Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Airkill Airplanes Let See Um!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Airkill Airplanes Let See Um!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 06:39 AM
tdstaf
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Airkill?

hey ye ha very nice plane and flys well also. i have build and flown every one of jeffs 1/12 scale planes and wont fly any thing else anymore when it comes to small planes. i have also flown and built a number of his prototypes for scale racing (swra) and they all fly very well. i use mostly mvvs .21 or .26s in all of the 1/12 scale planes and they fly very well and have lots of power when u need it AND TAKE JEFFS ADDVICE ON THE LONG APROCHES IT WORKS WELL. if u can get a .hold of the air kill kits build them. hope that helps.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:10 AM
yee-ha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply tdstaf. I look foward to getting this thing in the air! However, here in Minnesota waiting for the world outside to thaw out is what takes the longest!
Old 01-08-2006, 07:06 PM
yee-ha

Wings done...
Servos are installed... Tank installed. Engine Mount is in. Still waiting on the engine. Should have the entire plane flyable by next weekend. Then I will have to wait about four months to fly it! Ki-61 is up next.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54329.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	383744  
Old 01-08-2006, 09:41 PM
smokingwreckage

After all the good things I've heard on the forums about Norvells I decided to try one for pylon racing. Backordered everywhere. I started checking about the web. It seems Norvell built a new high-tech CAM facility and started the production of the new .46 there. I figure Norvell is now moving production of all their engines to the new facility. I hope this is a good thing because there seems to have been some problems with manufacturing consistency that the new CAM equipment should solve.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:52 PM
yee-ha

Well everybody, I have been trying to wait to post pictures of this plane until it is 100% done, but I can't take it anymore! I must show it off! I still need to work on the cowling. It still needs to be cut up for the muffler and carb. Then blisters, and I think I might paint the cowl yellow or maybe white.... Whats your vote? Then throttle and elevator linkage... Weight and balance. What do you guys think so far?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31558.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	388929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46450.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	388930  
Old 01-20-2006, 02:26 PM
TxCombatGuy

Very nice! Great work! Let us know ho it flies!
Old 01-20-2006, 07:20 PM
yee-ha

Everybody swing over to the warbird forum to see this plane finished. Macchi MC200 Show-off is the title.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:25 PM
yee-ha

Default RE: Airkill Airplanes Let See Um!

Well after several months of admiring the bird, I actually decied to fly it today. I have never flown a plane this small ever. I had no idea what to expect, other than it would be a handful. I never expected it to live through the first flight. I started up the brand new Magnum .15 and gave it a left handed toss. It ubruptly turned left and dove for the dirt. I saved it, but the butt end was draggin' and I set it down in the weeds undamaged. Wow cool! One successful flight! I fired it back up, and this time threw it hard with my right arm, because I decied it wasn't up to flying speed the first time. This time, It rolled 90 degrees to the left and headed for the dirt. Saved it again... Butt still draggin, speed increasing... It's flying!!!! Put on some altitude, and flew around a bit... Seemed to be tip stalling constantly. Turn left and the plane would go right, etc. Then I realized that my elevator dual rate was on high. Switched it to low and calmed down a little. Now the plane flew perfect. Two clicks of aileron trip, two clicks of down elevator. I made some high speed runs around the yard, and then slowed down and went by a few times. I always think a warbird looks best low and slow so you can see it well. Despite the small size, I was impressed with how well I could see the airplane. I had no trouble with the plane being so small. Kinda cool actually. Ok time to land. Thought I would do one for practice, then go around and try it for real. I flew a long approach, and it started getting hard to see when coming toward me. No prob.... Whoops, to slow.. Throttle.... This thing sinks like a brick with so little wing. Landed in the bean field. I hoped it would be in one peace. It wasn't. The wing detached itself from the rest of the plane. Hit to hard and the wing mounting failed. Broke the fuse a little. Probably repairable. I'm not sure I'll fix it. This thing is a pain because it is so small and getting everything in there is terrible. I can also see why electrics are so popular these days. This plane would have been awesome built as an electric. Still the landings are going to be difficult everytime. It must be flown in really fast. If I had not had previous experence with a shrike this plane would have never lived as long as it did.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:21 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Airkill Airplanes Let See Um!

Yee-haw... Sorry to hear you are not that happy. If you get the bug again you should try to find plans for the Hergett TA 152. Should be available through the RC combat website. Now that is one of the best flying planes I have ever owned. Very easy to fly and hand launch. Remeber competition planes are generally easy to fly (the ones that win anyway) and the TA 152 dominated the 2610 event until the open class took over. You can get many of these designs to fly well by using an eppler 203 airfoil and adding a couple of degrees of washout. This will allow you to slow them down. I could land my TA 152 very slow and they were always a pleasure to fly. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:03 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Also, with Marginal 15 power, and the Magnum though a fine engine is marginal, hand launches are a pain. When they were doing handlaunch 15 size, catapults were really the rage. Now we stick 25's in the nose of that model and handlaunches are easier, catapults not necesary. They do torque left though with either engine. Frankly though it sounds like scale combat planes aren't your cup o tea. It's no sin. You can still build the cute little buggers and stickem on the wall. There are a number of 40 and 60 size warbirds many of them ARF's that are quick builds, good looking and easy fliers. Surely there's one just your size out there and I hope ya find it, they do look good in the air. But low and slow? NAH, full speed burner passes is what they're made for. Well, that and tieing streamer to tail and chasing another one.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:31 PM
jgo

Does anyone have a set of plans for the Airkill 1/12 scale combat launcher