Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang

Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang

Old 10-12-2005, 06:09 AM
valentrd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang

You are putting an OS .32 ? Man, you are going to have a rocket-

The plane with an os .25 is fast as a bat and small like one. Keep your rates to low on the control surfaces-

Good luck, love to see some pictures of this thing fly. The ones at our club are rockets

Rob
Old 10-12-2005, 06:50 AM
nexxa

Yes a .32SX!
I hope it's going to be a rocket, I love speed! I already test a OS.25 in my Wonder, it's very fast, but not enough... after a day or two of practice, I want more!

For sure, I'm going to post pre flight and after flight pictures... just in case!

Old 10-12-2005, 10:01 PM
nexxa

Finally the Maiden flight as come. I run 2 tank on ground to break in my new OS.32SX and make the two first flight rich with a 10X5 prop at 11 000rpm. Wow! My friend help me with the first hand launch... like a rocket, this little plane goes up in a seconde! The first flight was very tricky... my ailerons was so sensible, just a little push on the stick and it already done 3 rolls...
All other flight goes very well. Between each flight, I take time to tune my control and lean a bit the engine. Finally I changed my 10X5 prop for a 9X6... What the difference in speed. The 9X6 was running at 15 000 rpm (engine rich mixture, not fully roaded)...
The last 2 flight of the day (a total of 10) was with an 8X8 APC running at 15 250 rpm. I take time to tune the engine finally. Like a ballistic missile, hand launch at full throttle, goes exactly where I point it, with just a small tendency to roll left (engine torque), but disappear in a second when it takes speed.
Now, I will put some time on it, the provide hardware in ARF kit is not tough enough, the CA hinge break on the last flight, and the left elevator is broken under the monokote! Need to replace and revise.

Here some pic, before and after! I was making a low pass at full speed when I saw something wrong with the plane! I immediately reduce the speed and land. Every thing was ok, just need to replace all CA hinge on the plane...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81452.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	338263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53464.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	338264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz66759.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	338265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg99188.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	338266  
Old 10-13-2005, 04:31 AM
Clean

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The kit hardware is probably ok with a 25 fx or la in it. With a Saturn 5 booster in it though you might consider beefin it up a bit.

Lookin to get one for myself.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:17 PM
hk

my buddy had a crash with his combat corsair, he was running an os .25 with a 9.5, man... that thing was quick.

He's getting a mustang to replace it, but gave me the remains to rebuild. I had some full size servos kicking around and a spare OS46 LA, I have since repaired and painted, went for the maiden today; however, by the time we had the engine running properly (had to try 3 diff props to get good RPMs) the wind had kicked up to +35kmh, so no flight today. but i'll be running out there tomorrow morning to give her the first flight.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:46 PM
BDREW

I had a little crash with my Combat Corsair last week. A minor scratch.

I am going to buy a new one (waiting for Great Planes to release) put my OS .25 back in...but with a special surprise....a Macs tuned pipe!

Let me know if you see the minor scratch in the picture below

Name:	Yv66253.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	339665  
Old 10-18-2005, 08:49 AM
dkreitz
My Feedback: (1)

I removed the factory covering from my Mustang and simulated the "Strega" look in white and red. This is a short video of how it flies with an OS32FX inside the cowl. The hand launch was a little tense but after dragging a wing tip through the grass, it started gaining speed and altitude. http://www.orlandorc.org/Strega091005.wmv Enjoy!

Dave
Old 10-18-2005, 09:07 AM
borisp

If using original plastic motor mounts check them regularly for possible cracks. This is what I found after last flight.

Name:	Ay75787.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	340699  
Old 10-18-2005, 11:34 AM
eljimb0

Wow. Dave,
That was the closest launch save I have seen. The force that keeps things flying has loaned you one credit.
Good job!
jimbo
?
Old 10-19-2005, 01:54 AM
hk

dave,

How does it handle at full throttle? have you suffered any stress fractures yet? and what's your flight time with the std. tank and that engine?

I have a .46 in my combat corsair but the weather here has been brutal since the last time i tried to get out.
I am out to the field tomorrow to give it a try, but man... if it goeas as fast as yours i'll probably end up 3 towns over in a barn.
i'll bring the video camera just incase the thing rips apart mid air... it'll provide some entertainment for those that are interested.

here it is before it was finished...

Name:	Qo40306.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	341075  
Old 10-19-2005, 04:47 AM
dkreitz

My Mustang flies very solid at full throttle. The engine will run for ~5 minutes at full throttle on a 4 oz tank of 15%. Very small control deflection setup is highly recommended. I have not encountered any stress fractures but, since making the video, I have nosed it in a couple of times and had to make repairs. The first repairs were made after nosing in at launch. The OS32SX was turning about 18,500 with an APC 8 x 7, but it just didn't have enough static thrust for hand launching. After replacing the cracked engine mounts with the next larger size, I replaced the prop with an APC 9 x 7. It lost a few rpms but it pulled much better and the hand launches became less tense. Now, I have encountered some control surface flutter problems and the plane is back in the shop for upgrades. I plan to skin hinge the control surfaces and use gap seal tape on the opposite sides. I also plan to add ~1/4" wide carbon ribbon, along the spar, on the bottom of the wing. The metal wire control rods will be replaced with carbon rods (ailerons, elevator and rudder).

Dave
Old 10-19-2005, 02:46 PM
nexxa

I think for .25 and higher the P51 needs to be a little upgraded to securely perform! With a .32SX and 8X8 or 9X7 the control have to much flex, the covering start to peel off, the original CA hinge are not big enough and crack....
I flew it with everything original; just to judge by myself what I need to do on it to make it a great flyer.

