Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Streamers and Sticky Stuff

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Streamers and Sticky Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 05:41 PM
NitroWoman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Streamers and Sticky Stuff

Could someone tell me what to use for streamers that will hold up to the open class combat planes and still be easy to cut? Also, what is the best sticky stuff to use on our wings that can easily be cleaned off and not dry out in the air? My club is just getting into combat and we need to know some of the tricks of the trade. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:36 PM
1Jimbo
My Feedback: (2)

The best streamer material to get is the stuff that HatTrick sells.
Look on this site and you will find it and the sticky stuff.
www.scalecombat.com
Old 08-13-2002, 12:22 AM
NitroWoman

Thank-you for the info. I went to the site and found the article about making streamers. I guess I'm a little dense. Are they saying to take normal party streamer material and twist it with your starter until it is 3/8" in diameter? I also found the Hatrick site. They only have black streamer material. So far I have only flown with 1 other person but wouldn't 6 or 7 black streamers in the air be too confusing? Also, I couldn't locate the sticky stuff, could you be a little more specific. Is there anything I can get locally or is this stuff only available mailorder? Thanks again, I don't mean to be a pest.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:56 AM
gunfighter
My Feedback: (1)

Streamers are 5/8 - 1" wide and 30' long. Don't know what the 3/8" is that you are referring to.

In flight, all streamers turn a dark color. Several black streamers will not make a difference.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:08 AM
NitroWoman

I am refering to the How to make streamers section on the scalecombat.com site. Here is a quote.

Now stand at the end where your faithful helper, or dummy, is holding the streamers. Have your electric starter with you. Take one of the streamer loops, and break it into two ends. Remove the rubber starting cone from your electric starter. Take one end and put it into the starter cone cup, and replace the rubber cone. The streamer is now attached to your starter. Make sure that the streamer that you are about to spin is clear of the other streamers. While holding a slight tension on the streamer with your starter, spin the starter until the streamer is wound up to about 3/8 to 1/2 inch diameter. This only takes a few seconds using the electric starter. Remove the end from the starter and tie a knot in the end. Repeat the process until all of the streamers have been spun.

I don't really understand what they mean.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:52 AM
1Jimbo
My Feedback: (2)

I think they mean to roll the streamers with the starter. Meaning rolled like a roll of tape. I don't think the starter would be a good idea. I use a cordless drill with a wooden dowel in it. I cut the dowel about 3" long then I cut a slot in it length ways about 1".
I cut the streamer, tie a 20" piece of 100%cotton string on one end then I slide the other end of the streamer in the slot in the dowel and use the drill to roll it up string and all. It slides right off the end of the dowel and you have a rolled streamer.
I make my own sticky stuff with syrup and a little grape jam. If you need something sweet you can always lick your wing
Old 08-13-2002, 01:03 PM
sgilkey
My Feedback: (180)

black, dark red, or dark blue are most visible in the air, yellow, light green even orange tend to disappear! having all black streamers will not lead to confusion. do not twist the streamers up like a twizzler, they will become too hard to see. in the old days of .15 combat i saw folks do that to reduce drag, now there is plenty of power and no need to do that. just makes them invisible which is no fun. good sticky stuff is spray adhseive such as 3m77, but it is messy. i use tanglefoot, the consistency of thick honey. get it in tubs at the lawn-garden store, it is used to put on trees to catch bugs, etc. smear it on the LE (i put some in a syringe) with a finger tip. it makes a sticky mess but you can wipe it off at the end of the day, use mineral spirits if you want to clean it completely off.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:03 PM
NitroWoman

Default Thank-You

Thank-you all for the info.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:37 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Hey, just to chime in late, we use plain old crepe paper streamers, and they hold up just fine. Sometimes we get the 3/4" streamer material, sometimes we just slice the rolls of regular old party streamers from Wal-Mart in half with a saw and use them.

The color of the streamers doesn't really matter. Nobody keeps track of who cuts who; the score is based on how many cuts you get, not who you cut.

Of course you've probably realized this, but different people do streamers differently. The procedure you read was for making streamers out of regular Wal-Mart party streamer. 2" wide streamers are too wide, so they wind them up with a drill or starter motor. The problem with that is you end up with a 30-foot-long STICK that's impossible to cut or snag with your wing.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:22 PM
EdMan-RCU

Default sticky stuff

What is sticky stuff used for? The only thing I can imagine is to put on the wing in hopes cut streamers will stick to your wings..........Am I close?
EdMan
Old 08-14-2002, 02:26 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Close...

The sticky stuff will actually let the wing grab the streamer and break it off, giving you a cut. A side benefit is that it also lets the streamer stay on so you can be sure and get credit. The drawback is sometimes the streamers stuck to your wing will cause a lot of drag, affecting the way your plane performs/handles. But it looks pretty neat!
Old 08-14-2002, 02:40 PM
EdMan-RCU

Thanks Chuck,
That makes since!

EdMan
Old 08-15-2002, 02:55 PM
Demon

Default This is what streamers hanging on wings looks like:

D
Old 08-15-2002, 07:35 PM
EdMan-RCU

Darin,
Are those the streamer offered by "Hat Trick"?

EdMan
Old 08-15-2002, 10:26 PM
Demon

Yes, that is the Denecrepe from HatTrick.

D