at our private field next weekend,
Old 05-16-2005, 07:49 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Jon,

Be careful flying those Avengers. A couple of us have noted that after flying combat for a while "normal" flying becomes less entertaining that it had been.

The other thing combat leads to is thinking of more way to fly combat. Like we are now looking into electrics.

"Oh, somebody stop us before we combat again" .
Old 05-20-2005, 11:41 PM
TheRipper

Greeting fellow Carolina targets,

I'm one of the instigators of the Flying Tigers / JCAC group along with Raymond, piper and the boys. I'm also the webmeister for Flying Tigers.

I'd like to offer my/our services at helping to get more of us Carolinians together for combat madness and mayhem. On behalf of our little group, so well described and represented here in previous posts, please feel free to visit our web site at http://www.ncflyingtigers.org/combat as well as contact me directly through the web site or this forum.

We have our own combat discussion forums on the web site, as well as a VERY active mailing list server. If anyone would like to join our mailing list, please email me through the web site (contact the webmaster) and I will be happy to add you to our group. We discuss all kinds of things, and use it to coordinate our flying dates. Also, this is a private, secure, no-spam or Ads mailing list (i.e., NOT YAHOO!).

There are flight reports, some quite humorous and entertaining, on our forums located here: http://ncflyingtigers.org/forums/com...ums/airbattles

We are cross linked with many of the nearby club web sites, and would ask to you all do the same. Again, contact the webmeister (me).

Nice to see all the interest as we need more worthy targets! Looking forward to more Classic Carolina Combat soon!

Robert
Old 05-23-2005, 06:51 AM
jongurley

We flew our first practice combat heats this weekend, only 3 of use, but it was more a matter of learning how to launch succesfully with the streamer on the back with out tearing it off, we had a pretty good day,,, I want name any names but I cut the same guys streamer twice in one heat,,,,, I was tickled to death, but on the last heat of the day me and that same guy crossed and both pulled hard up to go across the others streamer and would you know it,,, bammammamamamaammaeeee a wide open midair,,,,,,,,,, I lost my rudder fin (only a five minute task to cut a new one and put on) and he shattered my aileron servo,,, luckily I could cut the throttle off and close the carb and it went in with no control in a field,, I just have to put a new servo on,,, and it will be ready,,,(fortunate)),,,, and his he stripped his aileron servo and his went in wide open and when we hit it un plugged his battery so he had nothing as far as control goes but there again he went in to the field,,, and would you believe i no major damage,,,,, so I have to protest to the toughness of these Avengers and other combat planes as far as that goes,, but I must say that was the funniest afternoon of flying I have had in a while,,,,,,,,
Old 05-23-2005, 12:20 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Ah (sniff) your first combat mid-air! Brings tears to mine eyes. Well, maybe not - but ain't it a hoot?

I intended to make some fine tuning trim adjustments to my three favorite combat models yesterday - and found that I needed changes/repairs to each of them. So I have a little work to do to get ready for the 5th but fear not (OK go ahead and 'fear' a little heh, heh) I WILL be ready for some SSC "work".

P.S. Try to be nice to "The Ripper". He sees things - like visions of cuts - but he means well.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:43 AM
jongurley

I wonder what the speed/handling difference would be between our avengers being 72" span and you guys stuff,,,
Old 05-24-2005, 07:04 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Yeah Jon, I understand your concern. We have a couple of 2610 models that are quite fast and I'm sure none of our stuff would turn with your Avengers. The only thing I can think of is to get together sometime and put a mix of these models up and see how it goes. But frankly, I'd be surprised if it didn't end up being mid-air city.

Maybe there are some folks out there who have experience with this situation and can offer some advise?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.