Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Plane stand plans/ideas

Does anyone have plans/pictures of a good field stand for a combat Gremlin? I am looking to build a PVC stand. Thanks for any ideas!! Several I have seen look like they would tip forward with prop thrust.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Plane stand plans/ideas

use a milk crate put some conduit pipes in front and cover them with pipe insulation.measure back about 3 inches drill ahole thru the pipe and the cratepush the pipes thur the webbingand anchor it with a hook pushed into the ground. good luck Erik58
    erik58

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[img]http://j***amily.org/rcalbums/other_plans/Stand.sized.gif[/img]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thojo,

Thanks, this is a great design. I think I wouldlike to raise it up to maybe 20" - 24" high so that I wouldn't have to kneel to start the engine (bad knees, one replacement, another planned). I think I would also have to extend the front part. Whatcha think?
    How do YOU spell relief?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Raymond,
    A couple of years ago at the Paris, Texas contest Lee Liddle showed up with a stand that looked something like this one. He could keep all of his tools in it at the flightline and have the airplane at the right height for starting. The Stanley caddy is available at Home Depot and Lowes for $20-$30 and works great.

Waco Brotherhood Member #110

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you make a stand taller consider making it a little longer/wider for stability in the wind unless it is secured to something heavy like the caddy. Standing alone in the open it might otherwise get tipsy, especially when starting a motor.
    good luck.
    3-D is for Monster Movies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lou and Bruce,

Thanks for your input.

Last summer I added a plastic cradle to the top of my two-piece, rolling field box (I bought it at K-mart but I forget who made it). When I tried it at the first combat meet of the season I was pleased with the working height but when I took it off I was disappointed to find fuel and exhaust residue had gotten into the top section of my box. So I abandoned that idea and that is why I would prefer a stand-alone rig.

Yes, I would change the dimensions for stability and I had thought I would made a few holes for gutter nails to hold it down. I would not 'store' my models in the stand. I always keep my combat models on the ground - eliminates blow-overs but also keeps streamers out of the way between rounds (since my opponents rarely get cuts on me - harumph - I usually have intact streamers to use for the next round - could happen). anyway, I would only use it as a starting aid.
    How do YOU spell relief?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Next time you see a baby high chair in someone's trash...grab it. These things are rock solid (go figure!) and fold flat. The foot rest makes a nice shelf for your starter / transmitter / glowdriver. I sawed off the backrest and replaced the seat with a piece of 1/4" ply. A couple of u-shaped pieces of pvc tubing are zip tied to the armrests to suit my combat planes. [img]

[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn36829.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	211533   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj22147.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	211534  
    Gary

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow Bent!

Great idea. I will keep my eye out - I'll bet I can find one cheap at the Salvation Army store. I'll check it out the next time I take something down there. Thanks.
    How do YOU spell relief?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, this is a great design. I think I wouldlike to raise it up to maybe 20" - 24" high so that I wouldn't have to kneel to start the engine (bad knees, one replacement, another planned). I think I would also have to extend the front part. Whatcha think?
    I can't take credit for the design, just passing on a good one I've been given... I have a two piece stanley tool chest, which doubles as my flight box. The top section of the box I use to sit on, while I'm working or starting my plane. Some like to stand up ALL DAY LONG, as fo me, its nice to be able to sit down, fool with your airplane, start it and then fly... But as with everything else, this design can be customized 100 different ways to suit your personal needs...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok idid this stand because im a registered nurse, BUT! it is real easy real cheap and works great;
    get a garage sale folding walker...no don't swipe your grandmom's!... i don't pay more than 10 bucks. also buy a pair of alum crutches 4 buck or so, walker and crutches should have the push button extention adjusters. take the "foot" or extentions out of the crutches and slide em all the way appart. cut em with a hacksaw roughly in half and form a "u" shaped adjustable "cradle" make 2.(this stuff cuts real easy)
    use some of the remaining alum tubing to make two 12" straight pieces to make a shelf that is integral to the cradles for wings, spads, etc. that won't sit in the cradle. my .15 HOR rail job fits nice on mine. OR make the cradles out of pvc or wood. make a simple board shelf to sit on the side braces of the walker for your flight box. this easier to make than it sounds REALY.. mine only took a copple hours to finish 1/4" althread and some nylon insert lock nuts was all i had to buy. less tha 15 bucks apprx total cost. folds super easyand small and stays cleaner than wood
    Yes dear, I did glue my hand to the airplane to keep from dropping it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow! What great ideas. I love these forums. It is amazing the great inputs fellow flyiers have. Thanks so much.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ozmo,

I have a walker 'left over' from my knee replacement this summer. Alas, I would cut it up but I expect I'll be using it again in a year or so.

In any case, I'm not sure I follow your instructions right. Could you perhaps include a photo?
    How do YOU spell relief?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Raymond

You and I have to get out flying together real soon!!

(my kid pulled this out a neighbour's trash last year and rode it home. I was ready to throw it out until Raymond got me thinking)

[img][/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo41340.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	211996  
    Gary

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bent,

Yet another great idea witht he wheel chair. But I think I will opt for the high-chair conversion as soon as I find one.

As for flying together, Hmm. Last time I looked at a map Canada was still a long way away from North Carolina.

Gotta go and clean up my two remaining combat models for this month's get together tomorrow - and I need to roll a bunch of streamers. Woo hoo, I do love to fly combat.
    How do YOU spell relief?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

was up
    if you have a walker already but want to use it later ( after you fall out of a tree retrieving your plane) just clamp the cradles to the handles a "u " bolt or 4 oughta do it! ...might be the simplest way any how?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ozmo,

Food for thought. I'll dig the walker out of the attic and check it out. Thanks.
    How do YOU spell relief?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

one of the inventive types at our field used a walker with pvc pipe cradles and sawed the pipe that conected tothe walker in 1/2 lengthwise, then screwed it to the walker. you could use just that method but use the other lengthwise piece under the handle asa pad then secure the cradle and pad with a worm or u clamp.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Check THIS out.
    Maybe a little over-kill, but dang cool!
    I like corn dogs.