Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 09:27 PM
gumhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang

I too am running a 25FX with the stock motor mount. Over 40 flights no probs...
Old 04-16-2006, 08:07 AM
BDREW

If you plan to fly this plane with speed, I recommend metal gear servos. I put hitech 85mg in the wing and a full size hitec 475 for the elevator. As well I beefed up the elevator stab with carbon fiber rods. I alos use a OS .25FX with a macs pipe... As well I added landing gear ...beefed up the wood in the wing first before joining the wing. All I have to do is hold the plane, point it into the wind rev the engine and let it go....this is my second one and it flys great.

Here is a picture:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85484.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	446050  
Old 04-16-2006, 08:39 AM
Baz
My Feedback: (1)

Wow, flying wires as well BDREW. I'm surpised you think it needs it. I went with the MGs as well (except thro) on the suggestions from this article. I also replaced the weak elevator wire with a steel wire that fit nicely in the provided tube. MUCH stronger/better. I'm surprised with the good quality of this kit that GP would supply such a weak elev wire with a Z-bend that doesn't fit securely in the horn.

I ran 2 tanks through the 25FX ... one more ought to do it & she'll be ready for the maiden.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:39 AM
BDREW

Thanks BAZ...I did not use the rods supplied....I used all 2-56 rods with new plastic tubes..I stress to beef up the elevator..because a buddy of mine had one and coming out of a dive the elevator broke off....so that why I stress beefing up the elevator......The rods used on the elevator are carbon rods cut and epoxied into the stabs.....I rather not take a chance.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:35 PM
overnout

Has anyone flown both of these planes? And, if so how do they compare?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2006, 05:19 AM
gumhead

ORIGINAL: overnout

Has anyone flown both of these planes? And, if so how do they compare?

Thanks!
I have!

There both great flying planes. I have a enya 19 in the mustang and an OS 25fx in the corsair. The mustang is more agile and nimble but I like the corsair better. It is just prettier in the air and flys a little more easier but cranks with the 25fx.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:53 AM
nexxa

Hi. This is my GP P51. I run it original last year with a OS.32SX. This winter I take time to revise it. New control rod, landing gear, ultracote and some modifications to the rudder, elevator and ailerons.

Yesterday, it’s was the Maiden flight, and my first day to the field this year. I think this is not the right plane to start with after 6 month behind my TV, and for a Maiden!!! I bit to exited, I go to the field with the P51, start the engine. The grass it’s to long for the wheel, Ok, hand launch! 3 seconds after…. It was lying on the ground after. With full elevator and full right aileron the plane it the ground like a rock!
I work on so many airplanes this winter to be sure to have some toys this summer; I forget, I think one of the most important points on this little airplane…. The CG checkup!
It was 1.5’’ off target, a little bit NOSE HEAVY.

Im going again Saturday, for a new maiden flight with this plane. Just need to repair the wing holder plate, patch the wing, buy a new engine mount… It will be ready!

Name:	Bz77045.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	448836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64376.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	448837  
Old 04-21-2006, 12:38 PM
overnout

Gumhead..Thanks for the report..

Can you share your hand launching techniques for these two? Do you launch them in the same fashion? I hate hand launching but I also hate wheels on a warbird [&:]
Old 04-21-2006, 12:48 PM
finishman2000
My Feedback: (7)

I have both, a norvel .25 on the mustang and an os .25 on the corsair. The mustang, I just hold it in my right hand, behind the wing and jsut push it into the wind and it's gone instantly. The corsair I hold in my left hand right over the canopy and toss it at 45' upward angle. The mustang is very fast and before you know it, after the toss, it's a 100yards away. The corsair you will have plenty of time to get on the sticks.
These planes are both easier to hand launch than my electric velocity,microjet or the twin jet which I have gone to a bungee system.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:08 AM
miklos
My Feedback: (38)

For those of you with the mustangs, how do you keep the dirt out of the engine on landings!? I have a Super Tiger .25 in mine and it flies great except that after each landing the head of the engine scrapes in the dirt and picks up a bunch of cr_p. With the close proximity of the carberator to the ground on landing, this is trouble waiting to happen.
Any suggestions?
Old 04-26-2006, 08:25 AM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a recommended set of wheels/landing gear that is being used for these planes..I fly 1/2a and belly land (float in) most of them ,hand launching is a given ,,but ..I have a hard time thinking about bellying in a .25?!!...Rog
Old 04-26-2006, 12:53 PM
bent

miklos
I had a similiar situation once with a .25 size mustang. To keep the nose elevated out of the dirt, I attached a wire loop (piece of bicycle spoke) to the bottom of the nose. Drill a tight hole into the bottom of your motor mount or firewall and ca the wire in there. Insert the other end into a hole drilled into the bulkhead just forward of the wing. Not scale, I know but it's hardly visible in flight and makes a great plane hanger!