I'm a little bit radical with my P51... but I decide to remove all the cheap covering to replace it by Ultracote on the entire airplane.

On the wing:
I fiberglass the center, remove half of aileron for each wing and install one servo for each one. I decide to install a landing gear too.

On the fuse:
Reinforce the firewall with fiberglass (inside), oversize a little bit the tank compartment to install a 6oz tank, use a 1/32 balsa sheeting and glue it over the stab with medium CA, same thing with for the rudder on each side. Use the second preinstall rod (suppose to control the rudder) and connect to the other half stab aileron and remove the steel rod (joiner). I have two rod to control the stab connect to one servo and finally install a 1/2" tail wheel (uncontrolled).
It looks a lot of work, but it take me just a few hour to modified everything, now, just remaining the covering...

I have some pic and maybe in few days the other one…

Name:	Ig12094.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	341247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73142.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	341248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55815.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	341249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68989.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	341250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55393.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	341251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56595.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	341252  
Old 10-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Clean

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Put your video above on the Spectroanalysis program, 112.43. Really only had one pass there I felt comfortable with. To get an accurate reading you need to fly a straight line past the recording device as close as you can. Most of them as soon as you got by the camera you curved away and pulled or chopped throttle. This gives you a false shift, but there was one pass where you came by and kept it going straight and that's the one I pulled the numbers off of.

112 is pretty fast for a little plane, no? Gets small REEL quick.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:19 PM
gumhead

ORIGINAL: nexxa

I decide to install a landing gear too.
The plane will not fly as good with big old wheels hanging down []
Old 10-20-2005, 05:25 AM
dkreitz

Clean,
Thanks for analyzing the video. I have been curious about the speed it was flying. I will try to keep you recommendations in mind for more accurate analysis after I finish with the upgrades.

Nexxa,
Yeah, I already epoxied in carbon cloth behind the firewall and on the inside surface of the cowl and lower fuselage in front of the wing. I think I will also go with your recommendations concerning the ailerons (shorter with separate servos in the wing like on the Corsair). But, forget the wheels.

Dave
Old 10-20-2005, 08:10 AM
nexxa

I know, the wheels will slow it down a bit, but I'm curious how many mph I'm gona lost. I like this plane and it's fast enough with or without wheels, for me! Just want to make it beautiful!

Tell me "dkreitz", which Prop are you using on the video to take 112 mph? 9X6, 9X7, 8X8, 8X9 ???
Thanks,
Old 10-20-2005, 08:51 AM
dkreitz

I believe that the prop was an APC 8 x 7 for that run. But, the static thrust was lacking for the hand launch, as evident in the video. It launches much better with the APC 9 x 7 prop. Also, in the photo you will see that I have significantly reduced the size of the canope and belly intake scoop (not visible) in order to reduce drag.

Dave

Old 10-20-2005, 08:52 AM
dkreitz

Forgot the photo!!!

Name:	Ge94355.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	341578  
Old 10-20-2005, 05:14 PM
ARF Guy

Yep! Bought the Corsair, added rudder and landing gear and have a great flying "sport" warbird. Flies with a Magnum .30 4 stroke, sounds great uses no fuel. Used a caster tail wheel and it makes for some comical taxiing in wind!

Name:	Ki18591.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	341694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60999.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	341695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48240.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	341696  
Old 10-21-2005, 02:44 AM
borisp

Great looking plane ARF Guy, believe sound is adequate [8D].
Old 10-23-2005, 05:54 PM
matacin
My Feedback: (-1)

My P-51 is faster with the .15 rather than the .25 with a 8x4 APC prop, hand launches no assistant not a problem.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:34 PM
hk

well... finally got the maiden launch today.

ran the first tank pretty rich just so i couldnt push it too hard. Second tank was leaned out a fair amount, it had some serious speed at full throttle.
i am running a 10x6 on the 46LA and have enough low end that the launches were nice and smooth. After the 2nd flight there was some obvious stress wear on the control surfaces as well as the vertical stabilizer(which isn't so stable anymore). It will go back on the the work bench for a few mods.

with the 46 and standard tank i lasted just under 3min on the first flight and just over 4min on the second. I might try to retro fit a bigger tank in there for the next flight.

We had some problems with the video so i will bring it up next time and link it.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:40 PM
corvett

Just a follow up. We are still having good luck launching the corsairs with a dolly. The good news is we finally figgered out how to hand launch without having a wild takeoff. I am using low rates at 3/16 " on the ailerons. We point the nose up at a slight angle and give it a hard toss. Untill we tried this method , every launch was hide the women and children and duck. I am sure the wild launches are due to the fact two of the guys are using os 32sx's and I am using an os 46fx. Also there isn't any air flowing over the control surfaces untill there is some speed. In any event , these corsairs with the big engines fly like they are on rails. too much fun
Old 10-24-2005, 12:09 AM
hk

corvette...

did you have a balancing issue with the fx? i have a spare one sitting here but though it would be too tough to balance, so i threw on a 46LA i had.
The LA doenst really have the power that the FX does i'd love to see this thing go even faster.

another concern is landing it... if it is invert mounted how did you stop the casing from coming into contact with the ground on landing? I have to pick grass out of the glow plug area everytime, even with the skid plates i installed.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:06 PM
regets ama
My Feedback: (4)

interesting, i too put on some home made landing gear, just a skid on the rear and two light aluminum bent bar strips on the wings. had to remove some wing skin and reinforce for bolt on. it taxis well and flies great. using a magnum 30 fs with 9x5 prop. gets it going!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.