Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

V tail flatbat setup

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

V tail flatbat setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 03:46 AM
JL636
My Feedback: (79)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V tail flatbat setup

I recently bought a V tail flat bat and want to set it up correctly. I see by the instruction sheet I can go with a 6 oz. tank. The instructions indicate that it should be mounted on top of the fuse directly behind the engine. Can it be mounted inside the "bat" or would fuel foaming be a problem? I have no clue as to what size engine I should use, got a couple of OS 40's (FP & SF) too heavy or should I go smaller say something like a 32 OS? And last but not least, there is nothing on the info sheet that indicates any type of CG..any suggestions? I want to do this right so any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-08-2002, 04:02 AM
gunfighter
My Feedback: (1)

I fly flat bats all the time. Mine have Norvel .25's and MDS .28's on them. I fly "B" class combat and they are very combetative.
A 6 oz, tank will fit inside the bat. Just cut a hole in the center of a Dave Brown mount for the fuel lines to exit the fuse. Stuff a little foam under and on top of the tank.
You didn't say what type wing you have. I fly a 48" RNAF dogfighter wing. Balance is 3" back at fuse.
If you fly a flat bottom wing, make sure and "reflex" the ailerons up about 3/16". This will help considerably with trim.
The "Flat Bat" is fast with a .25 or .28. It would be very fast with a .32. Most .40's will not fly as fast as a good .25 or .32 because they do not turn as many RPM's.
If you keep the weight to around 3 pounds all up, the bat will turn as tight as anything out there and looses very little speed in the turn.
Hope this helps.
Gunfighter
Old 09-08-2002, 04:12 AM
JL636

The wing span is 40" and has a semi symetrical wing. I've been leaning towards a "32" and thats what I'll look for. Thanks for the comeback, appreciate it.
Old 09-09-2002, 02:01 AM
gunfighter

A 40" symetrical wing is going to be very fast with a .32. Set your balance at 22% to start with and move it back very slowly. Set control throws conservatively at first. A V-tail will go into a spin faster than a conventional tail. It is also very hard to recover. Good luck.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:41 AM
JL636

The "32" has gone by the wayside, I managed to pick up a OS 25FX. When you indicated a distance of 22% is this back from the tip of the spinner? Sorry but I'm sort of confused on what you meant. Also, the wing is not fully symetrical, its semi symetrical. Sounds like I'm going to have my hands full!
Old 09-10-2002, 03:22 PM
gunfighter

I'm not trying to be mean or insulting, but have you flown R/C for long?
If you have not, this is not the plane to learn on. It is fast and very responsive, and will not give you much time to think about what you are going to do next.
To set the C/G. Measure the wing chord at the root (center) and the tip. Add these measurements together and divide by 2. Multiply the sum by .22. This is the distance back from the leading edge of the wing to balance the airplane. After a few flights, if you want a more responsive plane, you can move the C/G back a little.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:58 AM
JL636

I under stand that you are a little skeptical regarding my question, but I've been flying for about 10 years. My latest venture is plyon racing type of aircraft (quickee/46SF). The only reason I asked that question is that I want to make sure I have ALL the facts and all questions/doubts etc plus all my i's dotted and my t's crossed. As in plyon racing, you'd better have your witts about you or its over before it began. I guess I have a tendancy to be over analitcal.