Name:	Nl30465.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	451470  
Old 04-27-2006, 04:27 AM
miklos
My Feedback: (38)

Thanks bent.... good idea.
I have another question with regards to the inverted engine. How do you all keep your engines from flooding. With the engine inverted and the fuel tank installed as per the instructions, I find that the fuel flows way too fast to the engine and I can even see it driping out of the carberator. After runing a few minutes, the engine floods and dies. I can hear the RPM geting slower and slower unitl it just quits. [:@]
Old 04-27-2006, 10:01 AM
flyeasy

Hello guy...I just got my hands on the p51 and now getting the everything needed to fly. What receiver batteries are used square or flat and what mAh?

I'm thinking of using. Futaba receiver r114
servo: Hobbico CS-12 Servo or the hitec hs-81
battery: 600mAh Flat or square?
Old 04-27-2006, 11:08 AM
nexxa

For your flooding engine... you need to take time and adjust it correctly. Not only your High speed needle, but your low speed needle too. I run inverted engine on many war birds and pattern planes... I found this problem when idleing for a long time more than 10 secondes. Just close 1/8" at the time your low speed needle and watch the result.
But it's normal to have a little leak when the engine is off.

I have a .15 cva, .25fx, .32sx, .46 fx install inverted, when they are well adjust they're not suppose to quit at high or low speed.

Tips: start your engine, let it take some temperature for a minute.
Adjust your high speed needle to the max setting (max rpm) by closing it 1/8 at the time and wait 10 sec. between change. When the max rpm is found, reopen it 1/8 (needle) to make the mixture just a bit rich.
Now you can start working on your idle. Close it 1/8 or 1/16 at the time wait 5 secondes and open the throtle to full, do this until you have a good acceleration, not suppose to have a delay beetween idleing and full power.

Note: If you have a OS LA engine... forget your idle settings!
Good luck!

Old 04-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Juice

I'm putting together the Mustang. For peace of mind, I am going to re-inforce the wing joint with fiberglass and epoxy. This involves peeling back the covering at the joint, laying down the fiberglass, spreading the epoxy, and ironing the covering back into place.

Just curious if anyone else has also done this? Is it needed?

Thanks,
Juice
Old 04-28-2006, 09:37 AM
nexxa

I make the same thing on mine, and change all the covering by the same time. More visible!

I flew it stock (like the manuel) with a OS.32SX. After 5 flights the small P51 start to desintegrate it self in the air! I lost an aileron (original CA hinge to thin), crack the elevator, and crush the little control wire for the elevator.
I friend of mine, flew it without problem with .25fx, but with bigger engine you need to reinforce some part.

To correct and reinforce the plane, I used to push rod wire (include in the original kit) to control the elevator (one for each), reinforce the elevator with 2 rods of carbon, fiberglass all the wing join, put fiberglass on the firewall (inside), change the 4 oz tank for a 6 oz, put a layer of fiberglass in the cowling, put to servos for the aileron and put Ultracote covering.

I make the Maiden flight last week, some trouble with the CG, but now it flies so well, and it look like a rocket in the sky!

Realy not necessary to do all this, but many spare time during the winter.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:02 PM
flyinrog

I got mine!! rather of had the corsair but its out of stock, cant do anything until after next weekend, I hold a 1/2A funfly/pylon race the first saturday of May, after that I have 2 .25 size planes to get together for my summer fun......Rog
ah I'll get the F4U after this one disinegrates in the air!
Old 05-15-2006, 03:29 PM
flyinrog

Hey, I've never had a plane with a cowl before,,how do you fill the tank? should I run the lines outside of/through the cowl and put an inline break or filter?...Rog
Old 05-15-2006, 03:31 PM
BDREW

I usually use a third line.......
Old 05-15-2006, 03:46 PM
flyinrog

I dont know how that works?
Old 05-17-2006, 09:15 AM
Juice

flyinrog... Do a search here on RCU on 3-line fuel tank setups. There are lots of posts that will tell you what you want to know. The quick answer is that the third line attaches to another fuel clunk inside the tank, and outside the tank it attaches to a fuel dot mounted on the fuse. Use this third line for fueling and de-fueling. The other two lines are the standard two lines. One to feed the carb. The other for back pressure from the muffler.

Juice
Old 05-24-2006, 08:59 AM
Cubano8

edited
Old 05-25-2006, 12:27 PM
glowplug50

Just leave it long enough to hook it out the front with a filter or coupling in line for fueling. THen just shove the excess back in the cowl. The 3rd line is great but it doesnot allow for defueling your tank unless you run ta 2nd clunk line which is difficut with a small tank. Or you will have to balance the plane up on its nose to defuel.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:59 PM
BDREW

If you have a small tank I would suggest that to use a cooper line and bend it down...then you can fuel and defuel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.