Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

What is combat?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

What is combat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 08:44 PM
BoneDoc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is combat?

Hi guys,

tried to figure it out, but not much info out there. Is it basically flying with streamers, and trying to cut the other guys' down? I fly electrics, and the only combat there that I know of is with wings where they try to knock each other from the sky.

Thanks for the help
Old 01-15-2005, 10:06 PM
Skaggydog

Default RE: What is combat?

I found this page [link]http://www.rccombat.com/rules_scale.asp[/link]
Old 01-16-2005, 03:39 AM
Montague

Yep, that's basically it. You can get the AMA and RCCA rules at www.RCCombat.com, for both open and scale classes. (The link in the above post is just to the scale combat section).

Many clubs also do local combat by their own local rules that may or may not match the AMA and RCCA.

Other than the zagi and slope full contact combat, most other combat is all about cutting streamers. (There are some electronic combat gadets out there as well)
Old 01-16-2005, 10:23 AM
BoneDoc

how are the skill set different? Also if someone has a much faster setup wouldnt' that give them unfair advantages? Thanks
Old 01-16-2005, 07:55 PM
Montague

I don't know what you mean by skill set being different exactly.

When cutting streamers, going a little faster can be an advantage, but it can also be a disadvantage. The rules do keep things balanced. For example, in Open B class, you can have up to a .30 size engine, and your plane can weigh up to 3.5lbs. Your exhaust has to be 8" or shorter, so no full length tuned pipes.

So, you can put on a high pitch prop, and go really fast if you want. But, if you do that, you find that you can't turn very tight at all. If you are fast, but can't turn, you constantly overshoot guys you are trying to catch. And then they just tuck in right behing you as you go roaring by, and you loose your streamer and never get anywhere near their streamer.

Most guys instead opt to go with a low pitch prop, and wind the engine up to a fairly high RPM. The result is a lot of pull through turns. That, plus a LOT of wing area, makes for a plane that can turn or loop very tight, and hold that tight turn pretty much forever. The most common prop is the MAS 9x4, and it's usually turning 18-20krpm.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:29 PM
BoneDoc

Thanks,

Sorry, I read SKD's signature, and thought that was his comment